• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokémon Fire Red Hacked Engine

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 26, 2023
I have a weird problem that i've not heard anyone mention so far so it might be something i'm missing.
I've made a healing script as specified in the doc for the engine, when I die I end up in the right place at the pokemon center, but the first line of the healing text comes up on screen and stays there until I leave or access the pc in corner. It only shows the first line and doesn't play out the rest of the script. Anyway, here is the script.

#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
sethealingplace 0x1
setvar 0x405A 0x0004
setvar 0x405B 0x08
setvar 0x405C 0x04
release
end

Any help would be appreciated..

Last edited:
Years
So do I have to apply the "clean Fire Red patch" before applying the hacked engine v1.1?
There is also a bug after I apply this engine, that my mother (in the game) isn´t there and if I go outside I can´t move and the graphics and tiles are messed up.
Can someone help me?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 26, 2023
I had that when I first booted it up. You need to make sure there is a warp pad in the place you want to come out as well as where you want to exit the current map, and that they are connected. This happened to me until I realized the I didn't have a warp for the exit in Pallet Town.

As for the clean rom patch, I think it's necessary but i'm not 100% sure.

Years
I had that when I first booted it up. You need to make sure there is a warp pad in the place you want to come out as well as where you want to exit the current map, and that they are connected. This happened to me until I realized the I didn't have a warp for the exit in Pallet Town.

As for the clean rom patch, I think it's necessary but i'm not 100% sure.

Okay thank you very much.
I fixed it, but I noticed, that there´s is really no storyline anymore. No persons at all.
For my hack I would like to keep the Kanto line with a few changes and increases in difficulty.
Besides that I don´t really want to start from the very beginning and furthermore I don´t even know, how to script the persons in the 2nd floor of the pokecenter (multiplayer) and I want to keep that in the game.

Is it really a problem or am I making a huge drama and in reality it isn´t really a big deal?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 26, 2023
Well the hacked engine removes all the scripts from the game so you can start fresh, but if you wanted to keep the original scripts and modify them yourself then I think you would have to stick to an original copy of Fire Red.

The hacked engine does provides lots of extra scripting options but it also removes all the current scripts. I think there used to be a version of the hacked engine that that didn't remove the scripts but i'm not sure if it still available.

Hope this helps.

Years
Well the hacked engine removes all the scripts from the game so you can start fresh, but if you wanted to keep the original scripts and modify them yourself then I think you would have to stick to an original copy of Fire Red.

The hacked engine does provides lots of extra scripting options but it also removes all the current scripts. I think there used to be a version of the hacked engine that that didn't remove the scripts but i'm not sure if it still available.

Hope this helps.

Thank for your answer!
It would be cool, to take advantage of all these new features and keep the original scripts.

Years
Actually, this will render this hack useless. That is because I used the Script Area of the ROM to implement all code. If you want to use the old scripts, simply copy them from the original code and repoint them into your ROM.

So I did this and it worked, but I don´t know, if I made it right.
I used Hex Workshop copied everything an the non-patched Fire Red 1.0 ROM and pasted (and replaced) it with everything in the patched Fire Red ROM.
Is this right?
Will it keep all features, that the hacked engine gives?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 26, 2023
I'd imagine that it would have erased all the changes made to the rom. Unless you specifically knew how to repoint everything that was originally there as opposed to pasting over it. Everything that was there before would need to be added to free space on the rom, and then re-pointed. That would take forever especially if you weren't sure what you were doing.

The best thing to do is to test it by creating a sethealing place script (As explained in the .doc file that came with the hacked engine), and if that works correctly then happy dayz. If it doesn't work then you know it erased all the extra features.

Years
I'd imagine that it would have erased all the changes made to the rom. Unless you specifically knew how to repoint everything that was originally there as opposed to pasting over it. Everything that was there before would need to be added to free space on the rom, and then re-pointed. That would take forever especially if you weren't sure what you were doing.

The best thing to do is to test it by creating a sethealing place script (As explained in the .doc file that came with the hacked engine), and if that works correctly then happy dayz. If it doesn't work then you know it erased all the extra features.

Yeah I erased it.
How do I paste all the scripts only?

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 26, 2023
I honestly have no idea. If I was in your position I would probably just mod the original rom and not worry about the extra features. If you're lucky someone else may reply on here who knows more about the actual hex editing side of things. I know bits and bobs but nowhere near enough to know how to modify it safely.

Last edited:
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Mar 16, 2023
Yeah I erased it.
How do I paste all the scripts only?

If you use the Patch you will lose all scripts as there is a clean patch that takes all that out within the Hacked Engine patch.

It's a good idea to patch your clean rom with the Saveblock Patch then the Hacked Engine as it creates an area in RAM that is needed for the Hacked Engine.

Also do you have the Hacked Engine 1.1 with the Hack applier Tool?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 20, 2020
Oh good that's not just me- yeah the links appear to be broken, they just take me to a blank page :/

Years
Wow, this sounds amazing! However, the Only thing that's making it hard for me to
use this, is that emerald has tag battles, while FireRed doesn't, if someone found some
crazy way to add them, then i'd be an easy choice.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 13, 2017
I want to add a collision event sort of thing...
means a person script should run only if the player comes in the path of some moving person but i am not sure if this can be done or not...
please help!!!!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 10, 2022
If you're using the original scripts, or have any in the Fire Red script region (0x160000 to 0x1bb000), then no. But if you work on the 0x720000+ part of the rom (the common region for most people) then there should be no problem. Just remember to back up your hack before you try it.

Well, but it's possible to apply the changes, then change the offsets/pointers to your own (looking the differences in HxD), and restore the scripts from a backup. Am I wrong?

Back