• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokémon Opinions.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
The Eeveelutions bore me to death. I just don't understand how everyone seems to have such a fascination with them when their designs are often uninteresting and their combat potential is even less so. The only two I can really get on board with are Leafeon and Vaporeon, the two which do have usable movepools and are more appealing to the eyes.

At the same time though I'd be disappointed if they didn't make one Eeveelution for every type. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Years
- Fans fawn over Red like he's a god. Besides stopping Team Rocket and becoming Champion I don't see the big deal. Gold did the same thing in the game as well (not to mention he even defeats Red) and Red is still praised more than him. Manga Red, on the other hand, is more tolerable for me. I like him and Ash more than game Red.

-Retcon. I mean, Gardevoir is now suddenly immune to Dragon-types thanks to its new Fairy typing. I know it's just gameplay purposes, but how do you explain that? I can count on my hand the number of times my own Gardevoir has been felled by Outrage in the PWT in Gen V. And in this Gen she'll be immune to it. How did we get to that?

- Gen 1 isn't the best Gen. My opinion, anyway.

- I don't always EV train Pokemon with the recommended Nature and IV and honestly I don't care.

- Since most people prefer Kyogre in the Uber tier, I honestly think Groudon is better when given the proper support.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I think Haxorus shouldn't be a dragon type, it doesn't look like one and its typing should had followed its pre-evolutions.

All of the 'Ax' family were Dragon type. Maybe you were thinking of Tyranitar, koff~

Anyways, I really love Koffing, and I think that the third generation games (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald) were the worst additions to the series overall. Pokemon Versions added 5 (plus one) legendary Pokemon, where as the third generation decided to add 8 (plus two)! That's a straight up double. Not to mention the different 'forms' we're being cursed with because of Deoxys moon-rock habit, koffi~

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
A ton of people may disagree with me here, but… in my opinion, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 are one of the worst games that GameFreak has ever created. :( When I was playing, they felt quite the same as their predecessors. Most locations remained the same, many of the gym leaders remained pretty much the same, and the antagonists remained the same as well. Sure, there may have been a few changes here and there (mainly in the storyline), but is there anything else other than that? One thing that they could have done is introduce a few evolutions to some of the older Pokémon, or maybe at least give us a different selection of starters. But they haven't done any of that. D: To be honest, I would've accepted it more if they, instead of sequels, went ahead with the "Pokémon Gray" idea and made a third installation to the series.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
All of the 'Ax' family were Dragon type. Maybe you were thinking of Tyranitar, koff~
None of the Tyranitar family were Dragon-type. They were rock/ground -> rock/ground -> rock/dark.

I forgot to add a few more points of view on the series that I have:
  • For me, battles that don't allow to gain experience are a complete waste of time. That's why I don't understand the appeal of Battle Frontiers in the slightest.
  • I hate that in Generation 5, HMs no longer require badges. I get that it's a good idea in theory, but now the problem is finding the HMs. In previous games, when you got a badge that allowed the use of a certain HM, you knew that the HM itself wasn't very far away. Now, good luck finding them all without a guide or wasting a lot of time.
  • The only DS games where the touchscreen was used well were Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Why? Because you could choose what to display, like your team's status or the map (very convenient when you're hunting for roamers) , or a lot of other things. I thought displaying the menu at all times like in HG/SS was unnecessary, and since most of the time I play alone, the C-Gear in Generation 5 felt like a complete waste of a screen.

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2013
Idk if this is true or not but many people dont like gen 4 for many reasons but actually from what I've seen more people like it than dislike on sites like serebii forums but here's a list of reason why I think Gen 4 was revolutionary:

Remake of HG and SS: These games are so popular and what's not to like? They have content to keep you busy for a long time.
Introducing the Battle Frontier: Wait. That was introduced in Gen III. Yes I know that but the Gen IV Battle Frontier was completely different (One can argue that either is better than the other) but basically it added to the content already in the game and provided the player with a more strategy based in-game activity.
New Pokemon: One of the biggest arguments is that a lot of pokemon received much needed evolutions like Electivire/Magmortar/Mamoswine/Tangrowth etc., as well as pre-evos like Mime Jr. It also introduced some new and cool Legendaries and my favorite include the ba Darkrai, Manaphy, Giratina and of course, the omnipotent Arceus.
More Ways to Play!: Aside from the Battle Frontier, there's the Elite Four, rematching them and the Gym Leaders, Bug-Catching Contest, hanging out in the Underground Region collecting and burying stuff, Safari Zones and so much more!
Storyline: Maybe it's just me that appreciates this but the storylines in all Gen 4 games have a fantastic plot that extends past the completion of the Elite Four while in Emerald all you really have after is obtaining the Weather Trio, Regis and Eon Pokemon. In HG and SS you have 2 regions to explore and in Platinum and the island featuring the Survival, Fight and Resort Areas.
Phew my shpiel is done. Hopefully this opens the eyes of someone who dislikes gen 4 and becomes appreciative of its magnificence :/. P/HG/SS are still my top pokemon games and I still prefer them over Gens 3 and 5.

Last edited:

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
None of the Tyranitar family were Dragon-type. They were rock/ground -> rock/ground -> rock/dark.

I know this, koff~

He said that Haxorus shouldn't be a dragon, and should be typed like it's predecessors (all three are dragons). Tyranitar was the quickest Pokemon I could think of that changed it's type at the end of three evolutions, so I assumed he was mixing up his Pokemon, koffi~

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Oh, I'm going to have fun with this.

• Lucario, Arcanine, and Charizard are overrated and quite unattractive to boot.
  • I despise Red and think he's the most overrated character in the franchise. Tell me, why would someone who has an unevolved Pokemon on his team be treated almost as a god?
  • I plan to use a team of entirely old Pokemon in X/Y.
  • Hoenn is my least favorite region.
  • I didn't like HG/SS nearly as much as G/S/C. They lacked a certain charm that the old games had.
  • I do not like that Pokemon massaging feature in X/Y.
  • I didn't like the Pokemon following you in HG/SS either.
  • The anime is an embarrassment to the franchise.
  • Pokemon Centers are blatant ripoffs of Red Roof Inns. Look at the color of the roof for proof.
  • The franchise needs more cars.
  • I don't plan on using Mega Evos except where the game requires it.
  • Pikachu scares me in the same way that the creepy old guy down the street does.
  • I want the evil team storline to revolve around some financial fraud scheme rather than this grandiose "take over the world/change the world" stuff.

And there's probably more but I'm tired right now lol
l

Last edited:
Years
The fact that I'm not as big of a fan of the 1st Gen Pokemon compared to most other generations. Maybe I just didn't see Kanto's designs as not colorful enough or cute or something back then, and it was also due to me not playing a Pokemon game until 3rd Gen so I ended up warming up to later generations' Pokemon faster than earlier generations.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
Years
I much prefer the Japanese names of almost all Pokémon. With a couple of exceptions from the first generation (Vaporeon is Showers, Sandshrew is Sand), I think the Japanese names are a million times cooler.

Some examples: Kamex instead of Blastoise. Nyorozo instead of Poliwhirl. Windie instead of Arcanine. Kabigon instead of Snorlax. Yamirami instead of Sableye. Kodora instead of Lairon. Biriridama instead of Voltorb. Etc.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 26, 2013
Mega Evolutions are pointless and seem to be a gimmick. Digimon did it first.

Yeah I'm still annoyed with Mega Evolutions. I just think that they weren't needed. Maybe if the designs were cool I would like them more.
Thank GOD someone else thinks this. Also it's kind of insulting to the pokemon who needed ACTUAL evolutions.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
-I think Generation 6 is the best generation since Generation 3.

-I hate N.

-The show sucks.

-The metagame is boring, dull, and arduous, and it isn't fun.

-Generation 4 was a disgrace, and the worst generation by far.

-Pikachu sucks.

-Venusaur is the coolest of the original 3 starters.

-Umbreon is hugely overrated and one of my least favorite Dark types.

-People who use version legendaries/Mewtwo/Zygarde/Speed Boost Blaziken/Aegislash online are talentless hacks.

-Charizard X is ugly.

-IVs ruin battling.

-EV training and Super Training are both tedious.

Last edited:

CrowSvenson

DarkTrainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 24, 2016
  • I don't like the First Generation
  • Dragon sucks
  • I dislike the Anime
  • Psychic can go screw itself (Thus why I'm a Darktrainer)
  • Blue/Green/Gary is, in my eyes, annoying and obnoxious. Worst rival in the series
  • I LIKE Gen V

*Icecold*

Bow down to Queen Meowstic
Years
*clears throat*

• Mega evolutions are unnecessary little gimmicky Pokemon with terrible designs and are almost exactly like their normal forms. They also ruined the possibility that Pokemon like Banette and Mawile that actually needed evolutions would not get one.
  • Fairy types are just as overpowered as Dragon types. They don't balance anything, they just make a Trainer's life harder.
  • Gen. 5's storyline is utter bull and definitely overrated. Gen. 6's blows it out of water and Gen. 4 annihilates it.
  • Gen. 3 is the second worse generation (worse being Gen. 1) because of its bad mechanics, boring graphics, lazy story and not introducing anything too interesting that I can recall at the time. The biggest reason however is because every other generation minus the first is a lot better than it.
  • I think N only get credit because a large majority of the franchise thinks he's hot. He's not even that cute.
  • Iris's theme is the best champion theme. Yeah, that's right, it's even better than Lance's.
  • Red is more overrated than N is, and that's saying something.
  • Ghetsis gets too much credit and has no personality.
  • The jerky rivals are as bad as the friendly ones.
  • Bibaral is a good Pokemon.
  • Eevee and the majority of its evolutions are definitely overrated and their designs are bland and boring.
  • Gen. 4 is the best generation.
  • Normal is one of the best types ever.
  • Almost every single Pokemon theory is incredibly stupid. For example: Cubone and Kangaskhan are related, Gold and Norman are the same person, Gengar is Clefairy's shadow, N is a Zoroark, etc.
  • A lot of Nuzlocke comics are really generic, terribly written, overrated and trying to hard to be funny.
  • The majority of this fanbase needs to step out of their comfort zone and stop acting so defensive over their opinions.
...and I'm done.

Years
[I think] Nintendo could have done a much more better generation with the inclusion of more new Pokemon and removal of existing Pokemon and Mega-Evolutions to have a much diverse and separate region. This way people would completely enjoy a new environment with new controls, features and gameplay. Generation 5 was like this on how they had new Pokemon, but I think if you are planning to go all out on 3D for a new generation and game then make it like a fresh start. Granted that X & Y are not as user friendly considering it is not like its preceding game series.

10% of this is thoughtless rambling.

Back