• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The 4th gen class split in 3rd gen

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020
Hey, would anyone be interested in a tutorial using Darthatron and Jambo51's routines to insert the physical/special split that dumbs it down so you only have to use a hex editor? I think I've executed everything needed properly, but before I post the tut, I'd like to know that it would be useful. I know there are patches and whatnot that exist.

Would this cover adding in the attack category icons, or just the class split? Actually, either way I think I'd like to see this tut. It would help me when I take long breaks from messing with this stuff.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Would this cover adding in the attack category icons, or just the class split? Actually, either way I think I'd like to see this tut. It would help me when I take long breaks from messing with this stuff.

It would include adding the icons all done in a hex editor.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
I know everything here is in English but I am a german hacker trying to port the patch for the split for Firered (D).
I edited the patch so that the offsets are correct for the german rom. Im still missing the pointers and I dont know
which pointers have to be edited (I changed the pointer to the attacks data at 250C04 though). Currently the game is freezing in a battle when using an attack.

So is there anybody who can give me suggestions which pointers might be wrong and what else could be wrong ?

EDIT: Nevermind I figured it out myself by using a disassembler. Hopefully the german hacker community has this feature now too.

Last edited:
Years
After doing this, and spliting physical attacks from special attacks, can I make physical attacks be ineffective against Ghost Pokémon? Or only special Electric attacks be ineffective against Ground Pokémon?

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
After doing this, and spliting physical attacks from special attacks, can I make physical attacks be ineffective against Ghost Pokémon? Or only special Electric attacks be ineffective against Ground Pokémon?

To doing this you will have to make a routine in ASM, there is no "simple way" to make it with just this patch

Years
To doing this you will have to make a routine in ASM, there is no "simple way" to make it with just this patch

Ok, no problem.
Also, when I change a ROM using a program (Advance Map, for example) or ASM, wouldn't the changes be, like, more permanent than in a patch?
'Cause when I see a patch, I think that missing it or deleting it by accident is way easier and simpler than doing the same to a ROM.
What's the real difference between them?
Ain't messing with a ROM directly safer and more permanent than just a patch?

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2020
I know this topic is old now, but...

Here's an IPS patch that applies version 1.4 of the Emerald patch, has all of the moves set to the correct Physical/Special/Status byte, and has the icons installed and working. Warning: I didn't take note of where I inserted the image or the ASM, so back up your game first.

UPDATE 6: Images weren't indexed and had transparency. This is still salvageable. It will just take awhile since I am going to have to do all of this manually. Aaand back to being walled. No matter what program I try to use to change the animations of the Pokémon, when I edit frame 1, frame 0 messes up, and vice versa. Or, in the case of G3HS, it gives me the attached error (G3HS error.png). Perhaps I'm not using the right format of image? They are all .png files, unindexed. They were exported directly from Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor.

UPDATE 5: Oh yeah, is there an easy way to edit animation frames that is not G3HS? I don't want to risk screwing something up just because I refused to use anything else.

UPDATE 4: That didn't take long. It works, at least on VBA rerecording on Windows. I will make a(n) .ips file and attach it. One for the normal version, and one for the Moémon version, in case anyone wants to test it (or just play it. That is why I wanted this completed, after all. The definitive Pokémon Emerald experience) and see if it really works. I don't really know why it didn't work the first time, and I honestly don't care, since it seems to work now. Any testers are appreciated greatly, as I don't know how to change the power of attacks to test stuff like this, though, thinking on it, it's probably as simple as opening PGE and fiddling for a few minutes. I might do that before making a(n) .ips file, actually, so I'm not giving you guys something that doesn't work.

UPDATE 3: I think I am slowing down. The coffee is probably wearing off. I ran the ROM, which had now had Shufflejoy's PhysSpec Split+Icons patch applied to it, as well as practically every single battle sprite edited, and had been run through Dabomstew's UPGR to add camel case 'mon names and "impossible" evolutions removed. To my surprise, the game actually made it to the moving truck, and beyond that, as well. I got to the first battle, but did not bother attempting to complete it. Assumptions. The class icons also worked. Perhaps I simply did something wrong with my first attempt? I certainly hope so. Next it is time for the last part. Editing the 11A1E8 offset from 08 to 00 to allow running indoors.

UPDATE 2: I applied graphical changes to the ROM, changing the Pokémon's sprites, and the game still booted fine. This means that either A) enabling running shoes everywhere is somehow causing fatal problems, or, more likely, B) running the ROM through Dabomstew's Universal Pokémon Game Randomizer after everything but enabling running everywhere is messing with certain (unknown to me) code that causes everything to crash during the part where your character shrinks down to overworld size/the moving truck is loading. Perhaps running the ROM through the randomizer first can solve this issue. I will test this soon.

UPDATE: I've now tried running a ROM with just the initial patch provided by Shufflejoy, and I was able to make it past the character shrinking part of the intro (at least on the VBA GX emulator on Wii). This is a little disheartening for me, as it means I've done something else wrong along the way. I will continue to test various stages of the project and update along the way.

EDIT: I've also attached a .ips file (PSSRANTECICC, yes, I know I forgot to add the frames for the animations) of the ROM I'm working with, in case that can shed some light on the subject. In case it can't have a look at just the one .ips patch containing the modifications that seem to be causing the trouble (EM PhysSpec Split+Class Icons).

So, I finally got around to messing with this. Problem is, the game freezes after you set your character name when your sprite begins to shrink. I decided to take it from the top, since I had done several other things to the ROM. First thing I did was apply your patch. Then I decided to take a look at it in the Gen III Hacking Suite, and got the attached message. Any ideas? Loading up a clean ROM in the G3HS does not produce the error, so I am forced to assume the problem lies in the patch, especially since you said that "I didn't take note of where I inserted the image or the ASM", so perhaps you put something where it doesn't belong? Or several things?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Guys, I really hate to ask this, but does somebody have a copy of the IPS patch for Emerald + icons? I think the hack/server crash/whatever wiped out the files has affected about everything in this thread and I'm basically lost when it comes to ASM. :/

I've got the original patch working for Emerald though as well as a patch with icons for FireRed, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate the work that was done on it.

EDIT: Scratch that, I found somebody's version of it, based on progress as of November 2014. I can't link the source because <5 posts and also because it may or may not have been the actual ROM. It was linked in a YouTube video's description. Credits go to:

This is Pokemon Emerald with Physical Special Split. This game isn't suppose to have Physical Special Split, but some people such as: RaileysXerilyasRX, Shufflejoy, DoesntKnowHowToPlay, Darthatron, and Tlachtli made it happen. I followed the steps, and patched it up for you guys. The reason the download says Pokemon Emerald DPP, is because DPP (Diamond, Pearl, & Platinum) brought the Physical Special Split.

P.S.
It would be cool if you use this for a rom hack, if so give a shout out to those in the description, or even me. That would make my day. ;)

I haven't tested the patch, but it should work.

Attachments

• Pokemon Emerald DPP.ips
    4.8 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

Pheonix x

Hello!!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 1, 2017
Is there a completed patch for fire red which is working like all moves are edited and image of split icons

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 14, 2020
hello,

I just patched my fire red version with this patch and now it will not load anymore.
every time I open VBA with the patched ROM I get a white screen. It does not load or anything else.
But I can still use my save slots I have made before.
Also I have modified some pokemon stats, evolutions levels, and spawn locations.
Is there a way for me to fix this? It would be great if there were a way!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 14, 2023
Spoiler:

I've gone through this entire thread and I'm still a little confused. All I need to do is these steps, alter each and every move, and then it will work? Or is there something I need to do before or after to get it to work? I will try after typing this, I just wanted to know for sure if this was all I needed to do.

[EDIT] The only thing that worked was the physical image showed up next to power. It didn't do the split, nor did it change image for a special move. I'll wait for a response before continuing.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Spoiler:

I've gone through this entire thread and I'm still a little confused. All I need to do is these steps, alter each and every move, and then it will work? Or is there something I need to do before or after to get it to work? I will try after typing this, I just wanted to know for sure if this was all I needed to do.

[EDIT] The only thing that worked was the physical image showed up next to power. It didn't do the split, nor did it change image for a special move. I'll wait for a response before continuing.

That tutorial only shows you how to implement the icons. You need to download Doesn't split patch separately, and then change all the moves. You should check Doesn't signature for the link to the latest patch.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 14, 2023
That tutorial only shows you how to implement the icons. You need to download Doesn't split patch separately, and then change all the moves. You should check Doesn't signature for the link to the latest patch.

Ok thank you. I'll try it again and see if it works.

[EDIT] It works.... But the image doesn't change. It still stays on Physical.
[EDIT] Actually Idk if it works. I didn't test it right so I'm trying it again.
[EDIT] Ok now everything works. But I had to use a clean ROM so I'm not sure if it will work with my hack already in progress.

Last edited:

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
It's the same as the most recent version from there, so if you have that one you won't need to. It should be safe though.

I meant that the patch may introduce new pointers to the old move table that you'll want to hunt down after applying it, but it looks like it uses the exiting pointers so that shouldn't actually be a problem.

sorry I am not a profession hacker but what I thought was there is a change to be made in the asm code if the moves table has been repointed.

.align 2
.MoveBase: .word 0x08250C04
.CurMoveIndex: .word 0x0203B16D
.Move_List: .word 0x02003268

The bolded section above loads the moves data so in my opinion it needs to be changed while working with the asm, but also can be changed in hex editor isnt it???

Years
How do I insert the Physical/Special/Status icons into my Fire Red Rom? I've already done the split but there's no icons. Note that the rom is not a clean rom.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
How do I insert the Physical/Special/Status icons into my Fire Red Rom? I've already done the split but there's no icons. Note that the rom is not a clean rom.

This thread (i.e. patch) only applies the Physical/Special/Status split mechanics into the rom,
but for the icons you will have to do a small work further....
and also initially all the moves are set to physical so you will have to change them manually by hex editing or by using PGE.. :)

Well visit this link below and I think you will get your task done :)

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=352721

Years
I managed to change all the moves to physical, special, status on my own, surprisingly.

But how do I use that source code? Does it involve ASM or whatever it's called?
And how and where do I import in TileMolester, is the lime green area free space in the rom?

I apologize if i'm a bit annoying and asking so meny questions but i'm new to this and would be really happy if i managed to pull this off.

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
I managed to change all the moves to physical, special, status on my own, surprisingly.

But how do I use that source code? Does it involve ASM or whatever it's called?
And how and where do I import in TileMolester, is the lime green area free space in the rom?

I apologize if i'm a bit annoying and asking so meny questions but i'm new to this and would be really happy if i managed to pull this off.

It semms as if you dont know much about asm codes... just visit some thread in the forum... I remember if there is a thread teaching you to insert the asm codes into the rom, but its hard for me to explain.. because I cant explain well... but search for some threads in the rom hacking forum and you can do it :)

and for inserting the image...
I would suggest NSE

first open your rom in NSE
then click on "Open sprite"
and open the image provided in that thread I linked earlier.. the split images...
then click on "Insert" -----> "Image data"
NSE gives you an offset there... remember it(Note somewhere)
click on "save"

In the source code you will see..
[S-HIGHLIGHT].SplitImages: .word 0x08YYYYYY[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

in place of "YYYYYY" you will write the offset you noted earlier :)

Try it once if it still wont help you then contact me... I will do it for you :)

Years
I tried it out, although I have no idea of what i'm doing.
I copied the the source code into a txt.file and saved it as a asm file. ''split.asm''

I laso inserted the image and copied the offset it gave me and inserted it into .SplitImages: .word 0x08YYYYYY in the source (replacing the Y's).

I went into cmd and got into the folder where split.asm was located and typed ''thumb split.asm split.bin'' and a split.bin was created. I open the split.bin in HxD and copied the values and insert them into some free space in my fire red rom.

Change these bytes:
Code:
@0813A130: 0x2F
@0813A17B: 0x47
@0813A1A0: [Pointer to Routine, plus 1 (one).]

What does the 0x mean? and [Pointer to Routine, plus 1 (one).]?
If i figure this out it should work right?

Here's the ASM tutorial by HackMew I followed. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917#ASM1
Here's another ASM tutorial by FBI I looked at: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8526603&postcount=199

Sorry for all the edits :/

Last edited:
Back