• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Perfect Society

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
So two days ago in Language Arts classed we read part of Thomas More's Utopia book thing. The rules of the society were really strict and someone brought the point that with such strict rules and every male and female has a specific role, that eventually the society would die out, because it is not growing and someone gave the examples of Native Americans and the Europeans. We started reading the book The Giver and I'm wondering, what would you consider a perfect society?

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
There is no perfect society. Humans are not static beings; we cannot be governed completely by laws and rules. We have the free ability to think and feel and thus we will always be individual and inclined to follow our own moral codes.

Years
There is no perfect society. Humans are not static beings; we cannot be governed completely by laws and rules. We have the free ability to think and feel and thus we will always be individual and inclined to follow our own moral codes.

This.
Also:
The profound drive society has to advance forward will always ruin any kind of Utopia. We always are looking forward. And our drive to go forward creates clashes between populations wanting to go in a slightly different direction. Hence why our biggest technological advances have all been the result of war.
It's also a strange dynamic to be always content, for without sadness there is no joy.
You could say the only true Utopia is forever advancing therefore war-filled. A contradiction? Or is that what is happening right now?
The present, in all it's great unpleasantries, creates the only sustainable Utopia. We just call it life.

Years
Perfection isn't really something you can define. Or, well, it's not something you can define easily. I mean, you can say that freedom and happiness are what are needed, but if they were forced or you always felt happy that wouldn't necessarily be perfect.

This is a cop out, but I think the perfect society is the one that keeps trying to be perfect and changing and adapting as it needs to.

Hence why our biggest technological advances have all been the result of war.
Was the internet a result of war? I've never heard that it was.

Years
Perfection isn't really something you can define. Or, well, it's not something you can define easily. I mean, you can say that freedom and happiness are what are needed, but if they were forced or you always felt happy that wouldn't necessarily be perfect.

This is a cop out, but I think the perfect society is the one that keeps trying to be perfect and changing and adapting as it needs to.

That's pretty legit. Perfection as defined not by any normative criteria, but through practice.

Was the internet a result of war? I've never heard that it was.

Actually, you have no idea how true that is. The internet came from DARPANET, which pioneered the TCP/IP protocols. DARPA creates toys for the US military. Back when I was thinking about engineering, I fantasized about working for an organization like them ><

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Whenever I think about the perfect society, I think of the Matrix. That one scene where Morpheus gets captured and that one agent is telling him how the matrix came to be. At first, they tried a perfect society, but no one would accept it. It's like we thrived on pain and suffering.

What I'm trying to say is that there will never be a perfect society. There will always be pain and suffering because without it, how would we know what happiness was?

Years
It seems that a lot of us define a perfect world as one free from pain and suffering.
Well, I know I would certainly call a world full of pain and suffering imperfect so this sort of definition seems to be in the generally right direction for me.

I guess we could define 'perfect' by what it isn't.

Years
Actually, you have no idea how true that is. The internet came from DARPANET, which pioneered the TCP/IP protocols. DARPA creates toys for the US military. Back when I was thinking about engineering, I fantasized about working for an organization like them ><

Thank you for saving me the trouble. :)
You can still generally relate most things to within one or two inventions of something built for or during a wartime period. Obviously exceptions are abundant but are outweighed far too much to contrast.

Years
Thank you for saving me the trouble. :)
You can still generally relate most things to within one or two inventions of something built for or during a wartime period. Obviously exceptions are abundant but are outweighed far too much to contrast.
I'm still not sure I'm on board with the whole "war is good for progress" (paraphrasing) idea.

I mean, if you look at the US for an example, it's been at war for more years than it hasn't in its entire history so anything that's invented is already likely to happen during wartime. Really, I would think that you could say technological advancements happen whenever there is able money/supplies/facilities/etc. like there is in wartime. We could just put a ton of money into inventing new things without being at war and we'd probably see something similar.

Years
I'm still not sure I'm on board with the whole "war is good for progress" (paraphrasing) idea.

I mean, if you look at the US for an example, it's been at war for more years than it hasn't in its entire history so anything that's invented is already likely to happen during wartime. Really, I would think that you could say technological advancements happen whenever there is able money/supplies/facilities/etc. like there is in wartime. We could just put a ton of money into inventing new things without being at war and we'd probably see something similar.

That's just the thing though. There's no incentive like war.

I think escaping the state of nature is a good step towards a perfect world.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
DUDE! THE BOOK IS THE GIVER RIGHT!?!?

:D i red that book before, very cool :3

also, its very possible for a perfect society to exist, by definition. though it isn't easy and may not stay forever. i just know that looking at it from the inside, nothing that will be happening will seem wrong and everyone will be happy. I don't know about the people who may come into in though. They might mess everything up depending on the society and the person.

Years
A "perfect society" cannot exist. There will always be people who don't fit in and who are not satisfied with their situation. Even if there's a society that is pre-determined and where everything seems save, some people actually value making own decisions etc.

Read "Brave New World" written by Aldous Huxley and you will get what I mean. A very interesting story/topic that deals with a so-called "perfect" society and its rebels.

Years
Perhaps then a perfect world will have everybody fitting in, and everybody being a valued member of the community.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
If there is such a thing as a perfect society, there would be no need for any weapons, including nuclear missiles, tanks, whatever have you. Alas, it is not meant to be, & such things are a necessary evil in this damned planet...

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Everything I wanted to say has pretty much been summed up in this thread xD

Basically, perfection is different for each individual.

Utopia = Dystopia

--

A society cannot be perfect, only its fundamentals can. We seek perfection according to a design but that design will always have errors.

Like, for example, monarchy, representative democracy, communism, and anarchy. These are the best examples.

A Monarchy works because no one - except the ruler - has to worry about making decisions. Atleast, the majority of decisions... But when the ruler fails to make the correct decisions, that's a fault in the society, not monarchy.

Rep. Dem. states that your representatives have your best interest and, when they speak on your behalf, they say what you would. When this is not the case, which shows discord in the society, it fails - but Rep. Dem. is not at fault, the society is.

Communism works in China, for example, but didn't work in other nations because those nations could not achieve communism's standard. Anarchy states that everyone will be able to rule themselves (self-rule) without going against the will of others. When this fails, survival of the fittest occurs. In both Communism and Anarchy, the society may fail but the CONCEPT is, itself, perfect.

^ So, every TYPE of society is inherently perfect on their own. Applied, however, weaknesses generate and the societies themselves, as a result, are imperfect and may fail due to that.

--

As for the idea that advancement won't occur, you should watch the anime Mawaru Pengiundrum. It's where I learned about the Frozen World concept - you'll see a great example of the halt of advancement

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
Years
"Perfect" is quite a relative term. What's perfect for me, might be less than ideal for you, and what's ideal for you might be less than ideal for me.

Since we as humans are all unique as snowflakes in most important aspects, I don't think anything could ever be called perfect. There's just no sustainable way to attend to the individual needs of all.

That said, as humans, we are as adverse to stagnation as we can be to change. What might be perfect for me today may not suffice tomorrow, and what I didn't want yesterday could be what I want today. I'm not trying to say that I or anyone else is really that indecisive though, just illustrating how capable we are of changing our wants and wishes.

That being said, if it could be done, then everyone would likely all be pretty well isolated in their own perfect worlds, never really knowing others.

Back