• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Pokemon 2019 (sub)

StaticShock

Chaos Current
Years
  • Watched episode 5. Scorbunny is so adorable! 😆 I love his interactions with Go! They'll make such a fun team lol.

Years
  • All things considered this season in general just seems to be EXTREMELY well done, with great writing (using Gou's more analytical mindset with Ash's more emotional/instinctive one to make them a well-rounded team that are also just plain adorable) paired with great music.

I'm especially in love with the soundtrack—it came as a huge surprise that Yuki Hayashi is now the composer! I discovered his music recently from a completely unrelated anime series, and I'm quite a fan of his music style! I'm going to miss Shinji Miyazaki, but now that he's gone, I hope that means they'll finally release a collection of all his Pokémon music from Best Wishes, XY, and Sun & Moon. It'd be unforgivable if all that wonderful music got left unreleased for good... ;__;

Me too! It's got a good mix between the older seasons of Pokemon's style of background music and the newer style with more instruments giving it a more varied sound, and the theme used when Ash and Gou were flying with Lugia is a new favorite of mine! I'm with you on hoping BW, XY, and S&M soundtracks will become available, the arrangements in them are wonderful.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Me too! It's got a good mix between the older seasons of Pokemon's style of background music and the newer style with more instruments giving it a more varied sound, and the theme used when Ash and Gou were flying with Lugia is a new favorite of mine! I'm with you on hoping BW, XY, and S&M soundtracks will become available, the arrangements in them are wonderful.

Ooooh, what a coincidence!! That theme you mentioned during the Lugia scene was the one that stood out to me the most so far, as well. ^-^ And haha, let's keep our fingers tightly crossed for those soundtracks to get released! 🤞 The sooner they're here, the sooner we can also have the new series' soundtrack too, right...? One can dream, at least!

As for the newer episodes, I seriously need to catch up! I can't believe I'm three episodes behind already! ;__;

Kazetori

Vaporeon Trainer
    Years
  • I love it so far!! Honestly was a littttttttle disappointed at the first episode, only because it was very cute, but not very exciting... They had a big celebration in Tokyo where they played the first episode in front of the Tokyo Skytree, and lit it up in Pikachu colors and everything, so I was hoping for a more exciting first episode. I wish they did episode 2 as episode 1! Episode 2 was so amazing, and absolutely beautifulllll!!! I feel like that would have had a bigger impact on people than the first episode. Even though Pichu is adorable lol

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • Not gonna lie today's episode did not do it for me. A whole episode of just throwing pokeballs and catching pokemon was just not my cup of tea. Kind of boring. It was cool to see how excited Go was about catching. Though that stupid voice calling out "nice", "great" and "excellent" was just borderline annoying. Didn't even feel like I was watching as how anymore.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • From what I read on twitter, a lot of people are disappointed in how they handled it. I haven't watched the anime and this episode has me even more skeptical of the entire saga. However, I'd like to point out that they were bug types and they are easily caught. I will say Parasect, Beedrill, Venomoth, and Pinsir shouldn't have been caught so easily.

So.... let's hope they don't do this again. If they are going to continue to do this though, then Ash needs to catch pokemon.

Years
  • Ooooh, what a coincidence!! That theme you mentioned during the Lugia scene was the one that stood out to me the most so far, as well. ^-^ And haha, let's keep our fingers tightly crossed for those soundtracks to get released! 🤞 The sooner they're here, the sooner we can also have the new series' soundtrack too, right...? One can dream, at least!

As for the newer episodes, I seriously need to catch up! I can't believe I'm three episodes behind already! ;__;

It is a rather intense and attention-grabbing theme!

And I hope you catch up soon, the newer episodes really give Ash and Gou a more well-rounded feel as characters, I think you'll find them more than worth watching!

Years
  • From what I read on twitter, a lot of people are disappointed in how they handled it. I haven't watched the anime and this episode has me even more skeptical of the entire saga. However, I'd like to point out that they were bug types and they are easily caught. I will say Parasect, Beedrill, Venomoth, and Pinsir shouldn't have been caught so easily.

So.... let's hope they don't do this again. If they are going to continue to do this though, then Ash needs to catch pokemon.

I can sort of get the sentiment, that was a lot of catches (more than prior companions, especially all at once) and minimal interaction--I feel like both XY and S&M spoiled us a little in giving actual characterization even for one-off wild Pokemon than this did, though I guess they were focused more on Gou's character during the narrative for this episode. I think we expect more of a balance between one of the main characters and their relationship with their Pokemon (this season seems to give Gou a far more equal role to Ash as far as that goes, rather than a side/main like the rest of the traveling companions), so the suddenness of Gou spamming Pokeballs without even interacting with the catches save for the bit at the end stood out more. And you have a point with Parasect and Co, though I do recall earlier seasons making less of a deal out of weakening Pokemon before catching them, especially if they were caught off guard. I think Paul did it with that group of Starly before releasing them. I could be wrong, though!

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • I can sort of get the sentiment, that was a lot of catches (more than prior companions, especially all at once) and minimal interaction--I feel like both XY and S&M spoiled us a little in giving actual characterization even for one-off wild Pokemon than this did, though I guess they were focused more on Gou's character during the narrative for this episode. I think we expect more of a balance between one of the main characters and their relationship with their Pokemon (this season seems to give Gou a far more equal role to Ash as far as that goes, rather than a side/main like the rest of the traveling companions), so the suddenness of Gou spamming Pokeballs without even interacting with the catches save for the bit at the end stood out more. And you have a point with Parasect and Co, though I do recall earlier seasons making less of a deal out of weakening Pokemon before catching them, especially if they were caught off guard. I think Paul did it with that group of Starly before releasing them. I could be wrong, though!

See the thing is I don't have that much of an issue if Gou is the one catching stuff. Though I'm disappointed Ash literally did nothing to help him, I was hoping he would at least be some form of help to him as Brock was to him. They should give Ash a more serious role as a helper or a guide for someone as they embark on their own pokemon journey.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • Thoughts on this weeks episode:
    - Battlefrontier wtf has this been reduced to
    - Go has one thick Taillow
    - Hoji basically treated Go the way everyone treats NPCs in the games
    - Episode moved way too fast, everything just felt completely rushed

I don't know if it's just me but these battles are pretty boring...

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • You know Sun and Moon I could watch, and still relatively enjoy. My god. The 2019 Pokemon anime has been so boooooooring. I just don't care what happens. Cool side story, but we're getting filler before we even got any actual mainline stuff.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I just saw the episode about Koharu not knowing what to do in the future and the message from Koharu's mother—who dreamt of being a manga artist, worked hard, but still failed, even considering giving up on art until her future husband encouraged her to stick to it because it makes her happy... even if she needed to find a new path, really made an impact. Couldn't have come at a better time!!

It's nice the anime still conveys the old message that it's okay to fail (even now that Ash succeeded at a league!) through other characters (it works just as well!) and now, even that sometimes, you have to change your goals, but don't give up on what brings you happiness.

Also, that Renji guy's love for his Coil/Magnemite killed me. Françoise-chan!!!

I really love the art in this series. I prefer the art style of BW! and XY for faces (the former more for sheer expressiveness over the stiffness, without being too zany or gross-out), but 2019 has very good proportions and it's pleasant to watch.

I'll try and see more episodes and catch up!!

Happy they found the same seiyuu for Wataru/Lance (I guess it's just Daigo/Steven whose AG appearance was just so poorly received, they recasted him and ignored that old story...).

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • Well, in sun & moon, they changed the animator and I don't really like his/her style, so I stopped watching and plus, where I am, the only way to get pokemon episodes is Netflix + Pokemon.com (which has really gone downhill since they removed the minigames😅). And Netflix only has up to S/M season 2.

QuietDragon

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    Well, in sun & moon, they changed the animator and I don't really like his/her style, so I stopped watching and plus, where I am, the only way to get pokemon episodes is Netflix + Pokemon.com (which has really gone downhill since they removed the minigames😅). And Netflix only has up to S/M season 2.

No, they change animation styles, but there are many different animators and many head animators, like Masaaki Iwane, have been around since the original series! The character designs are a stylistic choice.

But yeah, the new Pocket Monsters series has another art style with much more balanced proportions in terms of body and the faces look more balanced too (although Ash's eyes were unusually small compared to the rest of his face/far apart in SuMo style, they're now very wide! Some don't like this, but it's by no means the same art style).

This thread is for discussing PM 2019, not Sun & Moon!

(It seems a lot of official sites take down their old games, a pity....)

Years
  • Caught up with the last 2 episodes I missed!

this series is soo good. Ash and Go are adorable, and I love all their adventures across different places/regions. Really thought dynamax would be silly in the anime but it's by far my favorite of all the special transformations we've had so far - the battles become infinitely more tense!

Spoiler:

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I watched the newest episode of the Pocket Monsters series last night.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

QuietDragon

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I'm still catching up, but had to skip ahead for the episode that took place in Isshu/Unova (it's my favourite region! ;3;).

Episode 3
    I watched the Fushigisou/Ivysaur episode!! It reminds me of Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden... but the part about them climbing up this construction site because it was built over their old field, and seeing ongoing construction, also reminded me of the world Satoshi Tajiri was trying to preserve making the games...
    Tajiri preserved the world of his childhood in Pokémon. In the late '70s, the rice fields gave way to shopping centers, and the ponds were paved over to make way for apartment buildings, highways and train lines. "A fish pond would become an arcade center," he says. Pokémon, he says, is a way for children of a new generation to have a chance to collect insects and other creatures the way he did. For example, the Pokémon named Poliwhirl has a belly decorated with a little whirl--Tajiri's memory of the transparent skin of a tadpole with its coiled innards visible beneath. "Everything I did as a kid is kind of rolled into one thing," says Tajiri. "Pokémon."
    http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/time.html

Definitely liked Gou's stance on not wanting to steal away the Pokemon's ability to live by their own strength--when dealing with wild animals in our world (although Pokemon are creatures close to humans or even exceeding them in intelligence), we should interfere as little as possible (rescue and aid the injured, of course, but for very minor injuries or sicknesses or even finding their food, they should be left alone... human interference does more harm than good, and losing their natural fear of humans puts them more at risk!). It was nice seeing Satoshi and Gou disagree on things, it was also very telling that Gou isn't used to conflict in friendships... he was scared he lost Satoshi and asked to be friends again!

Episode 14!

It was very Black Hero's Ruins. I loved the sight gags (they were very reminiscent of Kanto/OS), the chibi were cute and funny too, and the animation and art was quite stylish, which made the battle more flashy and dramatic even though I'm not personally a fan of Pokemon battles...

Spoiler:

Anyway, everything from the friendship stories, the visual humour (funny, toony, but not gross-out or obnoxiously overdone), environmental themes, great animation, and endearing characters! Being able to travel around also brought back the sense of adventure, this is definitely a Pokemon series I can enjoy. ;3;

Back