• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime series that got better over time

Years
  • Which are some anime series (you've watched) that started slow and had some rather boring first few episodes, or even a boring first season, but got better over the seasons? :confused:

Years
  • jojo comes to mind. honestly, joseph saved the early parts of jojo for me. it was uphill from there :)

Decibel575

#TEAMSOBBLE
    Years
  • Black Clover definitely fits this list. You just need to get through episode 14 and it is an uphill ride from there. It is an amazing show. MHA is the opposite though, it got worse.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • Yeah I was going to say most got worse as time went on.

I think Noragami was one that got better as time went on. Sure it got a bit cliche at points but the character development definitely made the series a lot better in the long run.

Years
  • I honestly can't think of any just skimming through my list that actually got substantially better - as in, 2 or more points higher of a score - over its course. Most stuff starts out strong trying to catch you in and falters afterward.

Actually, wait, I think Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou fits the bill. Though that might just be me getting more used to its style.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yo, Steins;Gate definitely got better after the first 10 eps or more. It was very slice-of-lify at the start and then suddenly BOOM action and suspense!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Yo, Steins;Gate definitely got better after the first 10 eps or more. It was very slice-of-lify at the start and then suddenly BOOM action and suspense!

I feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to loving the first half of Steins;Gate

Anyways, for me it'd be FMA Brotherhood and Mob Psycho. Ironically, both of those are my favorite anime. Brotherhood's start rushed over important stuff at a pace that the rest of the show thankfully does not follow, purely because a lot of it was recap of the original series.

Mob Psycho was weird and off-putting to me at first. The characters seemed strange, the art style reminded me of something I'd see on Adult Swim in not a good way, and I didn't really know where the show was going. Meanwhile by episodes 4&5 I became so hooked and in love with every single thing about the show, even the things I previously didn't like.

Also honorable mention to Naruto. The start of the show was unbelievably cheesy and cringy. I mean, it didn't ever stop being cheesy and cringy, but it certainly redeems itself by excelling in so many other areas

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • For real though, JoJo. It develops from a generic shonen (that's only 26 episodes hallelujah) to something with its own style.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Clannad. Initially I found it to be a tad odd and some of the characters I found to be portrayed quite strangely. The plot didn't make sense up to me until mid-way through the series.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I'm surprised nobody brought up One Piece.
    I mean, I'm not caught up with it but it did really improve from the beginning arcs.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I thought Iron Blooded Orphans got better as it went on! Also agree about One Piece, Oda's work has definitely improved as the story progressed.

Years
  • I'm surprised nobody brought up One Piece.
    I mean, I'm not caught up with it but it did really improve from the beginning arcs.

I thought Iron Blooded Orphans got better as it went on! Also agree about One Piece, Oda's work has definitely improved as the story progressed.

That's odd. Mind you that I'm not quite through the Doflamingo arc yet, but I largely have felt that One Piece was better before the time skip. It's interesting that our opinions here differ so drastically.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • That's odd. Mind you that I'm not quite through the Doflamingo arc yet, but I largely have felt that One Piece was better before the time skip. It's interesting that our opinions here differ so drastically.

I mean, I prefer pre-timeskip as well, but I still think that OP got better as time went on.
    Like Romance Dawn VS. Impel Down.
    Also I'm still on Punk Hazard so I'm further behind lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Really? I felt like the characters got so much more complex as the story went on. Different strokes, I suppose. ヽ( ´¬`)ノ

Same with One Piece. Kuro and Syrup Island, and much of early One Piece I found to be poorly paced and not terribly engaging. Glad I stuck it out though!

Back