• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Spectrobes GBA ~ Sci-Fi Space Pokemon ~ Something a little different :)

Asith

Uwao
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    BCK4hOc.png

lFJk1Ng.png
    What the heck is Spectrobes?

Spectrobes was a sci-fi monster-battling RPG published by Disney Interactive Studios. Released on the Nintendo DS, the game was praised for successfully combining the monster-collecting genre with its sci-fi tropes, including space travel, planet exploration, and an extraterrestrial foe, while maintaining the JRPG base that supports monster catching. Its primary features included excavating and unearthing fossils of extinct creatures and reawakening them to fight alongside you. These entertaining tropes, combined with unique creature designs, gave Spectrobes its own stage to stand on. The game was considered a commercial success and spawned two sequels, before quietly being dropped by Disney and forgotten about over the years.​

TOEVctR.png
    What the heck is this rom hack?

This project aims to recreate the original Spectrobes game, but within Pokemon FireRed. To most of you, this can just be considered a fakemon or un-pokemon rom hack - but not one which follows the standard tropes of Pokemon. While based on FireRed, the uniqueness of Spectrobes means that this project is an entirely new experience than that of mainline Pokemon games. Even if you haven't heard of Spectrobes, if you're a little tired of the Pokemon story formula and are looking for a fresh monster-collecting rom hack, this one aims to please you too! And to the few of you who are already fans of Spectrobes, you can consider this a nostalgia-loving GBA demake of the first game :)

vGvRAPV.png
    Features

NshT1NP.png
    What the heck is the story (brief intro, no spoilers)

Spoiler:

YeFFvGT.png
    What the heck you'll be doing

Spoiler:

1qvTKsZ.png
    What the heck kinda monsters you'll be collecting

Spoiler:

C1mNmsb.png
    What the heck you'll be listening to

Spoiler:

G2CnMk7.png
    What the heck kinda core mechanics exist

Spoiler:

eYKiwIx.png
    Screenshots

7wgICVp.png
    3jvhOs0.png
    oohkqO0.png
    SPe4jDp.png
    4b8t91T.png
    g8jExNm.png
    B7858ra.gif
    wykLk5H.png
    kwSnD4Y.png
    5KY1cEV.png
    BG1RqDU.png
    2Ba04Ey.png

iUpysy7.png
    SmfUcPZ.png
    J3o8gJ7.png
    GxPvn9I.png
    mAmSoqr.png
    NxtTp1C.png
    Tih7CPl.png
    hIMRcNe.gif
    rGtKaJu.png
    WDfi4re.png
    6QZTbjH.png
    Z14KNqP.png

96oMWwk.png
    Current patch notes

Spoiler:

UzpDvMs.png
    Community / Team (?)

So far, this has been a passion project developed by me and only me. However, if anyone shares that passion and wants to offer help, then I'd love to have you. Clearly the main area I'm lacking in is graphics, so anyone with a hint of skill in pixel art or map making will be welcomed with open arms :) Help in other areas would be fine too, especially if you have history with either Rom Hacking or Spectrobes :)

If you're excited enough follow the development of this project or want to let me know what you'd like added to the game, then please join the Discord Server or my Twitter! They will be the main hubs for the project from now on :)

Enjoy playing my demo for now :D I hope it succeeds in either giving old Spectrobes fans a shot of nostalgia, or peaks the interest of monster-collectors entering the sci-fi realm with a new story!

CIVCbwG.png
    Downloads
    CIVCbwG.png

Last edited:

Anthroyd

Professor
    Years
  • The first comment in this thread pretty much sums it up. Unique and super impressive. I really like the fakemon art. Awesome stuff!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Nice work man, I loved Spectrobes back in the days but I haven't played it ever since. I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Anthroyd said:
    The first comment in this thread pretty much sums it up. Unique and super impressive. I really like the fakemon art. Awesome stuff!

Thanks a lot :))

Nice work man, I loved Spectrobes back in the days but I haven't played it ever since. I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

It was definitely an old nostalgic gem for me too :)
    Those games still hold up for me as a fan, and hopefully this hack gives the same energy to people who are more pokemon-accustomed

Last edited:

Izack mooij

FireRed Rocket Beta Tester
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2023
    Game is brilliant just finshed demo available got lvl 17 near 18 all rest 15 new fresh game for 2021 hope to see more from you in future after this game done good work.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Game is brilliant just finshed demo available got lvl 17 near 18 all rest 15 new fresh game for 2021 hope to see more from you in future after this game done good work.

Thanks for the level data! They were roughly where I expected the player to be, but maybe a little higher ;)

Thanks for the playing the whole demo :D
    I'll probably set up a discord since people seem to be mildly interested

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • This is actually really creative. I am curious to see how this progresses over time. Good luck my dude!
    P.S: Really clean character mugshots you've got going there!

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    This is actually really creative. I am curious to see how this progresses over time. Good luck my dude!
    P.S: Really clean character mugshots you've got going there!

Thanks! Great to see some people who aren't Spectrobes fans trying out the hack!

Updates: Currently working on minor bug fixes.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Alright, minor bug fixes are done and this demo is complete, assuming no one else reports any bugs. Download has been updated (save files will always be compatible). I'm gonna start working on the next content update soon.
    Speaking of reporting bugs, I've also set up a Discord Server. Please join it if you want to follow the project!

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Links have been updated to V0.22, a bug hotfix. Users on the Discord reported the game crashing when Naguryu's move Nagunokk was in battle. This only affected ancient emulators like VBA, but it's been fixed nonetheless.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2023
    It's so nice to see some unique tilesets instead of more of the "HGSS graphics forced into GBA hardware" stuff.

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    It's so nice to see some unique tilesets instead of more of the "HGSS graphics forced into GBA hardware" stuff.

Thanks haha. The "unique" tilesets here are probably more from a lack of pixel art skill on my part but I'll take the compliment regardless :p

Asith

Uwao
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Haven't been updating this topic much, but here are the child and adult form Spectrobes planned for the next content update!
    As usual, the best place to follow for development updates is the discord.

Last edited:

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • This looks incredible!
    I saw the title and wasn't expecting to see much but maybe the concept but what you have already looks so polished and clean! Can't wait to try it out myself! Awesome work!
    Loved playing the first spectrobes on my old DS lite!

Back