• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Get-Together Feedback

Years

• After a really fun two weeks, 2020's Get-Together has come to a close. At the end of each year's GT, we ask those who ran and participated in the various events to provide feedback on how the GT was run so we can apply that feedback to future Get-Togethers and make each one better than the last.

We would appreciate it if you could provide feedback on any elements of this year's GT that you particularly liked or disliked here for us to reference when we plan the next. We'll try to respond to your posts here as best we can as well, although we do ask that feedback be constructive and related to the GT as a whole more than on individual events.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
    Years
    • Seen today
    The last Get-Together I participated in was the one from 2018, so I can't really make any direct comparisons to anything I can remember.

Anyway, I think the event was pretty well organized. I think some very unfortunate things happened and affected how the event was to be hosted. Obviously this stuff is out of control and I can understand how certain events or morale may be affected.

I ended up writing too much so I will put these in spoilers. Sorry. I don't know why I wrote so much, probably cuz no one else wrote anything.

Jackbox:
    Spoiler:

Other events:
    Spoiler:

I think GT was pretty well hosted and organized. Again, unfortunate that IRL stuff happened. I don't know how realistic a contingency plan is since one of the main hosts was affected and it obviously impacted a lot of events. I think the Island Challenge event was going great and was extremely fun and was a great topic of conversation as well, and it sucks that things happened the way they did.

I don't know how much the IRL stuff affected this, but I do kind of wish the theme was more prevalent during the event. It kind of felt like there was no identity to most of the events other than the Island Challenge. Was not really certain what the buildings were used for. I do remember there being an Ultra Beast contest in 2017 and I think that those kind of events are really fun since they're "on-topic" and also allow users to bring out something creative. Make-a-Mega in 2018 was also good as an event since people from different teams got to all come together to work on something that was more creative. I think something like that was missing this year.

Anyways, great event. I had a lot of fun. Thanks for reading.

Years

• The maps were essentially just a visual representation of the point scores and a fun little mini-game of sorts as people got to come together and build their village. The trouble was, outside of just unavoidable bad luck with some stuff, that I/we made an error in our estimations of how points would accrue - like you identified. I didn't realise how many games each Jackbox session would get through, for example, which resulted in points wracking up much faster than we anticipated to the point that we just couldn't keep up with the maps - which were filling up way too quickly for their size.

I think going forward, we should be more thorough in estimating how quickly points will accrue for GT themes where we have a threshold system of points like this year. For more standard point systems where the points don't unlock anything and just count for themselves, I don't think this would be quite as big of an issue. Although, you're not the only one who has voiced that it seemed a little odd that small daily events technically earned far more points than long-standing events.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Though I will say that if you don't plan on counting yourself for placing high in the games, then put a disclaimer next to your name. If you do plan on counting yourself...well personally I don't think it's best practice since you get to choose the games.
    I understand your point, it's why I asked GT management about my eligiblity but didn't got any answers so I decided to do like previous hosts had done.

Years
  • This GT was cursed. At least for me. From the moment we first started planning it all the way to its ending, there were problems following me in real life. And I'm sad it affected my events. And I'm sorry for everyone who participated in them for my sudden disappearance. I hope next year I'll have better luck.

But overall, I think the GT went well. There was really nice selection of events and a lot of active users. I think this was one of the most active GT in last few years. We (as GT hosts) underestimated how many points will each team earn and how fast they will earn it, which is something we'll probably should take in account next time.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • General feelz
    Compared to last year I felt the event was more responsive and lean in terms of what stuff was going on, communication with the event hosters, and that kind of stuff. This as particularly notable with the corrections to a few borks in VG Trivia, for example.

It was still not as responsive as some of the earlier events (I fondly remember GT 2017, it felt more a "community" thing despite I would not be able to properly place the why into words at this point), but it was still very well organized in my participant opinion.

"cursed" status
    As it befits a yearly event with a very specific timetable for abstract working (eg.: you can't really go past day 2 in choosing what to write for SWC, not with my writing style), GT was somewhat "cursed" for me as well, but I managed to somehow make it through. Under normal circumstances I would care more, but 2020 has been enough of a year that I was willing to take the ready chance to try and focus myself on the event and ignore Outside™ at least for a little while.

SWC earning only 200 points
    I could make a joke about "I ran my characters through hell and all I got was X points" but then again some of the other writers in the writers-desk would agree with me that we make our characters suffer for free (or for sweet drama points) anyway, heh.

I would certainly suggest that the event is better graded in future instances, in particular considering that a) participating in it consumes an important amount of focus and creative effort that then can not be well used in shorter / daily events and b) it *is* one of the events where literally you won't know any of your scoring or progress until the very end, unlike eg.: VGM Quiz where besides it being a semi-daily, you get some minor amount of feedback about how your team is doing, and thus is more "community-engaging".

Music in VGM Quiz
    One thing that I'm not sure if it's an issue with the site, with the theme, with the browsers or with the music itself, was that during VGM Quiz I could not make the music samples work unless I logged off of the site, or say in a private window / private tab. Not a dealbreaker (everything else worked, including Save As), and definitively not something I'd archive as a bug considering I had no reliable means to test what was going on (nor the time or focus to delve into Programmer Mode) anyway, but a weird behaviour that I hope does not repeat itself in future instances but that I leave note of in here juuuuust in case.

Admittedly between SWC, 2020 and work in general I could not really participate in more events that were not SWC itself and the VG and VGM trivias, which has also been the case in previous years. But I'm glad that I got still enough juice to contribute to all three.

Back