• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokémon Fire Red Hacked Engine

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
How would one go about using this?
Is it just a matter of compiling, inserting it in the ROM and the Var 0x4062 will do the rest or...?

Sorry, I forgot to add in the insertion instructions. Just replace the pointer to the old routine (+1) at 0x7630

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Question on this rom base. How do I go about scripting the elevators in FR. Working on a hack and haven't found any resources on how to make elevator scripts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Does the call 0x1A74EB work for the hacked engine. I applied it and doesn't seem like it calls that script (to nickname a Pokemon)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Here's a small 'createsprite' fix for anyone using this engine. The script command createsprite's sprite number argument only allows for a byte, so this fix loads a table number from free ram and removes register size limits to allow you to create a sprite from any table.

I used free ram instead of a temp variable to remove any erroneous table loading that might occur in old scripts or other areas where the create_npc function is used. This method retains functionality and doesn't require changing old scripts to accomodate it.

To insert, just compile the following code, and copy the hex values at each .org offset from the .bin file to your .gba file. (after defining your own free offset and free ram byte. hint, 0x0203e000 - 0x0203f000 is free).

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 19, 2019
Why is that breaking every one rom im applying it to. Base fire red - complete white screen forever. Omega red hack - reset after oaks monologue. Some other hack that I downloaded only for tests - not crashing but there were looped trees and water everywhere. (cannot post images yet so you must believe me)

That's how I did it:
Used .isp file to patch rom.
Opened rom to check if it still works.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Why is that breaking every one rom im applying it to. Base fire red - complete white screen forever. Omega red hack - reset after oaks monologue. Some other hack that I downloaded only for tests - not crashing but there were looped trees and water everywhere. (cannot post images yet so you must believe me)

That's how I did it:
Used .isp file to patch rom.
Opened rom to check if it still works.

The patch was designed to be applied to a FR ROM for hackers to use as a base at the beginning of development, so it's not going to work if you apply it over the top of an existing ROM hack. RE: It not working on FR, are you sure it's the 1.0 version you have?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 19, 2019
I've used basic fire red that I had on disc, after it didn't work I downloaded it from and also tried to use it. First of them is 1.1 version of fire red, second was not precised. (,,rev 1"?)
If you are asking about hacked engine version, it was ,,Pokemon_Fire_Red_Hacked_v1.1.zip" file.

Edit. Oh, nice. It didn't work with clean fire red but worked with ,,Pokemon Fire Sun Hard + 900" rom. (just deleted some scripts, that's why I couldn't see first city after leaving house)
But I would like to know how to make it working with clean fire red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I've used basic fire red that I had on disc, after it didn't work I downloaded it from and also tried to use it. First of them is 1.1 version of fire red, second was not precised. (,,rev 1"?)
If you are asking about hacked engine version, it was ,,Pokemon_Fire_Red_Hacked_v1.1.zip" file.

Edit. Oh, nice. It didn't work with clean fire red but worked with ,,Pokemon Fire Sun Hard + 900" rom. (just deleted some scripts, that's why I couldn't see first city after leaving house)
But I would like to know how to make it working with clean fire red.

It needs to be the 1.0 version of FireRed you have in order to get the hacked engine patch to work =)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 19, 2019
It needs to be the 1.0 version of FireRed you have in order to get the hacked engine patch to work =)

Thanks, now it works. And now it's bugless. (for now)

Is there any way to keep all default scripts with this engine hack?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Thanks, not it works. And now it's bugless. (for now)

Is there any way to keep all default scripts with this engine hack?

That's great, glad you got it sorted! It's been actual years since I used this engine so not 100% but I think JPAN cleared out all the scripts from the patch version deliberately so that people could use it as a "clean slate". If you'd prefer, there's a tool you can use to apply features from the engine without using the patch - maybe that'd be better for you if you want to keep the original scripts?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 19, 2019
That's great, glad you got it sorted! It's been actual years since I used this engine so not 100% but I think JPAN cleared out all the scripts from the patch version deliberately so that people could use it as a "clean slate". If you'd prefer, there's a tool you can use to apply features from the engine without using the patch - maybe that'd be better for you if you want to keep the original scripts?

Where can I find that tool? It sounds very interesting.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Mar 19, 2019
I saw that before(because I thought it's main installer) and didn't(and still don't) know what to write in ,,hero switch" number and ,,choose the variables for the Dynamic OW's".

Years
I can't seem to be able to apply 0x9c to the rom; it says it's already occupied. I'm using a clean rom.
also for this:
Spoiler:

does that mean if I want it to use a different image I have to replace the one at that location?
Edit: seems like the version of firered I've found online is 1.1, maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen today
@Trinsdar

Always use Fire Red 1.0 (Squirrels) as ROM base. JPAN's Engine 1.1 only means that version 1.0 of JPAN's engine got a bugfix/update which is named JPAN's Engine 1.1. Not that it's a specific version for another base ROM than the 1.0 (Squirrels) of Fire Red.

Years
ah ok, I figured that had something to do with it, also I knew that the jpan version number meant it was a bugfix update of jpan. on another note, would it be possible for me to edit the old man special to be able to specify the backsprite texture location, or would that cause all kinds of problems?
Edit: could i actually just make my own special and insert it into free space?

Last edited:
Back