• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could choose the next previous Starter Pokémon for a 7-star Tera Raid, what would it be and why?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Thus far, we got Charizard, Cinderace, Greninja, and Pikachu if you want to count Yellow and Let's Go: Pikachu. What Starter are you interested in seeing and battling next time?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Now this is a tough question... For me at least.
    My personal choice (though very unlikely) would be Delphox. (do I even need to say why?)
    Though for the sake of following the two Starters of each type trend, I'd like either Samurott or Empoleon.
    Dewott (Samurott just being the means to this end) is one of my favorite starter pokemon, so it would be really nice to have one in Paldea.
    I like Empoleon's dual typing of Water/Steel and I also really like Empoleon's regal design.
    If they decide to go with a Grass Starter next for whatever reason, I'd love to see Decidueye. Why? I like Owls, that's why.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Now this is a tough question... For me at least.
    My personal choice (though very unlikely) would be Delphox. (do I even need to say why?)
    Though for the sake of following the two Starters of each type trend, I'd like either Samurott or Empoleon.
    Dewott (Samurott just being the means to this end) is one of my favorite starter pokemon, so it would be really nice to have one in Paldea.
    I like Empoleon's dual typing of Water/Steel and I also really like Empoleon's regal design.
    If they decide to go with a Grass Starter next for whatever reason, I'd love to see Decidueye. Why? I like Owls, that's why.

I agree with you about Delphox. I really miss Delphox and want her to return. She's such an underrated Starter. I also loved Empoleon as well. I love its typing, cry, and regal design just like you. I wasn't the biggest fan of Generation IV, specifically Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, but when I played those games, I picked Piplup every single time, including in Brilliant Diamond. I wasn't the biggest fan of Samurott though. Sure, he looked cool and had a cool cry, but he was too painfully average in Black and White to me, as well as future games afterwards that he was in. I did choose Oshawott in Legends: Arceus though and I admit I do like Hisuian Samurott more so than the regular one. I just think they really missed out by not making him Water/Fighting instead of giving the Fighting type to Emboar. I mean, come on, he's a samurai of all things. As for Decidueye, I agree as well. I picked Rowlet for my Ultra Sun playthrough and actually took the time to hunt a shiny Rowlet in Sword last year. Shiny Decidueye looks amazing.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Shiny Decidueye looks amazing.

Extremely agree.

I'm not really fond of Samurott's design, but I LOVE Dewott's, as I said above. I'd give mine an Everstone just to keep it in that form.
    I picked Piplup for my first run of Platinum and really liked it. Same with Rowlet for my first playthrough of Ultra Sun as well. (I swear I'm not copying you, that's just how I did things when I played lol) Though I picked Chespin for my first run of Y, so there is one difference!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Extremely agree.

I'm not really fond of Samurott's design, but I LOVE Dewott's, as I said above. I'd give mine an Everstone just to keep it in that form.
    I picked Piplup for my first run of Platinum and really liked it. Same with Rowlet for my first playthrough of Ultra Sun as well. (I swear I'm not copying you, that's just how I did things when I played lol) Though I picked Chespin for my first run of Y, so there is one difference!

Lol, I see we have some things in common! I actually never used the Chespin line in any game. I want that to change though soon because I think Chesnaught is pretty cool. I didn't use Delphox's line in Y either. I always picked Greninja in Y, but considering that I plan on starting a new game for Generation 6, that might change, especially since Protean got nerfed. I know it's not nerfed in the old games, but it wouldn't feel right using an old effect that was changed. What I did was bred the Fennekin that I got post-game and transferred it to Ultra Sun and put it on one of my teams on that game.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I hijacked my own thread so I'll just quote myself here:
    The obvious pattern is that we'll get another Water starter, then two Grass-type ones. I can see another pattern:
    • Charizard - Gen I fave, one of the sub-mascots underneath Pikachu, owned by Ash
    • Cinderace - Previous generation's starter, I believe quite popular? With its hidden ability, after Greninja, means all 3 starter types get a fast one with Protean / Libero in the game.
    • Greninja - Super popular from Gen VI, owned by Ash who even gave it a special forme where it looked like him that carried over into the games.
    • Blastoise - Gen I fave / Inteleon - Previous gen's starter

Haha I can't believe my poor timing!

I think Pikachu is a break in the pattern and we'll get another 3 afterwards (Water, 2 Grass).

I would love it to be Hisuian Samurott - a good way to introduce the Hisuian formes' existence to players who didn't have PLA - but its the same typing as Greninja before Tera. So far all the raid Pokémon have been relatively frail, fast sweepers (I wonder if the Pikachu could have an unannounced Light Ball), so I think Inteleon is quite likely. But if they were to break the pattern I'd hope for Feraligatr. Gen II starters got no love in over a decade - their remakes were in 2011, they didn't get Mega or G-Max (weren't even in SwSh), and then only Typhlosion got a special new forme in Legends. Plus, Sheer Force would make its damage output devastating, and it has great coverage just like Cinderace and Greninja.

Would re-iterate my point about Sheer Force Feraligatr being potentially incredible damage output. Plus so far Cinderace is the only physical-based one.

If we go Grass, I would like to either see some Gen V love for Serperior or to give Sceptile a spotlight. Probably Serperior, despite my not really liking its design (and my strong Hoenn nostalgia) as its Hidden Ability is Contrary, which would mean that all the common strategies of lowering stats wouldn't work the same. Obviously skilled players could work round it, but it would be a nice curveball. Especially if they gave it Leaf Storm!

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I'd like to see Serperior (changed my mind). Dark tera to counter someone bringing a Ghost type to dodge the grass and normal moves. Iron tail to counter Fairy types, and Aerial Ace for the Bug types.

Serperior (Contrary, Dark tera)
    - Brutal Swing
    - Leaf Storm
    - Aerial Ace
    - Iron Tail

bonus moves
    - Reflect
    - Wrap

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    …and yet again we're wrong! It's both Water and Grass! Not-Suicune looks really cool, Not-Virizion looks…like Virizion.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • …and yet again we're wrong! It's both Water and Grass! Not-Suicune looks really cool, Not-Virizion looks…like Virizion.

This isn't a 7-Star raid though, and they definitely aren't starters. I think that's what the thread OP was referring to.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    This isn't a 7-Star raid though, and they definitely aren't starters. I think that's what the thread OP was referring to.

Oh right, is it only 5 or 6?

Then yeah, let's pray for Contrary Serperior!

I really like how these raids a) make starters absolutely fearsome (Megas and Gigas did too I guess, but here you can't just spam Behemoth Blade) and b) lead to people using a surprisingly varied amount of Pokémon (except for reddit's stratxtremists). Like Arboliva isn't going to be obliterating BSS as far as I know, and I would never have used an Appletun online if it wasn't good against Pika. Heck, if it weren't for Go I would probably have forgotten Oranguru and Lurantis existed yet they were both OP in the last set of raids!

So Serperior would be the epitome of this, as by far the least fashionable starter to take part.

Years
  • I'd love to see Delphox, but that would make it 3 Fire Starters vs 1 Water and no Grass starters so far.

Based on the starters that aren't on the unobtainable list and therefore are possible in /compatible with the game already:

Water starters: Samurott, Inteleon.
    Inteleon I guess. Gives me a chance to catch it in a Lure Ball.

Grass starters: Chesnaught, Decidueye, Rillaboom
    Chesnaught is the only one of the three with no Switch game to call home yet, plus I don't have it with HA yet.
    Wouldn't mind catching Rillaboom in the Friend Ball I've been saving for it either though.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Delphox was also my choice. Many people do not like Delphox for one reason or another, but it was an awesome change to break the Fire/Fighting problem. It is still one of my favorite fire starters.

But if we were to continue the trend and the next starter is indeed water, it be Farligatr. I'd love to see this pokemon make a return. It feels like it has been a long time since we saw it, similar to Cyndaquil until Legends. I'd love a Lure Ball Farligatr.

Now, if for some reason they do grass next, and while it isn't my favorite pokemon, I'd also like to see Maganium. We saw it in New Snap and it honestly looked amazing. Much like the other starters, it feels like it has been a long time since we saw it.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Either Emboar or Chesnaught. Give some space to an underrated starter for once.
    You cold get Meganium in Shining Pearl and Brilliant Diamond, while the two I said feel like completely forgotten.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • With the actual pattern as Charizard, Cinderace, Greninja, Decidueye, Samurott... I'd say Typhlosion is next. This is perfect for me because I caught a shiny Cyndaquil earlier this month. I'd like to transfer it to Scarlet/Violet and evolve it into its original form over the new Hisuian form.

Grass deserves some more love. I miss Chesnaught. That was my starter in the Kalos region.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    With the actual pattern as Charizard, Cinderace, Greninja, Decidueye, Samurott... I'd say Typhlosion is next. This is perfect for me because I caught a shiny Cyndaquil earlier this month. I'd like to transfer it to Scarlet/Violet and evolve it into its original form over the new Hisuian form.

Grass deserves some more love. I miss Chesnaught. That was my starter in the Kalos region.

I'm expecting Typhlosion as its the last of the Hisui starters. A lot of people are saying Dark tera type because its strong against its Hisuian typing - just like Decidueye's Flying and Samurott's Bug - but as it doesn't actually get any Dark-type moves, I'm going for Ghost. I do think they could throw us a curveball by making it a physical attacker though, as despite SpA being its highest stat its movepool is sorely limited: Fire, Normal, Ghost, Fighting, and Grass on the special side vs Fire, Normal, Rock, Steel, Fighting, Flying, Ground, Dark (Fling), Psychic, Ghost, Electric, and Fairy.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I'm expecting Typhlosion as its the last of the Hisui starters. A lot of people are saying Dark tera type because its strong against its Hisuian typing - just like Decidueye's Flying and Samurott's Bug - but as it doesn't actually get any Dark-type moves, I'm going for Ghost. I do think they could throw us a curveball by making it a physical attacker though, as despite SpA being its highest stat its movepool is sorely limited: Fire, Normal, Ghost, Fighting, and Grass on the special side vs Fire, Normal, Rock, Steel, Fighting, Flying, Ground, Dark (Fling), Psychic, Ghost, Electric, and Fairy.

I'd actually think Typhlosion would just be Fire tera, since Flying on Decidueye was for Brave Bird and Bug for Samurott was for Megahorn, Typhlosion big damage moves are Overheat and Inferno. I could see it being Ghost tera and having Shadow Ball though, there is even a corner-case for it having Psychic tera for Extrasensory egg move. If it's Fire tera then I think its coverage move will be Iron Head, and it will have Lava Plume and/or Inferno for getting burns. Hex makes sense to tack on after that, so moves would look something like Lava Plume / Hex / Iron Head / Double-Edge / Smokescreen / Will-O-Wisp.

Ok, after typing/thinking all of that through, I am thinking Typhlosion will be tera Steel. With Flash Fire that means only Fighting and Ground moves will be super-effective. Being able to burn attackers with Lave Plume and Will-o-Wisp is solid protection, and then it will spam Hex on the burned Pokémon. It also gives Iron Head wicked coverage against Rock and Ground types. Bringing a Pokémon with Flash Fire or Garganacl with Purifying Salt ability would be good.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Typhlosion just announced, and it's going to be Ghost tera. So disappointed. Flash Fire does nothing for it during the raid now.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Typhlosion just announced, and it's going to be Ghost tera. So disappointed. Flash Fire does nothing for it during the raid now.

I was thinking it was going to be Tera Grass because, then it could take full advantage of Sunny Day, Solar Beam, and spam strong moves like Eruption all day. Then again, Ghost makes sense because of its Hisuian counterpart, I guess.

IanXtreme

Wurmple Fan
    Days
    • Seen Jul 6, 2023
    I would like to see Serperior and Emboar!! I know it's unlikely but I just want the other Unova starters to be available in a switch game :(
    Samurott is my favorite but I ADORE all 3 of the Unova starters (and for that matter, the whole Dex) dearly, and I wanna be able to use them.

Back