• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Operating System Ever Made

danks_

NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!
Years
Hard to use how? What exactly is it you find so hard to use? The Metro Start screen (despite ugly) is very straight forward and that's pretty much the only change that has been made, control panel wise, file searching wise, software installing wise is exactly the same as Windows 7, and the only difference I see between 7 and XP, is the look and the UAC feature.

How is it hard? What about it is so confusing? I don't get your point.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
Hard to use how? What exactly is it you find so hard to use? The Metro Start screen (despite ugly) is very straight forward and that's pretty much the only change that has been made, control panel wise, file searching wise, software installing wise is exactly the same as Windows 7, and the only difference I see between 7 and XP, is the look and the UAC feature.

How is it hard? What about it is so confusing? I don't get your point.

Yes the Start screen with all the windows I do not understand the point of it all and scrolling to the top corners and having applications there for some reason

Years
At first I didn't like the idea of Windows 8, but now I'm actually looking forward to a new laptop sometime this summer with Windows 8.. I have friends that made the switch and have positive thoughts on Windows 8, it was enough to convince me that Windows 8 is not a bad OS at all. :)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
OMG that second to last post, what a quote.

Windows XP is the best OS

All other Windows OS are c***

EOS.
You should read that second to last post and the other one I posted. Windows XP was decent for its time, but its time is long past. And the (desktop) Windows OSes since have ranged from decent to great.

Oh, twocows, I have to agree on some of the stuff you posted, I do agree that OS X has some positive stuffs in it, it's just not a fit for me :) Thanks for the nice chat, I'm out of here, people's opinions are too closed and also deny to look at the positive aspects of W8, it's easier to say its s*** and c*** and what not.
It's not for me, either. I don't use it, nor will I ever unless it's in a VM or unless there's some reason I have to use it. It just doesn't fit my style.

Windows eight is BS and does nothing but full me with anger.

How do you close IE???? See??!!!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=close+internet+explorer+windows+8

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
As far as what people usually say about Vista being total crap, I beg to differ. There's a way to work Vista to do pretty much everything XP could do, and if it was removed in Vista there was always a workaround.

The one thing that pissed me off about 7 was the way they introduced the whole ClearType Selection Wizard BS, getting rid of the simple checkbox in the CP that Vista had. In 7 you have to edit the registry to turn off ClearType, which IIRC is also irreversible. Go figure.

As for Windows 8, I don't dare to try it because of its interface. It was a really poor decision by Microsoft to put a Tablet OS onto a desktop.

...You know, there's a reason OS workability keeps getting smaller and smaller with each new release of Windows. Why is that? Well, Microsoft doesn't target people who are intelligent enough to know not to screw up their computers. They don't target people who have the sense to know not to screw around in the registry or with system files and know that they'll probably screw something up. You know who they target? The unenlightened masses. The people who don't care what the computer can do, as long as they have their Angry Birds and their Amazon and their Facebook and all that. Why? The unenlightened masses vastly outnumber the intelligent human beings who know the potential computers hold and use it. Simple as that. And it's sad really, that corporations like Microsoft are going to waste such an unprecedented and valuable innovation on mindless people with mindless intentions doing mindless things on their computers, honestly.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The one thing that pissed me off about 7 was the way they introduced the whole ClearType Selection Wizard BS, getting rid of the simple checkbox in the CP that Vista had. In 7 you have to edit the registry to turn off ClearType, which IIRC is also irreversible. Go figure.

Nope. You can change whether you use ClearType or just standard text AA with the ClearType Tuner. The tuner is there to better tweak ClearType for different monitors and people, as people react differently to subtle changes in font rasterization with ClearType, or any AA font method, for the matter of it. You can disable any AA by going to System Properties and changing visual effects from there, and it's perfectly reversible.

Even if you have a CRT monitor, sometimes, ClearType still makes things look better. Sometimes. It'll have less of an effect than on LCD panels, but there's a perceptible difference. Whether the difference is good or bad depends on the person - to me, it's good.

As for Windows 8, I don't dare to try it because of its interface. It was a really poor decision by Microsoft to put a Tablet OS onto a desktop.

I'll agree with this. However, 8.1 should make things a whole lot easier, and you can still stick with 7 if you wish.

...You know, there's a reason OS workability keeps getting smaller and smaller with each new release of Windows. Why is that? Well, Microsoft doesn't target people who are intelligent enough to know not to screw up their computers. They don't target people who have the sense to know not to screw around in the registry or with system files and know that they'll probably screw something up. You know who they target? The unenlightened masses. The people who don't care what the computer can do, as long as they have their Angry Birds and their Amazon and their Facebook and all that. Why? The unenlightened masses vastly outnumber the intelligent human beings who know the potential computers hold and use it. Simple as that. And it's sad really, that corporations like Microsoft are going to waste such an unprecedented and valuable innovation on mindless people with mindless intentions doing mindless things on their computers, honestly.

One of the things that Windows does not do is restricting the user's ability to do whatever with the operating system. Don't like something? There should be third-party applications for just that need. Microsoft is merely responding to market trends - however, I'd say that they failed because a hybrid OS doesn't work well when you think about it hard.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Windows eight is BS and does nothing but full me with anger.

How do you close IE???? See??!!!

Easy, you don't use the Metro (I know it's called Modern now but it was introduced as Metro so I'll continue to call it such) app.

What I don't understand is that people feel as avoiding metro is a crime. Try GNOME 3.X if you think Metro is so awful.

Once you get accustomed to it though...it's really not that bad. :/

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Even if you have a CRT monitor, sometimes, ClearType still makes things look better. Sometimes. It'll have less of an effect than on LCD panels, but there's a perceptible difference. Whether the difference is good or bad depends on the person - to me, it's good.
My monitor is so old the pixels bleed into each other like hell, creating a blazing blur on non-blended objects on my screen. (I'm using one of those old flat panel monitors from the early 2000s, sorry)

One of the things that Windows does not do is restricting the user's ability to do whatever with the operating system. Don't like something? There should be third-party applications for just that need. Microsoft is merely responding to market trends - however, I'd say that they failed because a hybrid OS doesn't work well when you think about it hard.

Way to turn a negative into a positive, Twiggy. I like that. However, I do fear the day when we can't do what we want with computers, which is a frightening thought in itself.

Zet

Years
The same way you close any other app. Put the mouse at the top of the screen, click, hold, and drag right down to the bottom. Or swipe from the top of the screen to the bottom if you're on a touch screen. Or if you're really lazy, go to your Task Manager, and end IE from there.

Here's my question: Why are you even using IE?

I honestly don't see Windows 8 as a bad OS. It's only bad if you don't have a touchscreen, but with the update that is coming soon, it looks like it'll get a lot of well-deserved fixes, including half-half screen split instead of 25-75 or 75-25 splits. The one thing I'm liking about W8 is the amount of customization that you can put into it. It's a lot more than any previous version of Windows offered, and that's just right out of the box. In my opinion, Vista has to be the worst, based on personal experience. It was downright buggy, and it was very slow on my desktop, especially because there was a dramatic speed increase when I got a 7 Home Premium upgrade from a friend last Christmas.
IE is actually good now. If it could do all the things chrome could do right now(syncing, etc), I would switch to it.

Mephodicus

Inventor
Years
Right now, I'm using OSX 10.8 on my MBP. I love this machine to bits, mainly because it boots up within 10 seconds or so, and it's worked flawlessly so far.

As far as saying what is the worst OS, I'd have to say ME. It was sluggish, slow, and in MS's choice in making a 16-32bit hybrid OS was one of the worst decisions they've ever made. They would have better luck marketing a home version of Windows 2000.

Windows 8 isn't entirely bad, but I can't see why Metro would be a boon for me. I still use 7 on my workstation as I've used it long enough to know it's ins and outs. That's not to say I couldn't do the same with 8, but it just doesn't have any deal-breaking features that would make me buy the OS. I'll probably wait until the next version of windows.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 7, 2022
I absolutely despise the UI of any Mac OS. Windows 7 is the best operating system ever made. I also don't quite get the hate for Windows 8. I don't care for it much since it is designed for less advanced computer users, but that isn't a bad marketing move on their part, since tablets are becoming extremely popular and a large amount of the population can't even create a new folder.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Alright, maybe I've kept quiet for far too long.

I have three OSs that I think that are the worst ever. Windows ME, Windows CE, and Windows Vista. Of course, like most of the reasons in this thread, Windows ME had a TON of security issues. Like...it's virtually possible to bypass the login screen even if you have secured your account with a giant password. I remember when I was in middle school the computers in the library kept BSODing and it was mostly the OS and not the computers themselves. Thankfully, it took them three months for them to figure what the problem was...and the solution was to get rid of ME and use 2000.

Windows CE...don't even get me started on that. Two years ago, my sister got an entry-level laptop for a Christmas gift, in which my parents did not consult me first before they bought it :(. I mean, the laptop was in perfect shape and it was great for my little sister. But the OS had Internet Explorer FOUR installed, and you canNOT install anything on the computer, not even upgrade the browser to the current Internet Explorer version. The computer was impossible to use, all the crappy apps installed on the computer were the only things you can use, there was also a Word version but it was more of notepad rather than actual WORD.

I have a soft spot for Windows Vista, but it's a total RAM hogger. My previous computer was a Vista computer, with 512 GB ram. At first I thought it was the processor, but once I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB it ran a bit smoother, but it was still slow. It was always at 85% RAM. I have no idea why I kept that computer, I just had a little faith in the OS but it was just....ugh.

I don't see anything wrong with Windows 8. I have it and I really like it. The only flaws I've seen was the inability to log on to windows without a password, and their skype app. That's it. I'm sure those things are just easy fixes once a new version of windows comes around, but so far, I am not too bothered.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Windows CE...don't even get me started on that. Two years ago, my sister got an entry-level laptop for a Christmas gift, in which my parents did not consult me first before they bought it :(. I mean, the laptop was in perfect shape and it was great for my little sister. But the OS had Internet Explorer FOUR installed, and you canNOT install anything on the computer, not even upgrade the browser to the current Internet Explorer version. The computer was impossible to use, all the crappy apps installed on the computer were the only things you can use, there was also a Word version but it was more of notepad rather than actual WORD.

Strange. Internet Explorer 4, two years ago? I'm pretty sure at that point of time, new Windows CE devices should come with at least IE7, and maybe IE9 Mobile is already made available then.

I suspect the Windows CE laptop you've gotten wasn't new.

Also, Windows CE is actually, technically speaking, a kernel. It's also what's behind Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7.x - it's the latter part that I'd like to bring your attention to. It's one of the few mobile operating systems that can make great use of limited system resources, and it flies.

(Windows Phone 8.x moved to Windows NT.)

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I have a soft spot for Windows Vista, but it's a total RAM hogger. My previous computer was a Vista computer, with 512 GB ram. At first I thought it was the processor, but once I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB it ran a bit smoother, but it was still slow. It was always at 85% RAM. I have no idea why I kept that computer, I just had a little faith in the OS but it was just....ugh.
Vista ran background optimizations with extra resources when available. These operations do not slow down your computer, as they are stopped immediately when anything of a higher priority starts (including any user-initiated operation). I believe from Win7 on, they just stopped showing this in the RAM usage meter because so many people complained about it, not realizing it wasn't having any impact on their workload.

Every OS after it does the same thing, people just don't complain because by now they've bought 21st century computers instead of trying to run modern OSes on toasters. Also, from 7 on, there were some minor UI tweaks that make things "feel" faster (loading certain UI elements before things are actually functional, for instance, lets the user "get into" the program a few seconds faster).

MasterDraco

Pokémon Commander
Years
I use Mac OS X Mountain Lion and Love it... Vista has got to be the worst OS Ever Made...
In terms of Mobile OS Windows 8 is still probably one of the worst but Blackberry OS is VERY high on the Terrible Operating System Scale...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I use Mac OS X Mountain Lion and Love it... Vista has got to be the worst OS Ever Made...
In terms of Mobile OS Windows 8 is still probably one of the worst but Blackberry OS is VERY high on the Terrible Operating System Scale...

if you're talking about Windows 8 on tablets, then I might have to agree. I was kinda close to buying a Microsoft Surface but I backed out. So I went for a desktop instead. Probably the best decision ever. I heard that it's not even worth buying the Surface. You don't really get the work done and the keyboard is weird when you type with it.

Never tried the Blackberry OS, but my dad's a blackberry person so despite all the bad reviews and the sucky comments he'll still want to have one. xD For me, it's just missing something that both Windows and Apple have.

catroZ

Working...Don't bother me...
Years
Windows Vista has to be the worst, closely followed by Windows ME.
Windows 8 on a desktop pc is quite bad

Back