• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Asperger's Syndrome

Years
  • Someone of you may have heard of this, some of may have not.

Well, before I go technical on you, I'll explain.

Asperger's Syndrome is basically Autism on a less severe scale. People with Asperger's Syndrome, unlike those with Autism, can control certain aspects of their life, but the addictions to certain habits remain, except more controlled. They also can exceed in one thing, or having intense interests. Like how Satoshi Tajiri (the creator of Pokemon) used to make Pokemon. I'm not sure on his part, but I'll look into more.

They also have lack of empathy for others, physically clumsy, and lacking of non-verbal communication skills.

Take me. I control in my life...but my urges sometimes get the better of me. This site is one of those urges. Also I play my DSi for many hours, Japanese music, and sleeping for abnormal hours. (I can sleep from 4-11 hours.) But for the most part I can control my life fairly. But...unfortunately I have all the other signs of Asperger's as well. I have lack of empathy for others, I'm very clumsy, and I lack non-verbal communication. For example, I sometimes misread words, some of you have probably seen me in this site.

But I don't let this disorder get the better of me. In fact, it has helped me more than anything. I met lots of people on this site who helped me in ways I cannot explain. Also, I don't blame it for any problems I have in my life.

So yeah, let's talk about Asperger's Syndrome.

Oh yeah, quite a few people have Asperger's, some of you may recognize them.

Beethoven, Jane Austen, Alexander Graham Bell, Einstein, H P Lovecraft, Newton, Mark Twain, Van Gogh, George Washington and Bill Gates have it.

Last edited:

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    My brother has it. And he hates it. It makes him really sad. He thinks it makes him really different from the others. He has a hard time at school for things he can't control, and he blames all of it on Asperger's.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • I have it, or so my Doctor thinks. I disagree with her, but I suppose it's possible.

I'm somewhat clumsy. I'm very athletic, but I don't have the best coordination ever. I suck at dealing with people in general, and hate talking to anyone (Even over the phone, or in-game.) I also flinch really easily, which you didn't mention.

I don't have any of the other things you've listed though. In fact, I'd say I'm the opposite of the rest of the negatives you listed.

Very empathetic. (Maybe too much.)
    Great non-verbal skills.
    Very strong-willed, never have sudden urges, and have a very balanced/laid back lifestyle.

Perhaps I just don't have it as severely as you do, but maybe I've just overcome it over the years . (I do also have ADHD quite severely, which I have more or less overcome. It caused me hell in my Senior year, but otherwise, I'm doing okay.)

Last edited:
    Years
  • My brother has it. And he hates it. It makes him really sad. He thinks it makes him really different from the others. He has a hard time at school for things he can't control, and he blames all of it on Asperger's.

...I don't really know what to say, except that he shouldn't blame all of his problems on it.

Though I can sympathize, I kind of the same problems last year. But now I'm going to an alternative, and I'm doing quite well.

Anyway, not listening to me, you should probably try to help his problems, whatever they are. If they're urges, keep them away from away. No matter what. It may help.

I mean I wanna help, just don't know how...

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
    Years
  • yeah, well I have come to notice some of my "addictions" (pokecommunity being one of them) and my strengths, in science and Music... and, if you look at my recent VM's with TSO, you will notice the lack of Empathy...

of course, to add to this, I also have severe anxiety disorder, and a strong attachment to my family...

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. It was probably the reason I had a hard time being social as a child. However, I have overcome this inhibition to become a very sociable person with confidence and style galore. ;)

I'm like QuilavaKing in that I am quite empathetic and strong-willed, and I have great non-verbal skills. I also have a laid-back and balanced lifestyle.
    I am more coordinated than I used to be, though I end up falling over when I'm concentration on not falling over. And I run into walls sometimes, but that's when I'm just not paying attention.

I have really just started to break free from the constraints that Asperger's put upon me, but I feel I am overcoming everything quite well. Which is why I absolutely despise anyone using Autism/Asperger's as an excuse for their own or someone else's behavior. I know that it can be overcome, and using it as a fallback for things is not helping the person with the disorder at all; it is hindering them.

I went most of my life so far without a diagnosis of Asperger's. My parents knew something was off about me, and so took me to fourteen different psychiatrists over the course seven years. Out of these fourteen people, we received thirteen different diagnoses. The only one that was agreed upon was Asperger's, and I was diagnosed with that at ages twelve and fourteen. As a result of not being diagnosed, though, I had no legitimate excuse for my behavior. I had to grow up and learn things like a standard child would. I actually think this gave me a better chance to be able to function well in the world, because I have three stepbrothers on the Autism scale who are very sheltered and not nearly as developed in sets of skills as I was at that point.

All in all, I am actually very grateful that I have Asperger's. It helps me gather knowledge enough that I can recognize what I need to do to help myself be strong and work in this society. It is a gift and a curse, but the curse part can be overcome.

Last edited:

Zet

Years
  • Nikola Tesla had OCD, not asperger's syndrome.

I knew some people at school who had asperger's syndrome but they didn't let it get the best of themselves, in fact they pretty much never showed any quirkiness around other people.

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
    Years
  • wow TSO... I had no Idea we were so alike...

although I find some things you said hard to believe, I'll put that aside...

more about my Diagnosis:

I was not officially Diagnosed until about 6 months ago, at the age of 15. I had origonally seen a pediotritian (and a quite well respected one in my area) who had declined the diagnosis, saying that I was borderline, and that I had the choice whether or not I was given a diagnosis. I didn't want such a label.
    3 years later, we returned to the same pediotritian, with my attitude and marks (I go to a selective high school, and this was the first time I had gotten a C for anything besides PE) and I was given the Diagnosis, along with Anxiety disorder and depression.

I have since been on medication, but this has only made things worse, during the course of 6 months, I have been on 3 different drugs, all having no effect (else a negative one)

well, unlike you people, I have not been through to the other side of the tunnel, but I manage (barely) - my grades have continued to drop - so much that I might have to repeat a year (therefore be expelled)

please excuse bad tyoping as I currently have a horridly sticky keyboard, being not at ho,me.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Dark Pulse, we are not alike. I will never be like you.

And what things do you find hard to believe, if I may ask?

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
    Years
  • let's not bring this fight into here... If you really want an answer, I'll PM it to you

---------------------------------------------------------

quick note(s) that I have clung to, when it comes to coping:

-never forget the things you love, and never let them slip away from you...

-Que Sera Sera

Years
  • TSO, that was kind of harsh.

Alright, I guess I should explain my origins.

Truth is, I obtained Asperger's Syndrome when I turned 8. Before then, full blown Autism.

I was a mess. I walked away from my mom, IN NEW YORK CITY. I got lost. Daily.

I used to put m Pokemon toys in a straight line. If someone even touched it, I screamed like a banshee. Also, my Pokemon addiction back then makes my PC addiction look like a joke. If I didn't have the toy I wanted, I screamed and screamed and screamed.

But my mom went through it, denying everything I wanted so I learned I couldn't get everything I wanted. And that is how I now have Asperger's.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Which is why I absolutely despise anyone using Autism/Asperger's as an excuse for their own or someone else's behavior.
    I always felt that it wasn't a good excuse, and that I should put my all into overcoming it. I NEVER used it as an excuse for any of my shortcomings, even if it really was the cause (which it was most of the time.) I was really proud of myself for this, and felt it made me stronger, but last year, I used it as an excuse probably 2 or 300 times. I really just couldn't handle everything that was happening.

It can be pretty rough.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I find it interesting that you switched like that, インフェルノの津波. I've never heard of that happening.

QuilavaKing- It's rough, and it sucks that you did have to use that as a fallback. :(

Dark Pulse, if you have a problem with how I described events, then you will post them here because that is indeed the topic at hand.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Also, an odd thing that I've noticed about myself... the older I get, the more stupid I become. I was, quite literally, a genius as a kid. My IQ was over 160. (Or so some test that they performed on me says.)

Now, I'm not sure if I'll be able to even keep up in college... I'm not really sure why that is, but I wonder if it does have something to do with Asperger's.

I'm still the intellectual sort, and I'm way ahead of 90% of my high school (That's not saying much), but still. Compared to what I was...

Years
  • You have no idea.

It was hell for me and my mother. She had to endure me, a autistic child maniac. And I was denied of everything I wanted.

Thank god it's over.

QuilavaKing I agree with you. When I was a kid, I used to be outgoing and I did things almost exactly right. This was when I was 8. Fastforward to 15. I sometimes mishear things, I'm an indoor person, and I sometimes get tests wrong. When I was a kid, I aced everything.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • QuilavaKing, I feel that too. o.o It's so weird and does not sit well with me. D:
    インフェルノの津波, you both are happier now, right?

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
    Years
  • wow... gosh people have some lengthy stories with Aspergers...

I guess one of my passions was Family... I grew up in a typical Italian Family, and was taught early that Family was the most important thing in life, the ones that loved you most...

brb, sorry, I'm very busy...

Years
  • Yeah, we are. We're both focusing on our lives.

Well some people usually have long stories about Asperger's cause it's kind of a big thing and it effects your life, your family and who you ultimately are.

If I never had Asperger's, I'd never go on this site.

Back