• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Thoughts on the fossil pokemon & future of?

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    First off I hate them, but I think they have potential. Assuming we get Sinnoh remakes next gen do you think we could find fossil fragments in the underground? Also, just like real life do you think we might see some dlc with new fossil halves found in the galar region later down the line???

pkmin3033

Great idea, absolutely terrible execution, because the designs are DREADFUL. Seriously, there aren't many Pokemon I would say have worse designs than the new fossil Pokemon. Which is a real shame.

If we get Sinnoh remakes I do not expect to see this, because they'll probably be like ORAS - bare minimum experiences that are faithful to the originals in every way other than visually. I don't expect to see Game Freak reuse this in future generations either, because they're generally of the opinion that all ideas have to be one-gen gimmicks.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I can only echo Dawn's sentiments because I feel exactly the same way about these fossilmon.

It's even more of a shame because I think the little electric guy at least could have been a cool pokemon if it was completed on it's own. Maybe some of the others too.

They definitely would have been better than what we got.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I kinda agree. The idea is great and fresh for the fossil Pokemon concept. What doesn't really work is how they look. The Pokemon are just... literal halves smushed together. Why not have something that has general attributes mixed together, but looks like its own creature otherwise, not some unnatural looking chimera that might fit in the Earthbound/Mother series.

Years
  • Yeah I agree unfortunately. ): Not the biggest fan of their designs and they're probably my least favorite fossils to date. idk, maybe I'll adjust once I see them in motion when playing, but even then I know I likely won't care for them too much.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Whoever revived them is definitely breaking some form of ethics or Pokémon abuse laws. I like the concept (mismatched fossils based on the mistakes of early palaeontology), but not sure if I like the execution. I wouldn't be surprised if the other halves were included in the next game :p

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    An artist imagines what could have been:
    Thoughts on the fossil pokemon & future of?

Source, apparently.
    It's in Korean I think, so I'm not sure.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I was kinda hoping they were a joke they I first saw them, they just smashed two halves together without even trying to make it work. The Pokemon look like they're in pain and just got out of an evil teams lab.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    I'll wait until we see their official art and animations but right now I'm not a huge fan of them design wise. Idea wise, I think the idea of combining fossils is pretty cool and opens up a lot of potential for the future.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2020
    The fossils annoy me so much. I don't mind the idea or execution it's just the designs are very very annoying. Dracozolt pisses me off so much

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Dracovish inspires concern, fear, and pity within me all at once.

It did not want to live, yet was brought to life by the whims of some cruel humans. It's forced to live its life as a head stuck to a tail, while a clean-cut back half remains. And for what? How does it eat? How does it breathe? How does it live? Why does it live?

I could say that for the other three fossil Pokémon, but Dracovish concerns me the most.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    I can appreciate the idea behind the fossils (humans messing with the natural order and creating abominations) but honestly their designs are really off-putting to me. If they had leaned into the horror angle more I'd probably like them better, but as it is they just look dumb.

Years
  • Once I heared, I had to see them, and I actually love them (not a popular opinion on this thread, apparently).

Once I understood what the mismatched abominations represented, I almost died of laughter. They are ridiculous and in that I find them endearing. I'm definitely getting a Dracovish.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't like these fossils. I don't hate them as much as I did, as half of them are Ice type, which is my favorite type, but I think they made this terrible. Perhaps in the next version of the game, we will get other fossils fragments to create their true form.

As we go on, I don't think they will continue this into other generations, I think it is just something for this region. However, if they continue on, perhaps they will make them better or at least make the bodies work with each other instead of this randomness that doesn't even have the full bodies. I also hate the idea that they don't have evolutions, which is a dumb concept. Especially since most dino are drastically different from when they are born to when they grow.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Mostly bumping this because of the interesting discussion but is it bad that I want to use these gen8 fossils because of how weird they look?

Back