• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Well this is a first...

Years
  • For the first time in any Pokemon game I've played, I am so underwhelmed with my starter Pokemon that I'm keeping it in the box in favour of a better Pokemon. There's just something about the starters in this game (I chose Sobble), that is so underwhelming to me that I can't justify keeping him on my team anymore. I decided to replace him with a Level 1 Milotic I will train up, a Pokemon I consider far superior. There are just my opinions, and are certainly not a consensus opinion by any means, but I never thought I would end up not using my starter in this game, especially so early in (just completed the 3rd gym).

Have any of you stopped using the starter you chose in any playthroughs you guys have done?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Gen 5. It's my least favorite batch of starters, so sometimes I don't end up using them long-term. It's not the only generation I've ditched the starter Pokemon in, but in most of those cases it was because I was doing a challenge run, or just to switch things up a bit for fun.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    Sobble lacks special coverage is the main problem.

I also boxed Drizzile for Gyarados, although it took me a while after beating the story to find the TR for Earthquake, but even then, Gyarados is really good thanks to Intimidate and Dragon Dance.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 23, 2020
    Been a bit disappointed by the starters for about the last three generations to be honest. - Well it's not so much the starters that are the problems but I don't really like the final evolution and let's face it, your starter always evolves about level 16!

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I feel the same way as well. There's something about these starters that keep me from wanting to use them, but I can't put my finger on it. I played through twice now and boxed Grookey the first time and then Scorbunny the second time. I also always do this in the fifth gen unless I pick Oshawott.

Years
  • The previous generation starters had unique type combinations when fully evolved, so it does feel a little odd to me to move from that straight to the basic single fire/water/grass. Still like Cinderace though and Inteleon's growing on me! But they're definitely not as interesting as Alola imo. ):

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I love the Galar starters (well, not so much Cinderace, but it's grown on me a little), but I do agree that the single typings are disappointing. :/ I would've been so happy if Inteleon were Water/Ghost type, like was rumored before release!

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I stopped using my Scorbunny in my first playthrough of Shield, mostly because it had an Attack-lowering nature. I will probably keep the Scorbunny I have in my current playthrough since I prefer Cinderace over the other starter evolutions.

I've sometimes either never used my starter or have replaced it with something else in previous playthroughs.

Years
  • I wish there was a way in-game to catch any of the starters from other generations early on. Let's Go gave you the Kanto starters rather early on, and Sun/Moon gave you a bunch of them with the Island scan. I wouldve loved to go through Galar with a Mudkip or a Snivy.

Years
  • I wasn't a big fan of the Gen 5 starters, but at least Oshawott and its evolution's were kind of cool. This gen has the worst starters by far in my opinion, but I've still got my Rillaboom in my party. He's walking through the gyms at the moment, I'll replace him soon though.

Uragirimono

this profile is embarassing dont look at me
    Years
    • Age 19
    • Seen Oct 6, 2023
    I always box my starters on second playthroughs, if that counts.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Am I the only one here who actually likes all of the Galar starters? I actually do feel like the starter is truly a partner Pokemon this time around. I don't really care that the starters don't gain a second type upon evolution. I ended up using my Scorbunny and Sobble all the way through my playthroughs and didn't box them even once. I honestly don't understand why people are so disappointed by them.

The only starters I've ever been disappointed by are the gen 5's final evolutions, and most of the gen six starters as a whole... idk, the gen 8 starters just have a better feel to them to me than those two.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I'm planning to drop my starter in SwSh once again. Moveset just isn't good enough. Will be better when I can breed High Jump Kick onto Scorbunny, but otherwise my Cinderace only has Fire and Fighting attacks.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I always utilize my starters, although I think it's safe to say that the Gen 8 starters are perhaps the most disappointing. I adore the Scorbunny line and Sobble, however, the rest I could do without.

I used Cinderace in the first run-through although for my second attempt I'm going to want a completely different team. As odd as it sounds, I've always felt obliged to make use of my starter and therefore doubt I will be able to box it.

I also don't understand why so many dislike the Gen 5 starters! Serperior and Samurott are splendid.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I love Inteleon, I can understand the disappointment with its overly scrawny arms and its giant hands but as a lizard lover I can not hate how lizardy it is (to me, it's a mixture of a Common Basilisk, Draco, Horned Lizard, and Chameleon) with the hilarious spy motif. I'm so glad I was Sobble Squad since day 1 because while I am not a fan of Galar's other starters, I used my starter until the end and it held its weight.

Only times I don't use my starter is challenge runs, namely Solo runs.

Back