• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Event: Made in Galar: Shroomish and Breloom forms and evolutions!

Which Pokémon line should we Galar-fy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Article is up! Check out the cool designs in it, and share your thoughts here!

---------------

Let's try a collaborative event, bringing together the battlers, artists, writers and to-be SwSh players! With the reveal of Galarian Zigzagoon, Linoone, and their new evolution Obstagoon, Galarian Weezing, and a Galar-region evolution for Farfetch'd in Sirfetch'd, let's try to make our own forms.

How it works

Each time we try this, we'll do a theme to pick a Pokémon to choose from - for instance, the first one will be mushroom Pokémon. For the first few days we'll run a poll on which Pokémon line we will Galar-fy. The most popular will get selected.

Following that, we'll have calls for the following:
    • Art! We need designs. People are free to submit both new forms for existing Pokemon - one or all of the species line (so e.g. something like Galarian Zigzagoon, etc.), or new evolutions (e.g. like Sirfetch'd).
    • Writing! New dex entries and additional lore about the new forms/evolutions. If you want to even write up a story, go for it!
    • Stats, Moves and Abilities! Any change to a stateline, or the possible stats for a hypothetical Galarian evolution, need to be made up. New Abilities and even a new Move fitting the Pokemon (see: Obstruct and Meteor Assault) can be made up.

At the end, all of your efforts will be showcased in a Daily article. For examples, check out previous versions of this event, for example the Make a Mega series, and Alolan Mix-Up series. THis time around though we'll try to have some more background on the Pokemon rather than have it be focused as much on battling.

This Edition's Poll

We're starting with Mushroom themed Pokémon. Vote for the one you'd like to see get featured with a new form/evolution/both in Galar! Pokémon need not actually make it into the region in the official games to be eligable. Voting will end in a week.

After we decide on a Pokémon line, we can work on the rest in here. Shroomish/Breloom wins! Threads in the art/writing/battling sections will also be made linking back to this one.

If you have any questions or suggestions, do share! But for now share your propaganda for your favourite choice. :V

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Went for Breloom,though i had a tussle between Amoongus and Breloom. Breloom deserves a bit of treatment to reawaken,imo.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    mushroomized skitty
    Went with Breloom as well since it's my favorite mushroom pokemon, the second choice being Shiinotic but since it's a latest gen pokemon idk if it would be able to get a Galar form

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I see the Breloom line is winning the votes thus far, which I'm not personally surprised about. Will there be a push on the other lines?

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I love Breloom, and that's why I didn't vote for it.
    Breloom's design is already good, why change it when we can improve a different mon?

Years
  • I saw the results before voting myself and had an awesome idea for the Galar form, so the Breloom line gets my vote too.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I might close the poll early given the current trend (that is, one option with more votes than the others combined!). Last chance to help Pokemon not called Shroomish/Breloom!

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    Y'know what? Only borderline related, but I just want to say that the mushroom aspect of all these Pokemon is severely under-utilized.

Like, their designs are fine. Visually, it's obvious that they're based on mushrooms.

But there is only one single mushroom-related move to be found in the games and that's Spore.
    And the only other thing that could be considered fungal is the ability Effect Spore.

My poor mushroom brothers and sisters deserve better! We want toadstool strikes! We want mycelium beams! We want mushroom cap shields!

Anyways, rant over. Continue with the vote.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The poll is closed!

Open discussion/planning/work on Galarian forms and/or evolution for the Shroomish line begins. Go nuts with ideas!

Years
  • I'm curious by the idea of a more orange/red Galarian form. Maybe the orange peel fungus or scarlet hood as a basis?

orange-peel-fungus-400x299.jpg

waxcap-4-w800h600.jpg

Years
  • I have two ideas for it.

Idea 1: Breloom the Grass/Fire Type Mushroom Cook (Shroomish stays the same, no new evolution)

Consider the tinder fungus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomes_fomentarius). This is what it looks like (it is also called the hoof fungus):

1024px-Fomes_fomentarius_2010_G2.jpg

It has been used for starting fires since ancient times (when dried, it catches sparks very well and smolders, so it can be put among twigs and such). We could base Galarian Breloom on this fungus with a cook motif to get a very original Grass/Fire type.

I don't have the drawings I made with me, I'll post them by the weekend, but I basically imagined it with a chef's hat, front neck frills extending into a Shroomish-spotted apron and a single claw instead of two on each limb, becoming cooking knives on the hands and hooves on the feet, with tinder fungus-like radiating circular patterns.

The main picture here is Breloom striking its claws one against the other to make blasts of fire.

Years
  • Idea 2: Poison/Psychic Type Crazy Mushrooms (the whole line gets new forms, possibly a third stage)

I don't know if there is any equivalent phrase in English, but in my language, the saying "he's been eating crazy mushrooms", meaning he is acting nuts, is very well known.

Consider the most iconic and well-know poisonous mushroom in the world, the fly agaric (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria):

1200px-2006-10-25_Amanita_muscaria_crop.jpg

The fly agaric, aside from being potentially deadly, contains hallucinogenic compounds. I propose we base the Galarian Shroomish line on this fungus, with a motif of hallucination, looniness and, indeed, hippies.

Let Shroomish be red with white spots and swirly eyes and let Breloom have spore-filled beads hanging from the brim of its hippie hat. A third stage could be possible here, maybe a hippie voodoo wizard with mind controlling spores.

So, which of the two sounds better?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I also had a gunslinging cowboy Breloom in mind, but that didn't get anywhere and wasn't fungal enough.

Anyway, here is an idea-illustrating draft of the crazy mushroom idea for Shroomish:

shroomish luda gljiva.png
    I can't draw well on the computer, so it's very rough. Once I get access to a scanner, there will be actual drawings.

EDIT: Instead of slumping forward to indicate laxness and unkeptness, the three-piece crest could become a four-petaled flower of some exotic colour, to accentuate the hippie theme.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I also had a gunslinging cowboy Breloom in mind, but that didn't get anywhere and wasn't fungal enough.

Anyway, here is an idea-illustrating draft of the crazy mushroom idea for Shroomish:

View attachment 89196
    I can't draw well on the computer, so it's very rough. Once I get access to a scanner, there will be actual drawings.

EDIT: Instead of slumping forward to indicate laxness and unkeptness, the three-piece crest could become a four-petaled flower of some exotic colour, to accentuate the hippie theme.

I love this idea, and the fly agaric mushroom was something I wanted to suggest too. In the end I decided not to since Paras/Parasest already have a shroom with red/white coloring. Your design is really cool though, and I'm itching to see more if you are still interested in providing! (loves seeing fanmade Pokémon designs)

Years
  • I am now home with a scanner on hand and will post more drawings of my ideas, as soon as I make them presentable. I'm glad you like them so far.

EDIT: Deleted double post further up.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The scanner didn't quite work, so I'll take pictures by phone.

Here we have a fly agaric-based "Crazy Mushroom" Shroomish next to a regular one for comparison:

shroomish both.jpg

(Pencil and coloured pencil on paper.)

It was supposed to have three colours as noted, the additional one being light blue, but I decided it looked better without it. The spots will glow blue in random order and configuration when using psychic power instead.

Also, the frilly opening at the top of its head is momentarily absent. An option is that it returns, shaped like a droopy white flower, but I'm undecided about that.

To sum up this design:

Upper body colour red, lower body colour white, black lines, blue glow for white spots. Swirly eyes for an unstable, confused look (just like the posture, caught mid-step), eyebrows raised to same effect. Slightly denser, rounder frills. Smaller and more numerous white spots compared to the original, also red spots present on the underside. Wavy frilly pattern on feet for added detail and to resemble hippie pants in later stages. No cavity at the top of the head, a white spot instead. Spores expelled from under the dress-like hood instead.

Last edited:
    Back