• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sierra's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

red5677

Non-Existent Elite Four Champ
Years
You have to repoint the new text if the newer one is longer than the previous one.
So I actually just tried copy and pasting it, but it doesn't work. I put the same offset onto the person and when I talk to him nothing happens. I wanted to edit the script so that the first gym leader gives me the pokemon and goes inside so i can battle him....... I know that's too much to ask but I'm just putting it out there...

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
So I actually just tried copy and pasting it, but it doesn't work. I put the same offset onto the person and when I talk to him nothing happens. I wanted to edit the script so that the first gym leader gives me the pokemon and goes inside so i can battle him....... I know that's too much to ask but I'm just putting it out there...

Why won't you read the whole tutorial and try the things being taught on the way so you will understand it better.

Also I think it will be better if you don't edit that script and rewrite the script and just make that old script as a guide into making your script.

red5677

Non-Existent Elite Four Champ
Years

Why won't you read the whole tutorial and try the things being taught on the way so you will understand it better.

Also I think it will be better if you don't edit that script and rewrite the script and just make that old script as a guide into making your script.
You don't think I read it lol? I couldn't find anything on the starter pokemon event so I asked. Plus I'm really having a hard time understanding all of the flags and stuff.

Years
I have a question.

I made this code to stop the player from continuing without a pokedex in pokemon Ruby.
This happens when he is standing on a certain tile. I've changed the var number to 4050 in a-map and I tried the unknown to 300, but there only fit 2 numbers, but when I look at other script tiles with applymovement, they use var value 0003, so I did that too, but my script will not activate on the tile. Here is my code:

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
checkflag 0x801
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move1
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @2 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move2
applymovement 0x07 @move3
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @3 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move4
waitmovement 0x0
release
end

#org @done
release
end

#org @move1
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x00
#raw 0xFE

#org @move3
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move4
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x02
#raw 0xFE

#org @1
= Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiit!!!!!

#org @2
= You cannot go there

#org @3
= Get a pokedex first

If anyone could help me, that'd be great

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I have a question.

I made this code to stop the player from continuing without a pokedex in pokemon Ruby.
This happens when he is standing on a certain tile. I've changed the var number to 4050 in a-map and I tried the unknown to 300, but there only fit 2 numbers, but when I look at other script tiles with applymovement, they use var value 0003, so I did that too, but my script will not activate on the tile. Here is my code:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
checkflag 0x801
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move1
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @2 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move2
applymovement 0x07 @move3
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @3 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move4
waitmovement 0x0
release 
end

#org @done
release
end

#org @move1
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x00
#raw 0xFE

#org @move3
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move4
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x02
#raw 0xFE

#org @1
= Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiit!!!!!

#org @2
= You cannot go there

#org @3
= Get a pokedex first

If anyone could help me, that'd be great

First thing I noticed, there is no lock effect. Does it freeze? A script can't release if it doesn't have anything locked therefore resulting in a freeze. And you did put 0300 in the unknown right? Not 300? Oh, and try not putting anything in the unknown box.

NOTE: In the screenshot, he was using A-Map 1.92 so maybe you are using 1.95 so you see only two digits fit there. Try putting 00 on the unknown field but fill out the Var Number Section with 4050.

Years
First thing I noticed, there is no lock effect. Does it freeze? A script can't release if it doesn't have anything locked therefore resulting in a freeze. And you did put 0300 in the unknown right? Not 300? Oh, and try not putting anything in the unknown box.

NOTE: In the screenshot, he was using A-Map 1.92 so maybe you are using 1.95 so you see only two digits fit there. Try putting 00 on the unknown field but fill out the Var Number Section with 4050.

The game doesn't freeze, I can just walk over the script tile, but the script itself won't trigger. I tried the 0300. I"m also using 1.95 and I tried what you said, but it does not do anything in the game, I can still walk over the script tile...

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
The game doesn't freeze, I can just walk over the script tile, but the script itself won't trigger. I tried the 0300. I"m also using 1.95 and I tried what you said, but it does not do anything in the game, I can still walk over the script tile...

As I said put a lock at the beginning of your script. And also, download 1.92. It's less buggy and that way you can follow the tutorial.

Years
As I said put a lock at the beginning of your script. And also, download 1.92. It's less buggy and that way you can follow the tutorial.

I downloaded 1.92 and put the lock in it, but I can still walk normally over the tile. Even when I changed unknown to 0300. Just tried to give the same script to a person and the script does run when I talk to her, but still not on the tile...

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I downloaded 1.92 and put the lock in it, but I can still walk normally over the tile. Even when I changed unknown to 0300. Just tried to give the same script to a person and the script does run when I talk to her, but still not on the tile...

I compiled your script in a fresh ROM and tested it myself. For some reason, it really doesn't work. I tested both with the variable / unknown and without, and neither works. Sorry to burst the bubble, but if it only works on a person event, that's what you should do.

Years
I compiled your script in a fresh ROM and tested it myself. For some reason, it really doesn't work. I tested both with the variable / unknown and without, and neither works. Sorry to burst the bubble, but if it only works on a person event, that's what you should do.

Okay, thanks for trying. Guess I'll put an annoying group of toddlers there, which want to see a pokedex.

Years
  • Seen Jun 5, 2013
Is it possible to overwrite old scripts? It seems that every time I make a small adjustment to a script, I have to compile it to a different offset. This is bothering me because I'm worried about eating up a ton of free space with constant editing.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Is it possible to overwrite old scripts? It seems that every time I make a small adjustment to a script, I have to compile it to a different offset. This is bothering me because I'm worried about eating up a ton of free space with constant editing.

you can manually delete them by using a hex editor. go to your script's address and rewrite 'em.

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
Great tutorial, only one small problem.
when i do the first script, with the msgbox @1 0x6
and set it on a script and talk to it ingame, the messagebox won't appear (but the lock and faceplayer do work)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Great tutorial, only one small problem.
when i do the first script, with the msgbox @1 0x6
and set it on a script and talk to it ingame, the messagebox won't appear (but the lock and faceplayer do work)

We can't really help you with that, unless you post your script here for us to see what is wrong. :3

Doesn't XSE allow this by "delete @offset" command or something?
I'm not sure as I haven't scripted for a while...

I haven't tried that code before, so I have no idea. :3

Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2013
We can't really help you with that, unless you post your script here for us to see what is wrong. :3

I haven't tried that code before, so I have no idea. :3

Doesn't matter, i used emerald, and in emerald you have to do callstd 0x2 instead of release, i fixed it myself. but thank you anyway

Back