• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Nintendo Earnings Release: Pok?mon X and Y top-selling 3DS titles at 14.46 million units

bobandbill

one more time
Years
ORAS is actually doing pretty well imo - 11+million in a bit over a year is very good, and we're talking the 3DS (smaller install base than the DS). I wonder though how much r4 piracy/etc affects sales for the DS gen games...

One thing for sure (if it was ever in doubt) - Pokemon ain't dead.

Years
I have to admit it's amazing to see Pokemon be the king of 3DS sales. I think all the innovations this generation brought has seen a lot of players getting back into the franchise, and it's definitely a positive sign we won't see the end of Pokemon for the forseeable future.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
Wait, why is this surprising for some people? Genuinely curious. Core series Pokemon games have historically done very well (or was at the top of sales) in comparison to other games on the same platform.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm surprised that none of you guys are disappointed on X/Y's sales not reaching the same number of sales as the first two gens, which is suppose to be the grand factor on whether or not the franchise is relevant to the mainstream public.

MusicClues

Mashup Maker and Sun/M/XY Champion/Master
Years
I'm surprised that none of you guys are disappointed on X/Y's sales not reaching the same number of sales as the first two gens, which is suppose to be the grand factor on whether or not the franchise is relevant to the mainstream public.

I Don't Think ANY Pokemon game Will reach THAT Many Sales. Besides, Most of us Own 3DSs and XY.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
It's highly unlikely any core series game will reach the same levels of the original generation(s) considering the initial Pokemon phenomenon was unprecedented. It's the same formula and games/consoles just get more and more expensive; the numbers aren't surprising. I don't buy into comparing a current title to its predecessor when talking about "relevancy." You'd look at its ratio of sales compared to competing titles from other franchises. If RBY sold 100 million copies for the top spot of its time and XY sold 300M copies for dead last on the sales chart today, does that make it more relevant to the public?

X/Y is currently the top-selling 3DS game overall. ORAS is quickly catching up (currently #4 and the next two spots are games from 2011). All Nintendo DS Pokemon core series games are in the Top 15 all-time DS titles sales, with D/P, B/W and HGSS all in the Top 10. ALL Gameboy Advance core series titles (RBE, FR/LG) claim the top spots on the all-time GBA sales list.

So if you want to compare trends, Gen. VI actually revitalized the franchise.

Last edited:

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I think it's fantastic that the games are selling so much and I hope Pokemon continues to be just as successful in the future!

Back