• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gold hack: Pokémon Gold Unova

ericgall23

Quiet Pokémon fan
Years
  • Hello everyone!

This is a hack of Pokémon Gold. It is final!

This game is set in the Unova region! However, it's not the same adventure as in Black/White/White2 or Black2. You'll have a brand new adventure filled with suprises and challenges!

Many changes were made, but notably:

• The region is Unova, like you should have guessed. The names of the map are abreviated in some places.
    • Attacks are up to date with Generation 7 positives changes, as well as TM compatibilities.
    • Some new TMs are included!
    • Trainers are stronger, and a lot of them have at least 3 Pokémon now! It will be a great challenge! 😉 There also more trainers as well!
    • Movesets have been updated! (425 new moves have been added among the 251 Pokémon, with some adjustments for some!
    • New rematch areas.
    • Some Item traders, as well as 16 In-game Pokémon trades.
    • Even more changes (Detailed in each sections of the site!)

Here's the website of this game:

https://pokemongoldunova.tech.blog/

To download the file (IPS file) to patch, it is joined in this post, and is available on the website. You have to patch it to an original Pokémon Gold English ROM bu using Lunar IPS.

There also some docs joined in this post. Thet give details such as the walkthrough, Pokémon locations, TMs and more! You can also find these informations on the website as well.

Here are some pictures:

pokemon-gold-unova-alder-house.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_twist-mountain-entry.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_route-23.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_new-accumula-gym.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_map-1.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_helping-fennel-2.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_cilan-and-bros-teachers.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_desert-resort.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_meeting-rival-route-4.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_pinwheel-forest.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_route-1.png
    pokemon-gold-unova_shiny-dragonite.png

Enjoy this great game! 😉

ericgall23

Attachments

• Pokemon Gold Unova.ips
      313 KB · Views: 134
    • Pokemon-Gold-Unova-docs.zip
      617.8 KB · Views: 76
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I've had a Unova demake-ish game in development for a year or so now (Untitled Unova Game), using Crystal as a base. Interested to see how yours turns out!

Years
    • Seen today
    Is there anything in this ROM hack that still needs to be worked on? If not, then why is this in the Progressing Hacks section?

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Ayee! This looks pretty nice from the screenshots that I've seen. Although I do have a question, will Unova Pokémon be present in this hack? And another as well, why the Gold Base over Crystal? Especially since most of the hacks right now utilise the disassembly method which offers more flexibility.

ericgall23

Quiet Pokémon fan
    Years
  • Is there anything in this ROM hack that still needs to be worked on? If not, then why is this in the Progressing Hacks section?

Hi there! This hack is finished! It's even on Zophar.net as well!

When I posted it in the right topic (Rom Hacks Studio), the moderator decided to put it here in this topic, and I truly don't know why, coz it is finished and final!

This decision is not under my control... Sorry!

I hope you'll enjoy it! ;)

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi there! This hack is finished! It's even on Zophar.net as well!

When I posted it in the right topic (Rom Hacks Studio), the moderator decided to put it here in this topic, and I truly don't know why, coz it is finished and final!

This decision is not under my control... Sorry!

I hope you'll enjoy it! ;)
    In that case, how about contacting the moderator about this?

Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Great rom, easy to follow and quite fun, playing pokemon in a new way, there's just one small problem yall telling me that I spent half a day getting and organizing all the pokemon just to find a hole where Unown should be :( (not even by trade).

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    just got through regular black so this looks like fun. i went through the blog you have and i'm guessing there's no way to break the 251 limit so it'll just be kanto and johto mons?

either way, i'm gonna try it out

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Just finished this hack. Usually I don't use Legendaries in a hack, but when the starters are the Legendary Beasts, I had to break that rule. It's also unshameful to do that when trainers in this hack are not opposed to using Legendaries. Also, Entei's not as good as Raikou, who is one of the best Pokemon in the Gen 2 meta. If the Physical/Special split existed with Flare Blitz or Sacred Fire on Entei, then it would be a different story. Most of the time, Entei was the least-used Pokemon, it was the lowest level of the Pokemon in my team. So my squad: Snorlax, Entei, Shiny Espeon, Mantine, Shiny Dragonite, and Heracross. Snorlax is arguably the best Pokemon in the Gen 2 meta, and with the level curve being significantly past my team levels (70s-80s at the end of this playthrough), Snorlax made up for this with Curse and Rest. Espeon was the highest-leveled Pokemon of the team, for a good reason. With Hypnosis and Psychic's sheer awesomeness from Gen 1-3, Espeon was a major MVP. Heracross joined because it was amazing in my Crystal Kaizo playthrough and I wanted a repeat success. I got some of it. I think if I gave it the Quick Claw, it would've been a higher-level MVP, but it still did well. Dragonite, because it's Dragonite! Great Special Attacker, amazing Physical Attacker. I only had Fly as a Physical Attack for Dragonite, more would've helped, but the coverage of BoltBeam and STAB Outrage was too good to pass up. Mantine was a traded Pokemon, and it was a very early encounter, so I kept it for sentimental value, similar to starter Entei. It did very well though, especially when Confuse Ray did very well and I got it Ice Beam.

I loved the demake of the map. I missed out on Fly until the Pokemon League. I was angry at the lack of Fly, but that was my fault for not getting it sooner. The level curve fixes the stagnation of the GSC level curve, and I was able to take down trainers who were overleveled. The wild level curve is good too, I could easily replace Mantine with a Starmie late into the game, for example, but again, sentimental value. So while the game is slightly more difficult than GSC, at least there's no handicap to the player, it's not difficult to make a comeback against a strong trainer if you lose. It would've been nice to battle the Unova Gym Leaders, but having the Kanto/Johto ones didn't bother me. Their reasons are pretty generic, but again, not bothered by it.

Segue into the main story. Most of the time, it didn't bother me, it was unobtrusive for the most part. I started to get annoyed when things got shoehorned in the last 3rd or quarter of the game. I guess not to spoil the story, I'll just sum it up with one name, Willius. I don't like his placement, I don't like the end of his story and how it affects the player. It's a bit offensive to the end, which is weird because this hack spent most of the story being inoffensive and just being there, loose. Then the end of the Pokemon League happens, it was confusing and silly to me. At least this kind of storytelling doesn't permeate the entire hack, so it's not a big deal. I noticed a lot of GSC scripts being relocated and re-purposed to this hack. Some are weird, like how Alder checks your Pokedex. The Legendary Beasts are roamers here? I guess, but it's weird when Entralink allows you to catch all the Legendaries except for Celebi, and that's pretty early. Some scripted stuff, namely certain named NPCs walking through solid objects, was weird. I'm pretty sure if the maps were the same as GSC, the scripted walks wouldn't have characters go through solid objects, that's clearly a downside to scripts being relocated and re-purposed from original GSC, finally arriving at that point.

My negatives are forgivable, none of them lingered too long. For the most part, I had a fun playthrough, and since this is the first Gen 2 hack I played since Crystal Kaizo, it's nice to come back to something much smoother. Also, taking what I learned from Crystal Kaizo helped, the brilliance of Heracross, how much of a metagame breaker CurseLax is. Also, after Crystal Kaizo, most hacks feel like total breezes in comparison. I would definitely play it again. It's a nice hack overall.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    literally just finished it and wanted to give some feedback.

overall i enjoyed the hack. the pacing was pretty well done, nothing dragged on too long, some parts were challenging but not frustratingly so.
    started with suicune (crocune is by far my favourite pokemon competitively) and was glad to have surf so early on. getting a shiny umbreon early was good too, just unfortunate that it doesn't have the best movepool. i was able to easily replace it with a tyranitar by the time i got to nimbasa. my team by the end was tyranitar, kingdra, mew and snorlax. suicune and umbreon stayed on way underleveled and for field moves/hms.

i like how all the tms are eventually available in shops which is really good when trying to replace team members. also the ability to buy pp ups and rare candies helped near the end of the game when i didn't want to grind against lv70s to boost my team from 80s>90s. that being said i think the luck egg becomes available too late. considering other held items could be bought at castelia, it would have made sense to be able to buy it there.

the map is interesting, i'm guessing you combined the kanto and johto maps which is why it was confusing at first why fly couldn't take me everywhere i had already been until i got to a different town and it gave me different locations. that being said, the back tracking you do around the castelia portion of the game would have been less troublesome if you had access to fly earlier. and it's a bit weird getting the map card in the latter half of the game.

there are a few issues sevenchurches brought up already regarding npcs walking through walls because scripts were loaded straight from gold and re-purposed here. i also had an issue pop up with event triggers activating again after already triggering them before (the one that is still active for some reason is team rocket at the gate to nuvema town even though the rockets had left, after getting access to fly they reappeared.)

also like sevenchurches said, the story wasn't bad, but willius doesn't make much sense.

the single biggest thing that annoyed me was a trainer in the chargestone cave. the only lucky egg i was able to find in the game was at the start of the chargestone cave. the very first trainer you battle has 3 pokemon who all have the move thief. what i forgot about gen 2 was if thief is used by an npc's pokemon you lose the item forever. i had to reload my save twice because of that (second time was my fault, i should have just left the egg unequipped before battling him).

the game was fun to play and i'll come back to it at some point when i want to play something from gen 2 again.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2023
    I'm loving this hack so far--really compelling and creative--and just wanted to say thanks.*

*Edit: never mind; figured out the issue

Last edited:
    Back