• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
Forum User Name: Pekin
Game(s): Omega Ruby
Pok?mon Type: Normal
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Just felt like doing a Monotype Challenge again, and I don't think I've ever done Normal-type. Anyway, I'm just about to maybe challenge Roxanne, although I think it might be a bit of a challenge with my current team. The plan is to spam Sand-Attack to be able to get some power going on Whismur's Echoed Voice and bet on the relatively low Special Defense of Rock-types. It might not work, and I might need to level a bit more. Anyway, here's my team so far:
zigzagoon.gif

Zigzagoon, lv. 13 w/ Oran Berry
Female // Jolly // Pickup
- Headbutt
- Baby-Doll Eyes
- Tail Whip
- Sand Attack
taillow.gif

Taillow, lv. 13 w/ Oran Berry
Male // Jolly // Guts
- Wing Attack
- Growl
- Focus Energy
- Quick Attack
whismur.gif

Whismur, lv. 13 w/ Oran Berry
Male // Modest // Soundproof
- Echoed Voice
- Pound
- Astonish
- Howl

EDIT: Holy hell, Whismur didn't even come into play! Zigzagoon spent all of its conscious turns out incapacitating her Geodude with Sand Attack and Baby-Doll Eyes. I figured I'd send Taillow in next to maybe get a couple of Growls in before setting up Whismur for the sweep. Lo and behold, Geodude missed so much and dealt so little damage, that Taillow was able to bring home the victory! Enough Growls and a Focus Energy, and it even brought down her Nosepass! I won against Roxanne with a frickin Taillow! (Aided by an important setup by Zigzagoon, thanks)

EDIT 2: And in a much less shocking twist, Taillow completely wiped the floor with Brawly!

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Too tired to post formally, buuuutttt...

DeciduSteel Pearl - COMPLETE

And dear Arceus was I underlevelled.

Final team, from least useful to MVP:
Glassworm - Lv29 Wormadam-Trash (F) - I benched Glassworm as soon as I got Cobalt for an HM slave spot, but she came back strong in the E4 and played a large role in wins over Aaron and Flint.
The Fort - Lv42 Bastiodon (F) - Honestly, her Special Attack was just too underwhelming to do much. She didn't get a single relevant KO after Candice.
Cobalt - Lv44 Lucario (M) - Punched stuff. Probably would place higher if not for his horrible availability.
Icebreaker - Lv44 Empoleon (M) - Icy provided the Water coverage this team desperately needed, and was generally super fun to use. Fell off a bit in late-midgame, but came back strong and earned battle MVP awards for both Lucian (shared with Liberty) and Flint.
Liberty - Lv44 Bronzong - Lib was kinda quiet most of the game, but always pulled its weight. However, it also earned battle MVPs for Bertha, Lucian (shared with Icebreaker), and most notably Cynthia. Levitate was an amazing asset to the team, and I honestly would now be ok with using Bronzong again.
MVP - Seneca - Lv46 Steelix (M) - Consistant and always powerful, Seneca was my go-to mon in times of crisis for a majority of the game. Amazing coverage with the elemental fangs, EQ for actual damage, and just generally being awesome.

This was a great team, and a great run.

Now to finish the Ice run before USUM comes out.

BugBoyTroy

Professor in-training
Years
Forum user: trotz59
Type: Bug
Game: Leafgreen
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Ultimate

Years
Sun Fairy Monotype - Update #2
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 7 The update that took a month to make.

Coming off a grinding session, and still lacking a Fire Stone, our "Hero" ventures back into Violet city. And now it is also time to end this third person narrative! After healing my 'mons
, I go to the theater, where what do you know, turns out Team Rocket also harasses women in addition to animal cruelty and theft. So being the good Samaritan I am, I spring into the battle head first. Unluckily for him, he only had a level 12 Koffing, and I mopped the floor with him before you could say bob's your uncle, and he scurries off like the coward he is. I also obtained HM03 Surf, which a whopping none of my Pokemon can learn, except for my HM mule. Now with nothing else to do, it is time to face Morty, and oh boy am I Morty-fied.

Gym battle start! I lead off with LinconPark, and 1 shot his Gastly with a faint attack. I send in AC/DC to face his Gengar, to get off a Will-O-Wisp, BUT I get one shot.... Really??? Now I go into Metallica, who also gets wrecked by the Gengar. Luckily LinconPark Survives, but does not kill with Faint Attack... Ugggh. With Nickelback also going down in one shot, The Gengar officially has swept my entire team. Now more grinding I guess, now I remember why I hate Morty.

And many days went by during this period of grinding, BUT AC/DC learned Flamethrower, giving me a powerful fire type move finally. With the training session over, and this update taking a month to make :P and a whole team of Lv 25's, it is time to rematch Morty.

I lead off with LinconPark again, kill the Gastly, then the Gengar comes in. He starts off with a Shadow Ball, I live, an nail a Faint Attacc. Sadly I do not live the second Shadow ball, so I go into AC/DC, and go to sleep, stupid Gengar. I switch into Metallica, and get mean looked. Gengar's Sucker Punch does not do much damage, but I do NOT eat a shadow ball. Gengar then kills Nickelback, and I am forced back into AC/DC, I wake up first turn, land the flamethrower, and KILL the Gengar. I stay in on the Haunter to get a Flamethrower off. The Haunter used curse, putting it into kill range. Now I will use a super potion on AC/DC, knowing Night shade and curse will not put me into kill range. Sadly AC/DC goes down, so I switch into GunsNRoses to revive LinconPark. Haunter uses curse, but it does not matter, GunsNRoses is only in to heal LinconPark. So I use a Super Potion, GunsNRoses takes Curse damage. I know I will die, so I use dig to speed up the process. I send in LinconPark, Haunter does not use Sucker Punch, and I kill with Faint Attack! Finally I beat Morty, and what a well earned victory is was! Fog Badge recived! Morty gives me the Shadow Ball TM and I'm on my way.

The Band of Fire

Metallica (Quilava) (M) - Charcoal
Level: 25
Abilty: Blaze
Nature: Timid
-Headbutt
-Leer
-Smokescreen
-Flame Wheel
Metallica continues to conquer everything as always, sadly it only had a small role vs Morty.

Nickelback (Slugma) (F) - Quick Claw
Abilty: Magma Armor
Nature: Lax
-Recover
-Rock Smash
-Ember
-Rock Throw
Well, Nickelback did not do too much this time around, as it was too slow to do anything Meaningful to Morty's ghosts. Slugma's shortcomings are starting to become somewhat apparent.

AC/DC (Vulpix) (F) - Shell Bell
Abilty: Flash Fire
Nature: Lonely
-Flamethrower
-Confuse Ray
-Will-O-Wisp
-Quick Attack
Despite being a bit underwhelming at first, once AC/DC learned Flamethrower, she quickly became a key part to defeating Morty.

LinconPark (Magmar) (M) - None
Abilty: Flame Body
Nature: Careful
-Leer
-Ember
-SmokeScreen
-Faint Attack
Thank Goodness for Faint Attack, or else I would have never got past Morty without excessive grinding.

GunsNRoses (Eevee) (M) - None
Level: 5
Abilty: Adaptability
Nature: Jolly
-Tail Whip
-Tackle
-Helping Hand
-Dig
Until I get a fire stone from Schoolboy Alan or decide to grind out the Pokeathalon, GunsNRoses will be taking a back seat in the team. Will likely be given Return for coverage.

OTHERS
Ache Emm(Cut Slave)
FakeTree(Sudowoodo)
Penny(Adorable Togepi)

Years
Sun Fairy Monotype - Update #3
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

CreahtineGainez

Doom Slayer
Years
First time poster here. Signing up for the ultimate challenge. Also, how do I post the sprites for the pokemon? haha.

Username: CreahtineGainez
Type: Psychic
Games: Yellow, Gold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, Black 2, Y, Moon.
Mode: Ultimate

Already started my yellow run. Made it to Viridian Forest and going to keep using Pikachu until I get to Abra.

Team:
-Wattson (Pikachu) Lvl. 10

Years
I've decided to do montype Bug on my first UM completion, so here is a sign-up:

Forum User Name: Kostucha
Game(s): Ultra Moon
Pok?mon Type: Bug

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
Years
Forum User Name: Andrew
Game(s): FireRed, SoulSilver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2, X, Moon
Pok?mon Type: Dragon

Looking forward to getting started on this challenge!

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I can't update the OP with USUM-specific rules right now, so I'm just posting them here so you guys know. These also apply to the Nuzlocke thread.

In spoilers just in case:
Spoiler:

That's all I can think of for now, if anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to PM me.

Last edited:
Years
Here's my sign-up

Forum User Name: viper8890
Game(s): Black
Pokémon Type: Dark

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Right, so I don't have the game on me, but...

DeciduICE Sun Complete!!!!!
Final team:
Frostbite the Sandslash
Mountain the Crabrawler
Diamond the Glaceon
Spike the Cloyster
Deity the Ninetales
Soul the Froslass

Aaaaaaand with that said...

Forum User Name: Ultra Decidueye
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single (for now, considering ultimate)

Woo is this going to be FUN! Full team before the first trial? Yes please! Hala and the Water Trial should be annoying, but let's just see where the wind blows.

Anyway, I picked Mania the Litten as my starter.

Years
UPDATE 1
Spoiler:

TEAM
Spoiler:

BOX
Spoiler:

Years
Sun Fairy Monotype - Update #4
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

I already have the last update, but don't want to overload this page so quickly.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Single-update challenges are the *best*

pw8EB0x.jpg

ULTRA DeciduDARK Complete!

Oh man was that a ton of fun. None of the Totems were terribly hard, although a few of them took a reset or two. Here are the MVPs for each major battle and overall:

Raticate - Colours the Inkay (who didn't make the final team)
Hala - Colours the Inkay
Water Totem - I forget :(
Fire Totem - Rush the Murkrow
Grass Totem - Rush the Murkrow & Mania the Torracat
Olivia - Unleashed the Zoroark
Electric Totem - Mania the Torracat
Ya Boi 1.0 - Hero the Pupitar
Spoopy Totem - '06 the Grimer
Ya Boi 2.0 - '06 the Muk
Nanu - Unleashed the Zoroark
Ya Boi 3.0 - Hero the Pupitar
Lusamine - Literally everyone did something here.
Kommo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o - Rush the Honchkrow (solo)
WOW SPOILERS 1.0 - Rush the Honchkrow (one-shot lol)
WOW SPOILERS 2.0 - Forces the Bisharp
I mean this is a spoiler too - '06 the Muk (solo)
Hapu - Unleashed the Zoroark
E4 Acerola - Rush the Honchkrow
E4 Kahili - Hero the Tyranitar (solo)
E4 Olivia - Forces the Bisharp (solo)
E4 spoiler - Forces the Bisharp
Champon - Forces the Bisharp

Overall MVP - Unleashed the Zoroark

Aaaand here was the final team:

Spoiler:

And here are some wonderful pics from this adventure.

Spoiler:

Years
This is my first time posting for a challenge here! I've been following to get ideas for my personal challenges, but I hope my first time posting goes well! I'm going to be starting with Ultra Sun!

Forum User Name: QCat18
Game(s): Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White 2, Y, Ultra Sun

Update:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Sun Fairy Monotype - Update #5 - Final Update
Spoiler:

The Final Team:
Spoiler:

And while I'm here, time to start my first round of Ultra!

Forum User Name: Swagroar
Pokémon Type: Psychic

Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back