• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you describe your writing style?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • How would you describe your writing style? Do you lean towards a specific way of writing?

I personally picked up acrostic recently. But, I for the most part, love trying to write things as uniquely as possible. I also try to, as much as possible, indicate who is speaking because I hate

"This!"
    "This! I'm talking! Yeah!"

so when I write I put in long paragraphs of hesitation so I can force in dialogue queues. I find it hard to follow dialogue without that, so I make sure to always indicate who's speaking unless I feel it's unnecessary to do so. I try to be varietal with the words I use rather than putting "he said" she said etcetera when doing this, though.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I mostly write short stories because I'm too lazy to write a full story
    I think I use too much dialogue though. I want to break this habit because it gets exhausting trying to find synonyms of "said" or "asked". I also think it leaves less opportunities to describe a scene in detail, which is something I hope to improve on. Gonna use my newest short story Demise as an example. (It's posted on the Writing section on PC) I only had 1 or 2 descriptive sections, whereas there was lots of dialogue (more than I was hoping for).

Bay

Years
  • I feel my writing style is also more on the dialogue and action side. I get into the action and movement of things I skipped around scenery and emotions at times. I try to add a bit more scenery/senses and emotions into my writing though.

Years
  • I want to break this habit because it gets exhausting trying to find synonyms of "said" or "asked".

It's fine to use "said" and "asked" much more repetitively than a lot of other words. In fact, it's usually more jarring when a writer is clearly going out of their way to avoid them.

For me, I tend write very descriptively. I spend a lot of time describing what people and places look like. I think you can communicate a lot about a character and a setting that way and it comes more naturally to me than dialogue does. I also tend to focus more on character drama than action, even in action-based stories.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I mostly write short stories because I'm too lazy to write a full story
    I think I use too much dialogue though. I want to break this habit because it gets exhausting trying to find synonyms of "said" or "asked". I also think it leaves less opportunities to describe a scene in detail, which is something I hope to improve on. Gonna use my newest short story Demise as an example. (It's posted on the Writing section on PC) I only had 1 or 2 descriptive sections, whereas there was lots of dialogue (more than I was hoping for).

Nah, I read it and I didn't think it was too much dialogue, actually. With that story in particular, anyway. As you write more, you'll probably improve with describing things. I honestly used to be like that were 99% of my stories were just... dialogue. Definitely been in that situation in the past. Try to think of how you want to describe the actions or atmosphere, and it might slowly come to you.

Since both people who answered this thread said something about Dialogue, I'm going to explain my writing style, and dialogue...

When it comes to dialogue, I honestly go entire sections without any, and focus on action speaking louder than words. Recently, I wrote an entire sequence of a character having a...well, their imagination ran wild and they were daydreaming (maybe I'll paste a picture in here of that because I worked really hard on this particular imagination sequence), so I went into full detail about the daydream without the character uttering a word.

I guess I'm a person who prefers to describe a lot of things while trying to use dialogue when I feel it's fruitful or necessary. I don't like my writing devolving to only being two people or more talking about in forth, is that just a me thing?

Recently, back in May, I wrote an entire short story without a single line of dialogue except for the very end of it. It was written as a prose acrostic, though, so there wasn't much room for dialogue, I suppose.

Years
  • I focus a lot on dialogue and action, but also slip in educational things where they fit. My main series involves the characters going to many different places, so I like to have the brainy one mention a historical or otherwise unique fact about the area that I learned from visiting. Same for local legends, etc.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I focus a lot on trying to paint a picture for the reader. Because I have no artistic ability, I tend to want to put the image in my mind onto the page in as many words as I can so that they can see as I see. Sometimes that makes things terribly long, but from that point of 'perfect picture' it can always be reduced down to something more manageable... if I feel like it. I don't like writing dialogue. I would rather show you how this character acts than what they say or what they think - which also ends up adding a lot of 'unnecessary' words because i want to show the little eccentricies present in how they perform these mundane actions so you can relate to them more than just 'they flip their hair x way. They chew the nail of their finger anxiously.' I want to see and write stuff like 'their hand shakily rose to their bangs before slowly gliding along their hairline until they were buried within their slicked back locks. They eyed the person across from the nervously as they pulled their hand free from their hair and nonchalantly covered their mouth with their hand before slipping the tip of their thumb in just enough so that they could not truly bite their nail, but instead scraped it along their front tooth in an attempt to even the curve they'd previously ruined in an anxious whatever.'

Emotion, feelings, and actions are what I tend to be all about.

Back