• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bored with game?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Is anyone else finding themselves bored with this game? I beat the game and completed the Paldea Pokédex.

I've never been much of a shiny hunter. I don't have the patience to grind away for hours just to catch a different color Pokémon. I've also only dabbled with competitive Pokémon for a few months at the end of Gen 8s life. Competitive play was fun for a little while but then it got repetitive because I was facing the same 10 Pokémon over and over and everyone used legendaries.

I like participating in raids but this also gets repetitive. I often find myself wanting to play Pokémon, so I fire up the game and then just stare at the screen because I don't know what to do? Does anyone have some ideas to lock me back into the game?

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
Nuzlockes are great to get back into the game and enjoy multiple play throughs. If you don't want to mess with your main save, you can make a second profile on the Switch and use that for the nuzlockes.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Is anyone else finding themselves bored with this game? I beat the game and completed the Paldea Pokédex.

I've never been much of a shiny hunter. I don't have the patience to grind away for hours just to catch a different color Pokémon. I've also only dabbled with competitive Pokémon for a few months at the end of Gen 8s life. Competitive play was fun for a little while but then it got repetitive because I was facing the same 10 Pokémon over and over and everyone used legendaries.

I like participating in raids but this also gets repetitive. I often find myself wanting to play Pokémon, so I fire up the game and then just stare at the screen because I don't know what to do? Does anyone have some ideas to lock me back into the game?

I don't think I can ever get bored with Pokémon. I completed the game, but it's the competitive play that keeps me interested in any Pokémon game after I beat it. My primary goal is to try to reach the Master Ball tier in ranked using only my favorites and claim the good rewards when the ranked season ends. You also get a ton of League Points for winning regularly and ranking up in ranked battles, as well as random rare items. Legendaries also aren't allowed in ranked battles, at least for this season, but we can expect them to be allowed as time passes. Nevertheless, competitive Pokémon can be very fun if you want a challenge and valuable rewards every month. You can also improve your skills and challenge yourself by reaching the Master Ball tier without using the meta. I also competed in the Paldea Prologue recently. In it, players were limited to 15 battles a day, and despite the fact that I accidentally competed only on the last day, I went 11-4, which was pretty good. It was extremely fun for me. I enjoyed every bit of it. Because you mentioned legendaries, I take it you were playing Link Battles against randoms. That's a good way to play 6v6 and/or test your team, but note that the Link Battle players may or may not have the best teams or might be using a team full of legendaries. As for players using the same Pokémon repeatedly, understand that only 39% of all Pokémon are currently present in the game. This drastically shortens in competitive, in which players are more likely to use fully evolved Pokémon. That's why I always argued that we desperately needed Pokémon HOME compatibility and DLC pronto. I am personally not a fan of Tera Raids, however. I believe they are broken trash and the rewards are simply not worth the pain.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
If you can identify the reasons why you're getting bored, you might be able to do something to improve the situation...

Do you find the games too easy? Do you actually enjoy completing the Pokédex? Do you keep doing Raids or other things that you may be no longer enjoying just because you feel you have to?

I myself got so bored at Pokémon games in the past that I stopped playing entirely for over half a decade, but then I got ideas from other players and from my own to make the game experience more interesting for me, to find out what were the aspects of the experience I actually liked and focus on them.

I'm pretty sure only a minority of players actually enjoy and care about everything in a Pokémon game. People usually just focus on the stuff they care about and try to find ways to customize the experience and make it better for themselves.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I don't think I can ever get bored with Pokémon. I completed the game, but it's the competitive play that keeps me interested in any Pokémon game after I beat it. My primary goal is to try to reach the Master Ball tier in ranked using only my favorites and claim the good rewards when the ranked season ends. You also get a ton of League Points for winning regularly and ranking up in ranked battles, as well as random rare items. Legendaries also aren't allowed in ranked battles, at least for this season, but we can expect them to be allowed as time passes. Nevertheless, competitive Pokémon can be very fun if you want a challenge and valuable rewards every month. You can also improve your skills and challenge yourself by reaching the Master Ball tier without using the meta. I also competed in the Paldea Prologue recently. In it, players were limited to 15 battles a day, and despite the fact that I accidentally competed only on the last day, I went 11-4, which was pretty good. It was extremely fun for me. I enjoyed every bit of it. Because you mentioned legendaries, I take it you were playing Link Battles against randoms. That's a good way to play 6v6 and/or test your team, but note that the Link Battle players may or may not have the best teams or might be using a team full of legendaries. As for players using the same Pokémon repeatedly, understand that only 39% of all Pokémon are currently present in the game. This drastically shortens in competitive, in which players are more likely to use fully evolved Pokémon. That's why I always argued that we desperately needed Pokémon HOME compatibility and DLC pronto. I am personally not a fan of Tera Raids, however. I believe they are broken trash and the rewards are simply not worth the pain.

These are all great points! I did play competitive for a few months in Gen 8 and that's when I noticed everyone was using the same mons over and over. Got tired of facing Zacian every single match. This was during 4v4 ranked doubles. You were allowed to use two special mons at this time.

I should give competitive a chance with Scarlet and Violet. I guess the thought of breeding best IV Pokémon and then EV training gets daunting. I did breed and train a few for raid dens and they have certainly made the process much easier to do now, which is good. But I've gotta be honest, I absolutely HATE the sandwhich aspect of the game..

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
Only reason I'm playing the game currently is for shiny hunting. Personally don't care about any other aspect of the game.

Years
I tend to play most actively when the games are new, otherwise it's primarily for event raids or shiny hunting. Wish I could experience those final few story battles for the first time again. Liked SV quite a bit but I don't think I have the attention span to put 200+ hours into a game anymore and spend tens of hours just shiny hunting. 💔

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 23, 2023
These are all great points! I did play competitive for a few months in Gen 8 and that's when I noticed everyone was using the same mons over and over. Got tired of facing Zacian every single match. This was during 4v4 ranked doubles. You were allowed to use two special mons at this time.

I should give competitive a chance with Scarlet and Violet. I guess the thought of breeding best IV Pokémon and then EV training gets daunting. I did breed and train a few for raid dens and they have certainly made the process much easier to do now, which is good. But I've gotta be honest, I absolutely HATE the sandwhich aspect of the game..

IV breeding a) isn't really that bad and b) it's only a cost saving measure as you can simply bottle cap any IVs that aren't perfect.

Any 5-6 star raids will give you 4-5 IVs and you can use those to either breed high IVs or just use that mon.

The biggest PITA, I think, is getting the desired tera types for all your pokemon, because it takes around 10 5 star raids per pokemon to have enough shards to change it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
IV breeding a) isn't really that bad and b) it's only a cost saving measure as you can simply bottle cap any IVs that aren't perfect.

Any 5-6 star raids will give you 4-5 IVs and you can use those to either breed high IVs or just use that mon.

The biggest PITA, I think, is getting the desired tera types for all your pokemon, because it takes around 10 5 star raids per pokemon to have enough shards to change it.

Yeah Destiny Knot Ditto plus the raid system makes IV breeding a cakewalk. Especially with Everstone guaranteeing nature too (the only problem is when you're trying to breed something that has a regional form like a non-Paldean Tauros, because Everstone sets form too).

I grind the 7-star raids for shards. Maxxed out at 999 Water shards from the Pikachu event! Would be awful doing it solo though.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 23, 2023
Regional forms aren't an issue. You just breed the regional form with a compatible pokemon/ditto with the nature you want, and just give both of them everstones. It will always breed the regional variant but the nature has a 50% chance to be from either parent.

Years
I only play Pokemon Trading Card Game Online. I hardly play anymore with my battle deck and my mat for it. All the people at the local game shop I collect my cards from were always the same people playing and winning the same tournament every Sunday. I stopped after a month I was saying to my self I think it was rigged. I just go there now to trade only.

Back