• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

List of phobias/philias

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
  • I hope this is the right section... It's usually used by doctors and such, so it it part of science? No clue. *sweat*

Me and my buddy are so much into character development that we wanted to add phobias and philias to them, so we researched for several days what all there is. Apparently all it is are Latin or Greek words put in front of the words phobia (an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something) and philia (denoting fondness, especially an abnormal love for a specified thing).

For example: pedophilia is an abnormal love for children, while pedophobia is an irrational fear towards children.

Here's a list of phobias/philias we complied from several websites put into one alphabetically sorted list, hope you enjoy. ^^
    Spoiler:

Here is a list of mostly Greek and Latin prefixes that can technically (or are already) used for phobias and philias.
    With it I was able to create some, like anautopedophobia, which would be the fear of not being a child yourself.
    Spoiler:

Hope someone likes these lists we've complied using several websites' content (been months ago, so we can't remember which medical and other sites we've all been to) and I used BB Codes on to highlight the stuff better. ^^

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Arachnophobia 0_0

^ This.

I also have a fear of thunder. Yes, I know it can't hurt me. It's not that, but it's very loud and unpredictable. Another thing I hate is hospitals as well. They terrify me to no end because I never know what they will do. Then, I also have a fear of needles/IVs too.

I don't know about phillas tbh.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    i suppose claustrophobia, but i dont know, i dont go in tight places often

if someone makes a sex joke youre banned btw

Years
  • i suppose claustrophobia, but i dont know, i dont go in tight places often

if someone makes a sex joke youre banned btw

*stifles laughter*

Anyway, as Overlord I have no weakness!

*sigh* if only that were so. I think fear of failure or fear of being forgotten are the main two for me.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I have arachnophobia, trypophobia (or more like intense disgust I feel when looking at circle patterns and clusters), and... Autonecrophobia? I fear dying and the concept of not being alive because it's scary to think about. It's most likely not the correct word for that.

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
    Years
  • I used to have arachnophobia thanks to my darn mom allowing spiders to crawl into my bed the size of your palm >~< She was such a weirdo, unwilling to remove the hornet nest outside her house, because she's so nature-loving. oO She didn't even cut her grass and got so many complaints by neighbors. =P

I suppose I have Cherophobia, the fear of uh... gaiety? (sounds strange) But Google says it's more of a fear of happiness. I'm quite afraid to feel happy, because it so commonly gets turned into negative emotions... I'm basically afraid of feeling heartbroken due to being disappointed or hurt after feeling so attached and happy about something or someone. ._.

I also have Eurotophobia, the fear of well... the feminine part males don't have. >_< Yet I find women attractive... oh dear... Well, it probably is due to our science teacher showing a video of a camera being shoved up a women's... you know what, and I blacked out from the shock and was delivered to the freaking hospital. *what an embarrassing day to find blood on my face from the broken glass because I fell off my chair and smashed my head onto the floor for getting unconscious. >~< So yeah, that body part really makes me fear of that happening again. *sweat*
    I suppose that means I'd have to date transvestites or ask a girl to put duct-tape over it? XD *tries to make a joke of my phobia*

Also... thank you so much for moving it to the right section and actually using this topic. ;_; *wants to cry*

virtualboy2558

Versatile Virty ^u^
    Years
  • Golly, my own fears... Achluophobia, Acrophobia, and Insectophobia would be my major ones. .#. I still need brightly lit rooms to sleep, I tend to get nervous from dizzying heights, and having creepy crawly bugs roaming around my place would make terrified. >#<

Not sure how I could phrase it into a phobia name... but I would say another lesser fear of mine would be a fear of thinking about death. .#. Had quite a nasty number of insomniac nights from that...

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    apparently the phobia of planes is called aviophobia so that i guess. also have a real big deep fear of sex but uh you know i'm still cool.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • This is gonna sound dumb, but I have extreme Astynomiaphobia (fear of police). Being a person of color in America essentially guarantees more frequent run-ins with the cops, from experience.

Little story: my girlfriend's white mom had a headlight out, and she drove around for 3 months that way (especially impressive given that she drives 70 minutes to work and 70 minutes back 6 times a week). One night she asked me to take her car and pick up some milk from a dollar general, a store, mind you, that is 2 minutes walking distance from their house. 30 second drive. I got pulled over... I didn't even know the headlight was out lmao

I've likewise been pulled over almost ten times now under sketchy circumstances (like being cherry-picked for speeding 5 miles over when a dozen white people right next to me were doing 10 - even 15 - miles over). I generally try to abide by traffic laws as much as possible, and yet they always find a reason to pull me over for some stupid shit (I was legit pulled over and ticketed for not displaying current registration, even though I had it in my glovebox and had gotten it only one day prior, and had no time to stick it on my windshield.)

I have a panic attack every time I see a cop car now. I start shaking and sweating and I'm just sick of it.

Edit: sorry this post turned into social commentary d:

Last edited:

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
    Years
  • This is gonna sound dumb, but I have extreme Astynomiaphobia (fear of police). Being a person of color in America essentially guarantees more frequent run-ins with the cops, from experience.

Little story: my girlfriend's white mom had a headlight out, and she drove around for 3 months that way (especially impressive given that she drives 70 minutes to work and 70 minutes back 6 times a week). One night she asked me to take her car and pick up some milk from a dollar general, a store, mind you, that is 2 minutes walking distance from their house. 30 second drive. I got pulled over... I didn't even know the headlight was out lmao

I've likewise been pulled over almost ten times now under sketchy circumstances (like being cherry-picked for speeding 5 miles over when a dozen white people right next to me were doing 10 - even 15 - miles over). I generally try to abide by traffic laws as much as possible, and yet they always find a reason to pull me over for some stupid **** (I was legit pulled over and ticketed for not displaying current registration, even though I had it in my glovebox and had gotten it only one day prior, and had no time to stick it on my windshield.)

I have a panic attack every time I see a cop car now. I start shaking and sweating and I'm just sick of it.

Edit: sorry this post turned into social commentary d:

Sorry that is happening to you. =( I can see why you'd have that fear... Being from Germany and having moved to the U.S., I noticed quite of a race war going on. oO Especially on tv, it's horrible! I'd say a lot more, but it may be off topic... If you ever decide to make a topic about this thing to be discussed in Off Topic, please let me know! I'd love to make my own reply there! ^^

Hmm, to get back on track, I should probably add another phobia I used to have as a young teen... the fear to die in your sleep. I suppose it's called Somniphobia. I'd stay up very late and barely sleep because I kept thinking that if I'd fall asleep, I wouldn't wake back up. It took me a couple of years to get over that...

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I have a mild case of apiophobia due to a series of bad experiences growing up(and another just last year). Fortunately I'm not allergic, otherwise the phobia would likely be much greater.

Back