• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [BETA] Pokémon Volt Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition

Boonzeet

Pokémon Secrets of the Ages Developer
Years
lAr8Mi8.png

Pokémon Volt Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition

About

I grew up playing Pokémon Yellow and was disappointed to find there were no complete Yellow-like hacks of Fire Red. So I rolled my own!

Features
  • Starter Pikachu, Rival with Eevee
  • Pikachu has boosted stats to match Gen 8, Oak's aide gives you Light Ball in Fuschia to keep Pikachu viable
  • All Jessie & James Team Rocket battles
  • All 3 Kanto Starters available by events - Charmander after Mt. Moon, Bulbasaur after beating Misty, Squirtle after beating Lt. Surge
  • Physical/Special Split
  • Fairy type
  • Trade evolutions patched
  • Updated movesets for all Pokémon and Gen 4 sprites
  • TMs are reusable *see bugs
  • Gym leader battles adjusted to align with Yellow Edition
  • Gym leader REMATCHES post E4!

Known Bugs
I'm not a rom hacker, I only put this together to play myself - unfortunately introduced a few small bugs along the way.
  • TMs only reusable when replacing a move, they will be consumed if used on a Pokémon with less than 4 moves
  • Some text strings are missing the first letter. I can't figure out what keeps causing this
  • Repels no longer notify you when they expire

I'm sure there will be more so this is a beta release for now.

Screenshots

iyG0UzJ.png
kVi2cys.png
Lm1vo6S.png
q5cCdgv.png
MS2Uu61.png

Download

The IPS patch file is available here.

When prompted, use this code: QsuQf2C6q9vriyVvo3zHV12Db-XgRvGkGBXZMUF-EpU

You'll need to apply this to a clean (U) Fire Red (Squirrels).

Credits
Boonzeet - Art, scripting
MrDollSteaks - Rom base
The DS-Style 64x64 Sprite Project - Battle sprites
The community - All the great tools used to create this, like Unnamed Trainer Editor and AdvanceMap which made this a breeze!

I hope you enjoy this!

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Hey there! This looks really nice! Have you considered adding the Pikachu following you script in your hack? If I recall correctly, there was a hack released not too long ago which solely revolved around that feature. Nonetheless, thank you for releasing this! Do you have any plans for a more difficult mod?

Boonzeet

Years
Hey there! This looks really nice! Have you considered adding the Pikachu following you script in your hack? If I recall correctly, there was a hack released not too long ago which solely revolved around that feature. Nonetheless, thank you for releasing this! Do you have any plans for a more difficult mod?

I explored following Pikachu for a long time but concluded it's relatively impossible, which is a shame. Other hacks which have done this have broken most of the game (I recall one resulting in ledges being unusable).

I don't have plans to make many more changes beyond bug fixes as I only did this to play myself and thought it'd be nice to share - I don't mind other people making edits of this with credit!

Surely there should be "credits" section? Or did you make this hack from scratch?

Thanks for noticing - I'd had them written down and forgot to include them. Beyond the base and tools this hack has been made from scratch, however.

I kind of like this one!I'll add it to my backlog.

Thank you!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Playing it right now, I like it. Also I noticed that you even added Fairy type which is a nice bonus. Did you make any evolution changes to say, trade evolution Pokemon?

PkmnTrainerKonner

PkmnTrainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
A couple questions concerning evolutions. How are trade evolutions done in this hack? And are later generation evolutions like Magmortar and Electivire available?

Chain

Pokemon Fan
Years
Wow, what an incredible hack man ! I had started developing a Pokemon Yellow hack-remake on FireRed, but it doesn't compare, this is the really best! I will play it and I will be attentive to the post. Congratulations!

Last edited:

Boonzeet

Years
Playing it right now, I like it. Also I noticed that you even added Fairy type which is a nice bonus. Did you make any evolution changes to say, trade evolution Pokemon?

A couple questions concerning evolutions. How are trade evolutions done in this hack? And are later generation evolutions like Magmortar and Electivire available?

Trade evolutions are set to evolve at Level 36. Most Pokemon that evolve with an item should be set to just have the item used on them, although I think Kingdra was missed in this release.

where do i get charmander after leaving Mt. Moon?

The trainer with charmander should be at the start of Route 24 - just north of Nugget Bridge

Wow, what an incredible hack man ! I had started developing a Pokemon Yellow hack-remake on FireRed, but it doesn't compare at all with this. I will play it and I will be attentive to the post. Congratulations!

Thank you very much!

Boonzeet

Years
Is It completed?

It is for now! It's quite a simple hack, just as if they made a Yellow version in this generation.

This looks fun. Has the difficulty been tinkered with?

Yes, it's not quite as brutal as Yellow but the gym battles are certainly higher levels than FRLG, and many of the trainers.

is there a proper post game for this hack?

This hack only changes elements of FRLG to be more like Yellow. The Sevii Islands (the technical postgame) have a wider selection of Pokémon available to capture.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen yesterday
Hey loving this hack. I tweaked the sprites with my own. Its literally pokemon yellow with the anime sprites was also able to update your jessie and james to their actual sprites too. Learned a lot through YouTube. Let me know if you want me to upload it and maybe you can tweak it as well.

Cheers!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 23, 2020
Hi there. It's very nice hack, I'm playing it right now on my phone as handheld :) I was looking for "Yellow on gba" for quite a long time and I checked thunder yellow, lighting yellow etc. and this one is the most comfortable for me. I will let you know about the bugs. I started 2 days ago, so I found one bug so far - you got running shoes twice - once at the beginning of the game and later when you want to leave Pewter City and go to the Cave.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 23, 2020
Regarding bugs: I didn't double-check, but in the second rival fight after misty, the rivals sandshrew uses teleport and the eevee uses withdraw. looks like even tough the pokemon are changed, the movesets aren't

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2021
Hey mate quick question. First off I'm loving this hack you made! My game is dark in outdoor areas, as I transition to an inside area the environment lights up as normal and stays lit up inside. As soon as I go back to the overworld it goes back to dark. If this something you might be able to look into/fix? Thanks!

Years
  • Seen today
@ThatHyruleGuy

This sounds exactly like an implemented day/night cycle. Probably not a bug, but a feature.

Back