• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scenario IV - Glory, or not?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • What would you do?
    A fun little discussion here in Pokemon General where you discuss what you would do in certain scenarios!

What is this about?
    These are simply about hypothetical scenarios that would occur to you if you were in the Pokemon World (or not!). This is pretty much the entire premise of WWYD (What Would You Do); that is, what would you do in a given scenario? Remember that there are no right or wrong answers, just your thoughts!
    Can I suggest some scenarios, too?
    Of course you can! In fact, I highly encourage you to! Feel free to PM me (Dragon)!
    What would you do in this scenario?
    It's your last pokemon in a gym battle for a badge and it's looking rather weak. Even though it took a lot of damage, it wants to continue battling. But the gym leader suggests you quit for its safety. Would trust your pokemon's wishes and fight, or will you back down for its safety? What would you do?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Tricky, actually. I'd probably back down. I wouldn't be the kind of trainer to push my pokémon too far - we could just challenge the gym again at a later point.

However, I also wouldn't like my pokémon to learn that they could chillax in important battles and not give their fullest, because when things get tough, I'll let them off the hook. So it's not an easy choice o:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Depends a lot on what this Pokemon is, how long we've been together, who we're up against, how the rest of the battle went, etc.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    The topic doesn't mention whether items play a factor into this or not... so my most natural answer would be... I give my pokemon a potion and we continue.

If items are not supposed to be in this situation, then we will continue anyways. Losing is an important part of life, but giving up is a sign of weakness. I would rather my pokemon lose while trying their hardest instead of giving up when there was a possibility of success. Who knows, maybe the Gym Leader's pokemon has a weakness or can be swept up into a play that it can't recover from, but you can't exploit that if you take the current state of the battle at face value.
    I have had competitive battles where my entire team would be finished off except for my last pokemon and the battle looks one sided, only to come back around with my last pokemon and pull an unlikely victory from the clutches of defeat.

To give up in that fashion is to show weakness to your pokemon and lack of trust in your pokemon, and that is much more harmful then being defeated in one battle.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • If its definitely a losing battle then I would take the chance to go away and train more so I can beat them. But in the games I also have won against the odds with my last pokemon.

Years
  • Depends on the situation. Pushing your pokémon to their limits is really important and you should trust your pokémon, if they want to continue the fight. But the downside is that there's a small chance that your pokémon gets seriously injured and you shouldn't risk it. It depends on whether the trainer takes the risk or not. I would do it, because you should trust your pokémon.

Years
  • At this point I feel like I'd know my Pokemon well enough to decide whether it could continue, which is something I wouldn't know well enough at say, the first gym. Honestly, if the gym leader was down to his/her last Pokemon too, I probably would let my Pokemon carry on fighting , cause there's always a chance, otherwise, I'd just back down.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • If its a pokemon I'm relatively new with or dont know as well, I would forfeit. If its a trusted member of my team and I've spent a lot of time with it, I would let it fight if I knew it could persevere.

Eresse

Gladion Trash
    Years
  • In the games, I would have pushed it. That's how I won my very first gym battle against Brock!

But if it were a living, breathing Pokémon? I wouldn't have the heart to go through with it. I'd forfeit, train some more, and come back even stronger.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Which Gym Leader are we facing here? If it's Drayden or Clair I might consider honouring their request, recharging and battling another day.

If it's one of the easier last Leaders like Volkner I carry on and wonder to myself how I managed to have such a tough battle against a weak opponent.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2024
    I know that my Pokémon can take it so I guess only if it forces me then I would continue battling but would stop the battle if it got highly damaged.

Back