• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PCL] Event Suggestions and Feedback

Anti

return of the king
Years
Event Suggestions and Feedback

Hi all,

Welcome to the Event Suggestions and Feedback thread. This thread has two very simple purposes:

1.) Post suggestions for future events that you'd like to see us host. This can be either a standard event that you just want to see pop up or an event of your own creation. We especially encourage your own ideas, and if necessary, we can help you develop them!

2.) Post feedback of current or completed events, whether positive or negative. We want to stick with popular formats and upgrade or phase out the others, so please be honest! Also, feel free to comment on the hosting if you feel so inclined.

One quick note: if you see another post that you agree with, please give it a Like so we can gauge how commonly held an opinion is!

Thanks everyone. Happy posting.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I'd like some more themed teambuilding competitions. Also some tournaments with special limitations, ie not using certain abilities, moves or items or pokemon with stats above a certain point.

Years
I wouldn't mind seeing an event where you have to compete in a tournament with a team someone else built. You could take two routes there either making serious teams or deliberately having everyone make terrible teams for each other.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
How about an event that is a little bit more about teamwork? Basic idea is to have a pot that contains Pokemon from different tiers who get distributed to the clans. They then have to create teams, but with only the Pokemon that they got. Since it is known which clan got which Pokemon, creating teams comes down to counterbuilding and when that's done every week another player of the clan takes on a player from all other clans. The clan who gets the most victories in battle is the winner and in case of ties, there's going to be tie breaker matches (potentially in a turnament style).

Instead of having to counter almost an entire meta, people could just focus on the threats that the opponent has and since you can't just blindly copy sets from Smogon's strategy dex, main focus in teambuilding is going to be making custom sets, which is where the teamwork part comes into play.

Kind of like the UCL, just with clans instead of single participants.

Sirfetch’d

I'd like some more themed teambuilding competitions. Also some tournaments with special limitations, ie not using certain abilities, moves or items or pokemon with stats above a certain point.

How about an event that is a little bit more about teamwork? Basic idea is to have a pot that contains Pokemon from different tiers who get distributed to the clans. They then have to create teams, but with only the Pokemon that they got. Since it is known which clan got which Pokemon, creating teams comes down to counterbuilding and when that's done every week another player of the clan takes on a player from all other clans. The clan who gets the most victories in battle is the winner and in case of ties, there's going to be tie breaker matches (potentially in a turnament style).

Instead of having to counter almost an entire meta, people could just focus on the threats that the opponent has and since you can't just blindly copy sets from Smogon's strategy dex, main focus in teambuilding is going to be making custom sets, which is where the teamwork part comes into play.

Kind of like the UCL, just with clans instead of single participants.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! As for now, we do have a new event up which might interest you two in particular. It is the Team-Building Competition. I think it's a great way to kick more clan oriented events off :)

Anti

return of the king
Years
I suggest holding an event.

But seriously, can we just put PCL out of its misery and archive this bad boy? It seems pretty unlikely that PCL will ever return despite unintentional performance art lightly suggesting anything else. If this section had a living, breathing moderator to push it forward, maybe it would be possible, but my periodic serving lurking suggests that the userbase might not even be there. (It might be plausible to rebuild it by starting smaller and working up if anyone has the willpower and patience to try. I am not familiar enough with the current community state to really comment.) This has been an embarrassing failure on several fronts.

It has been nine months since the conclusion of PCL2 (and eleven since it began). The last post in this forum was made exactly five months ago. At some point, PCL does not exist anymore. Either do your jobs and run it or remove the subforum.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I was declining to respond to you, Anti, because I felt it was going to lead to yet another one of our exhausting arguments... However, you don't deserve to be ignored like that. I'll provide some clarity on the situation. Since my last post in PCL, I went on an absence from PC for personal reasons, and should have extended my DLoA to take that into account. I've recently returned, feeling very refreshed and motivated (otherwise I'd have left).

The state of PC's battling community is very poor right now, which I'll take the blame for, but there are some silver linings. I figured out how to set up the battle server client, which will be coming once I have time to redesign it, implement incentives for it, etc. I spent most of my spring break updating our severely outdated battle server, so I can move onto working with the client.

While the battle server is inactive, Community Day was a success, and it showed me that the community is still capable when we concentrate our activity. I can name about 12-13 regulars who would probably be interested in PCL (mostly returning participants). PCL3 was delayed because teams of 3 seemed too small, but I now think it's a good enough foundation. Aurora, Chase, and I agreed to do away with the PCL sub-forum and offseason in favor of hosting a championship w/ a 1-month break and non-PCL events in-between. It'll make PCL more manageable to maintain, direct attention to BTB events (as all PCL offseason events could've been in BTB), and allow for flexible rosters to be drafted each season. This will mean removing the sub-forum and making a thread category for PCL (most BTB categories are going to removed).

Aurora and I have a BTB revamp planned, which is next on my priorities alongside PCL now that the battle server updates are done. Although I'm swamped with assignments and have an upcoming exam, I'll try my best to make time for it. For the record, I'm always willing to let someone else give a shot at hosting PCL; I've (wrongly?) assumed that only Chase and I were up for it because of the disinterest displayed in staff threads.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I was declining to respond to you, Anti, because I felt it was going to lead to yet another one of our exhausting arguments... However, you don't deserve to be ignored like that. I'll provide some clarity on the situation. Since my last post in PCL, I went on an absence from PC for personal reasons, and should have extended my DLoA to take that into account. I've recently returned, feeling very refreshed and motivated (otherwise I'd have left).

The state of PC's battling community is very poor right now, which I'll take the blame for, but there are some silver linings. I figured out how to set up the battle server client, which will be coming once I have time to redesign it, implement incentives for it, etc. I spent most of my spring break updating our severely outdated battle server, so I can move onto working with the client.

While the battle server is inactive, Community Day was a success, and it showed me that the community is still capable when we concentrate our activity. I can name about 12-13 regulars who would probably be interested in PCL (mostly returning participants). PCL3 was delayed because teams of 3 seemed too small, but I now think it's a good enough foundation. Aurora, Chase, and I agreed to do away with the PCL sub-forum and offseason in favor of hosting a championship w/ a 1-month break and non-PCL events in-between. It'll make PCL more manageable to maintain, direct attention to BTB events (as all PCL offseason events could've been in BTB), and allow for flexible rosters to be drafted each season. This will mean removing the sub-forum and making a thread category for PCL (most BTB categories are going to removed).

Aurora and I have a BTB revamp planned, which is next on my priorities alongside PCL now that the battle server updates are done. Although I'm swamped with assignments and have an upcoming exam, I'll try my best to make time for it. For the record, I'm always willing to let someone else give a shot at hosting PCL; I've (wrongly?) assumed that only Chase and I were up for it because of the disinterest displayed in staff threads.

This all sounds great.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Also, relevant.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
For the record, I'm always willing to let someone else give a shot at hosting PCL; I've (wrongly?) assumed that only Chase and I were up for it because of the disinterest displayed in staff threads.

FYI, gimmepie and myself were actually discussing this a few minutes ago after a bit of discussion on Discord, and the two of us would be willing to assist or run PCL. I think a bit of the issue was lack of publicity, and maybe having Daily Staff on board would help that a little? We both generally know our stuff, so it's not like we're totally unqualified. Just wanted to throw this out there. I'll tag Anti here too.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
FYI, gimmepie and myself were actually discussing this a few minutes ago after a bit of discussion on Discord, and the two of us would be willing to assist or run PCL. I think a bit of the issue was lack of publicity, and maybe having Daily Staff on board would help that a little? We both generally know our stuff, so it's not like we're totally unqualified. Just wanted to throw this out there. I'll tag Anti here too.
I really appreciate the offer. Recently I'm more motivated to host PCL, so I'd like to try my hand at it again. I'll pass it on to you guys if I start to lag.

Also, we really need Daily writers for analyzing PCL battles, so it'd be a big help if you guys did that. This is relevant. I intend to post an OU double-elimination tournament this weekend as a way to gather PCL signups, gauge interest and reliability of participants, etc. You guys could use that as a chance to establish what article format works before PCL really begins. I'm always willing to provide feedback.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I really appreciate the offer. Recently I'm more motivated to host PCL, so I'd like to try my hand at it again. I'll pass it on to you guys if I start to lag.

Also, we really need Daily writers for analyzing PCL battles, so it'd be a big help if you guys did that. This is relevant. I intend to post an OU double-elimination tournament this weekend as a way to gather PCL signups, gauge interest and reliability of participants, etc. You guys could use that as a chance to establish what article format works before PCL really begins. I'm always willing to provide feedback.

As you wish. If you have the thread ready beforehand, could you send it to me? I'll write up an advertizement article in advance and post it as soon as I see your tourney.

Back