• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sneak Peek of the Sun and Moon Anime

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I agree the animation feels like a step back. Ash looks younger in this design also. I liked that the background music towards the end was reminiscent of music from season 1 though.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Said this all over the place recently, but I actually like the art style and the look of how the show will work. It seems more toned down and fun, but also has the chance to get serious wen need be. Ash is probably still the same age, and unlike some have guessed, I imagine he is also still as smart as before.

The school setting is neat, but I doubt it will stay as he'll have to go out and travel to the other islands. My guess is he is there to learn about the region's differences as there are major ones and future travels are probably going to need to be prepared. Probably why Kuiki is teaching as well it seems. I like how all the characters we've seen look so far. It works with the setting and concept.

Ash looks alright though, don't really like it. It looks like the tried to be to much like Yokai Watch. However he's getting a Z ring off the bat which is pretty major as no one else seems to have one, and this is a major game mechanic for him to have. I wonder how that will play into things.

I also like that team rocket gets mimikyu and beware. Those are solid choices. Hoping Ash gets rowlett, though it seems he may get litten. And I hope the lapras on the poster is his.

It will be really interesting to see how the anime series plays out. As long as XYs writers are still on (which they probably are), I can see it being another good season, as XY had great writing. This also would mean the arcs would be great. As I really liked the XY arcs, especially flare's which everyone seems to have liked. And if Sun and Moon's plot is as good as it looks, there's a lot of promising things we could see here.

Ultra beasts, how Aether plays out, and Skull will be pretty neat to see. And Skull is getting involved early, meaning they may be recurring antagonists. Which cold make for a good story as that's the first time they've done something like that.

So seeing all that, and with a lot to speculate on, I took forward to this new season. It seems to be very different, but that could be good and lead to another great season. I will definitely be tuning in!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'll say it again because we have a thread for this already, actually, technically anyway, but. I think the new animation is very cute, and simple looking. I like simple. Ash looked way too mature in the last season on the anime, and now he looks like he's supposed to: ten. All throughout Kalos, he looked older, which has always kinda bugged for a pretty long time.

I'm happy Ash is having fun in this trailer. The thought of him going to school and going on journies is a new concept for me. However it plays out, it plays out, we'll have to take a look in November and see.

Art style is even more fun now than before. The animation will probably improve by November, since this is merely a preliminary animation at the moment.

Excited to see how this plays out, etc.

ROBO-BOY

The Monkey Man
    Years
  • I loved the Original Series, the Advanced Series, the Diamond and Pearl Series and XYZ. I believed Black and White would be my least favourite forever, surely they would never be able to do any worse than that. Alas, I feel betrayed by the anime. The animation is horrible, Ash's new design is appalling, I'm not the greatest Amour Shipper but the lack of Serena surprised me, and not in a good way. Ash looks derpy, and I feel as though Pikachu just doesn't fit with Ash's new design either.
    XYZ saw Ash grow as a character and I was so keen to watch him continue on the journey that the new writers had set him on, gaining strength and catching Pokemon.
    By all means have a childish Pokemon anime where there are no consequences and every problem is wrapped up in twenty-two minutes, but if they knew the anime was headed in this direction, let Ash win the Kalos League and bring in some new derpy character to fill his place. Don't just ruin the character that they've built up. Ugh!

Years
  • Instead of growing-up, Ash looks like somehow younger.
    I kinda like the Pikachu z-move.
    Can't wait for the S&M Anime to start!

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I'll say it again because we have a thread for this already, actually, technically anyway, but. I think the new animation is very cute, and simple looking. I like simple. Ash looked way too mature in the last season on the anime, and now he looks like he's supposed to: ten. All throughout Kalos, he looked older, which has always kinda bugged for a pretty long time.
    With his current voice the older and more mature look made more sense. With this younger and less mature look the current voice won't fit as much. His original voice would be a better fit.

Years
  • With his current voice the older and more mature look made more sense. With this younger and less mature look the current voice won't fit as much. His original voice would be a better fit.

I know the Japanese VAs are usually never replaced unless it's a forced situation (like how Giovanni got a new Japanese VA after his original VA died in 2006) but I do feel Ash should have a younger-sounding voice if his new design makes him look younger, because the softer edges do scream him now looking much younger (and likely less mature) than he was in XY.

For the dub I hope Sarah Natochenny tries to make her Ash voice sound much younger, but one can dream.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I've already made clear my gripes on Sun and Moon as it is, and a lot of people would probably agree regarding the gripes anyways (they amount to Ash's design and overall the stupidity of how they handled him), so I won't be redundant.

I will make this much clear though: In School of Hard Knocks way back in Kanto, Ash essentially proved he didn't even need school when he beat the top student, Giselle, and her Cubone with Pikachu despite being at a type disadvantage, so why would Ash even need school NOW? I don't CARE if Alola doesn't have a Pokémon League, there were plenty of ways to have Ash go to Alola that DIDN'T involve going back to school, like I don't know, having been nominated to go to the region to help form a Pokémon League due to both his being runner up (and likely default winner) of the Kalos League as well as his role in saving Kalos. Honestly, they screwed over a league victory in Kalos for THIS?!

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • New info from Pokefan scans

Spoiler:

I like this Ash a lot more. It gives the impression he's knowledgeable but still looks like he can have fun. More Delia is also good, she's pushed to the side too often. Ash is terrible at making sure his mother is OK.

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • New info from Pokefan scans

Spoiler:

I like this Ash a lot more. It gives the impression he's knowledgeable but still looks like he can have fun. More Delia is also good, she's pushed to the side too often. Ash is terrible at making sure his mother is OK.

Why the scans from here, Ash's design the edges are back, where are the curves? XD It's more like XY saga design than SM saga. Looks like we can confirm Ash's companions are the trial captains and Lillie? Oh dear Sophocles are so short I feel bad for him (why is he SOOOOO short!?)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    New info from Pokefan scans

Spoiler:

We'll see. I'm still not convinced (why does he even need to go to school, anyways? School of Hard Knocks proved he doesn't even need school to be a particularly skilled trainer anyhow).

BTW, you said you got Pokefan scans? Care to post a scan showcasing the recently announced episode titles for XY (namely, Serena's choice episode and the Xerosic episode)? I may need that for Bulbapedia, since apparently they can't count on Serebii as a source even when he explicitly names the source he got it from.

Back