• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Presenting: THE RANDOM HACK (version 1.85 complete)

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Alright before I get started on this I want to get the thanks out of the way first.

So!

Firstly I'd like to thank colours, for coming up with the idea for this hack, and honorable mention to roni, who thought the idea would be cool.

Next huge thanks to the makers of and contributers to the CFRU, with their engine I was able to mock this up and have a working demo for people to play in 3 days time? And most of that was spent figuring out how to install it, once I did smooth sailing.

Speaking of that a huge thanks to Upsurge & Dark Gyrados helping and advising me into the wee hours to get the program, working as I flailed around like monkey on a type writer.

Think that's everyone, oh and thanks to the guy that told me about dark gyrados, and sent him a message to try to help me out.
    Didn't appreciate it then but thanks.

Finally thanks to everyone that contributed to ModExe that program was also instrumental in making this what is, as well as hex maniac advance to fix the trainer move sets.

Now that that's done here's the idea.

The random hack got started from a simple idea;
    what if the only move you could use was metronome?

Screenshot (492).png

You introduce a major element of chaos, as well as throw out all meta.
    But if you need a bright side, it would make the pokemon themselves shine all the more.

When move choice is irrelevant all you're left with is all the things tied specifically to species.
    The power of your type resistance, abilities (to an extent) , and your stats.

Since you're not pulling off one hit kills with uber moves, or destroying your opponent's foundation with strategy
    you really get a sense for each mon's relative bulk and other strenghts.

Because of the obvious limits of your only move being metronome, there's a few caviates to the concept.

1. this isn't normal metronome, the move list is expanded, and several moves it normally couldn't do are now available to it. Also the PP has been increased.

2.To avoid struggle and make captures a little easier, most movesets aren't "strictly metronome" I expanded the original idea to any non-damaging move that is natural to that pokemon.

For example early game squirtle learns tackle water gun tail whip and leer and withdraw.

After removing the damage moves you're left with tail whip leer and withdraw.
    Screenshot (490).png

All moves that are natural, leer or glaring, shaking their tail, or withdrawing into a shell are all natural animal behaviors. That Squirtle wouldn't necessarily need a move to do.

You can see where I'm going with this, I hope.

Because of this you'll discover that there is a bit of a species based tier list, which also allows for a little strategizing around metronome.

FEATURES

This is built on CFRU/DPE, so nearly every move up to gen 8 is available (via metronome) I've personally edited the metronome ban list
    to make things extra fun. ;)

HMs can be used without having to be learned, or win certain gym badges. -had to use debug function some still in process. (i.e cut strength)[done]
    EV training is quick an easy as I've multiplied the benefit of ev training items like the power brace etc. -added still testing
    With how I have it set up you should be able to fully ev train after defeating about only 20 pokemon!!

It's not meant to be hard, its just a simple side project , I decided to try out for a friend mostly on a whim.
    But there a few challenge features you'll find if you give it a try. But its mostly meant to be a fun ridiculous escape.

I found that not having control over your pokemon's movements was actually very freeing, and even if things went wrong
    I'd still be laughing my butt off.

So if you want to, give it a try but don't take it too serious and just have fun with it.

Lastly you can fight gyms in any order, it's your journey so choose your adventure.
    (except the 8th gym leader, obviously he has to be last)

This is a UPS patch for fire red, I believe I used version 1, but hopefully this works for squirrels too.
    Patch is below. name is a work in progress but, after pathing rename your file Z-random hack. idk maybe...
    Pokemon Hack: Z-random?

[A Little Something Fun ;)

other hack
    Inverse Alter

Pls Read This

Attachments

• Pokemon Hack_Z-Random.ups
      8.5 MB · Views: 61
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Patch is up now.

NEW UPDATED Patch....
    Bug fixes- now all pokemon both trainer, and wild will use the new movesets and have been completely edited.
    And fixed a little issue in the starter town.

Bug, working on an issue with the gym leaders items-(working on the ev items and HMs. ev items/training aren't necessary but I just want them to be available.) Fixed

Found and Fixed an issue with Lt. Surge, he now has correct pokemon data. accidentally broke his pointer in a previous edit.

Gym leaders and items are all set. was gonna keep this a secret but gym leaders can be refought.

If you want to fight your way through all the gyms again with a new team, you can do that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Since you have access to newer moves, maybe make all of their movesets random based.

- Metronome
    - Accupressure
    - Sleep Talk
    - Magnitude
    - Assist

Those moves are usually non-competitive but in this hack, it could make it interesting. I'm not too familiar with Gen 7/8 so there may be more obviously but these came to mind.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    evo Bugs FIXED: new patch posted.

Let me know what you think of the difficulty, especially late game. I made some new adjustments with the latest patch.

lol ok another bug, so uhh apparently a feature I didn't mention that I thought failed is actually working but in a way I don't yet understand so yay i guess.

if you get surprised by something, just know they don't have the new moveses but luckily will just use struggle, so you can get through it without any problems, but I'll look into it and update them as I can.

Ok so only some of them only know struggle... Ok I'll make another patch later or tomorrow to undo that part until I can fix all the movesets...again, then I'll figure out a better way to implement. It was supposed to be a secret surprise but I couldn't get it working correctly.

edit
    Newest update patched it out until its taken care of, so download the new attachment.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    another patch, gym data was overwritten, fixed now, cinnabar and fuchisia gym will no longer crash after beating gym leader.
    all gyms are now fixed for real this time. Next update is a big undertaking so won't be as quick.

..ANOTHER one

DJ Meister... ok its time to sleep.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Was wrong new update didn't take long, edited all boulders rocks and small trees to work with new custom script, minor stat tweaks.

A few more changes, big and small, and I can call phase 1 of this game Complete.

After that updates won't come as quickly, but the game will essentially be done.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    quick edit, updated the patch. Last one, still had test spawns, in one area, so you could encounter pokemon without sprites.

just had to do a quick fix in advance map.

*secondary edit, was able to find a bug where item data got overwritten, fixed and hopefully no longer an issue.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Hi, yeah you, its been a while.

I'm just curious to know if any has beaten my hack, or at least got through the main gyms by now.
    If you did I'd like to know what you thought of my changes?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Been a while, wassup how ya doing, you look nice.
    o//o oh and happy new year to ya.
    So, I'm actually probably...not coming back to this hack.

It's essentially complete already, if I ever finish my main hack, I might redo this in decomp, using that as a base.

But since no one reported any more bugs this should be a perfectly good project/game to try.

There's also a lot more to it, then what's explained in the thread.

Besides the normal CFRU stuff, I made some adjustments so later gen pokemon can evolve easier.

And when I said HMs can be used without being learned or without the gym badges,
    I meant you don't even need to have the item.

You can use HM moves in the overworld from the start of the game.
    Meaning there are few to no obstacles in your way, its as close to an open world game as pokemon probably should/could get.

Plus that sign at the start..if everything worked well, it should also trigger the event only post game stuff.

for the legendaries like deoxys, ho-oh, etc.

Aside from all the randomness, I tried to make it the most complete version of fire red I could.
    So it made sense to me, to ensure those extra events were part of the normal game.

To anyone that gives it a try after this point, and actually reads this far,
    I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    small update

Hey everyone, its been a while.
    happy 2023, hope its a better year than the recent ones have been for everyone.

Just saw the notice about coming site updates, and i'm pretty sure when that happens I'll lose access to my account,
    and won't be able to reupload any patches, should they go down.

So for anyone interested in this or my other hacks, just a heads up, and letting ya'll know to get
    them while you can.

My time here has been a joy, so if I go, I was happy I was here and met so many great and welcoming people. :)

a friend I made this for attempted a nuzlocke challenge of this, which is a pretty fun read,
    and also a good teaser/showcase for what playing this is like if youre on the fence about it.
    You can check that out below.

A Little Something Fun ;)

other hack
    Inverse Alter

Last edited:
    Back