• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

takes me back - nostalgia

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Recently I'm experiencing like, waves of nostalgia due to now being able to battle RBY tier on Pokémon Online, PKMN Yellow was one of the first games I ever played so naturally that is very nostalgic for me! So what are the most nostalgic things for you? It could be games, music, food, a certain smell, a movie or television show - anything at all which just takes you back to those moments of your childhood. Share it with the rest!

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    When I watch UFC it reminds me of hitting my little bro in the face after beating me in a battle on Pokemon Yellow.

Ritzz

Bazinga
    Years
    I get whiffs of random smells that are very nostalgic to me. It's very weird, but fine by me. :x

Besides that, any songs from the '90s, like Sugar Ray, Everclear, etc.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah 90s songs are nostalgic. N*SYNC and Backstreet Boys in particular.

Also specifically for me some video games make me super nostalgic - Ocarina of Time, FFVII, Tekken 3, and some others. Also, whenever people talk about invisible friends I get really nostalgic because when I was a kid I had invisible pets that I loved (not that I needed more pets than my 20 cats haha) and I like thinking about them.

The other really weird thing that's nostalgic is laying in bed with my sister laying in bed in the same room. We shared a room all through childhood and now we still do but I don't sleep in my bed so we're almost never sleeping in the same room. When we do it's really nostalgic.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    So many things make me nostalgic o h m y g o d

Some video games that make me nostalgic are that Frogger game for the GBA whose name completely escapes me and I'm too lazy to google it - it was the first video game I ever owned. I loved it so much and would play it all the time. I got to the final boss, but I don't think I was ever able to beat him. :( Another nostalgic video game for me is Pokémon Yellow because it was the first Pokémon game I ever played.

Blockbuster Video makes me super-nostalgic because I used to go there all the time as a kid and rent all the Lamb Chop videos they had - Lamb Chop makes me nostalgic as well. I also used to rent a lot of Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance games when it was offered at the time. Now that it's not around anymore, I really do miss it because of those memories.

Britney Spears makes me nostalgic because I used to dance to her first two CDs when I was little, and I used to know the words to most of the songs on Oops I Did it Again. :'D

90s TV shows make me nostalgic because.. come on. They're ~90s TV shows~. Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, Pokémon, Digimon, Rugrats... the list goes on and on. I could write an essay on why they make me so nostalgic (but I won't).

Being a 90s kid was freaking badass.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    Some smells can bring me right back to any place in time. My sister uses a specific brand of face wash and I asked if I could use it. I opened up the container and the smell immediate brought me back to when I was in middle school. I remember using the same kind of face wash around that age due to maintaining a good hygiene now.
    Now that its on my trail of though, smell and memory are linked together closely so I'm sure everyone has at least one smell that can take them back in time.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory and Codename: Kids Next Door take me to the times when I'd watch them on TV all day; more importantly, they remind me of the times I stayed in the US for 4 years.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Sitting at my desk on a warm day. My window would be open with the bright sun beaming through onto my carpet floor. The wind blows through and the trees rustle; wind chimes sway softly in the wind and their soft bell calls drift away. Or any other day that's on the verge of dusk, where the sky is completely orange-purple and looks like a smoothie blend. It reminds me of when I used to go outside and run around and play tag or football with my childhood friends.

Also whenever I flip through my giant binder of my old Pokemon TCG cards. Ah the memories...

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I remember playing through Blue, Red, and Yellow all the time... I thought they were so awesome! I just loved playing through blue and red on my OLD OLD OLD Gameboy. My mom had the original one so that was the one I played on until I got a Gameboy Color. Talk about a dinosaur XD

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, I drove through my old neighborhood a few weeks ago and I felt really nostalgic, everything looked so different to how I remembered it, and some stuff was exactly the same.

I always get that nostalgic feeling when I hear an old song. I remember going through youtube a while back for pretty old stuff, and could remember hearing the stuff on the radio when I was younger.

Pokémon Yellow was actually the first game I've ever played too, my cousin gave it to me including a Game Boy Pocket, still works and I always feel nostalgic when I turn it on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Once when I was cleaning out my room a few years back, I found at the back of my drawers an old pair of pyjamas that I used to wear when I was about 2-3 years old.

I have no idea how they got there, (I had moved house like 3 times since being that age) and all logic says they should have smelt like **** because they'd been sat at the back for about a decade. But for some reason they smelt as if they'd been freshly cleaned, the same smell of washing powder that my mum used to use when I wore them. I would go to bed sniffing them for a few days, lmao; then all the smell faded and they just became regular boring pyjamas. :( My brother dubbed them the 'graby pyjamas'; his idea is graby = grown up baby.

personal favourite nostalgia media: Cardcaptor Sakura, Soul Reaver and Silent Hill (video games), Daft Punk and 80s arcade games, Amstrad CPC games, Atari games, Commodore games, all the old games.

A lot of music makes me nostalgic. Even music I didn't listen to when I was young, I can't explain it. Sometimes things just carry a certain 90s vibe to them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Last person I told this found it weird, but the smell of dirt makes me feel nostalgic. They said they don't know what dirt smells like, but whenever I smell it, it takes me back to my time overseas, where we played soccer on a big dirt field.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    Last person I told this found it weird, but the smell of dirt makes me feel nostalgic. They said they don't know what dirt smells like, but whenever I smell it, it takes me back to my time overseas, where we played soccer on a big dirt field.

That's not weird. The smell of dirt actually takes me back to when me and my friends would take buckets of water out to this little patch of dirt out the front of my house (which is no longer there) with the specific intention of manufacturing mud lol

As for me, there are a ton of things that make me nostalgic. Old video games are the main one, I think. Turning on Pokemon Red or Gold and walking around with the character for a bit (even though I can no longer bring myself to actually play the game anymore since they're so outdated they're painful) makes me pine for the days when I would spend hours on end playing with them. Same with my SNES and N64 games. My childhood was all about the gaming, so there are so many memories with so many people attached to each.

Another thing that makes me nostalgic is sometimes when I'm sitting here and this awesome cool breeze comes through the window next to me. It takes me back immediately to when I was a kid. Not sure why.

Finally, the strangest one I can think of is my friend's houses. I find that each house has a very distinct smell that is like no other and a very distinct feel and when I walk in it immediately transports me into the past experiences I've had there. That's another reason it cuts me up so much when my friends move house. It means I'll never be able to go into their old house again and feel that way.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Visiting my old house. Whenever I go their, all the memories I have of that place just rush back to me all at once. Good times.

And big piles of dirt make me somewhat nostalgic. When I was ~10 or 11 my dad had a big hole dug in the back of our house so he could bury a crap load of junk scrap that he didn't feel like taking to the dump. And it was a big hole, with a lot of leftover dirt after it was filled. It was a big dirt mountain, and I spent a lot of time climbing and jumping down. Dirt mountain was their for a long time, but the rains and stuff slowly wore it down.

I miss my dirt mountain.

Years
    For me not many things are nostalgic. Mostly because I've forgotten most of what happened in my childhood xD But from what nostalgia I can get my hands on it's mostly music.
    Songs that use to be on TV or the radio a lot in the background whilst I was playing with my toys really stuck with me. For example Tide is High by Atomic Kitten always brings back memories of being out in the courtyard at my nans house making houses and secret bases for my Pokémon figurines :3

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    listening to songs by the backstreet boys, n*sync, and the rest definitely induces nostalgia in me. also, watching old nickelodeon t.v. shows (such as "hey arnold", "legends of the hidden temple", etc.) whenever they come on air early in the mornings or late at night take me back to the days when they were regularly aired.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Cos yoshi told me to lol <3

Anyway, recently ive been getting mega nostalgia for RBY. Ive been competitive battling exclusively 1st gen lately and i absolutely love it, much better than 5th gen garbage. >_> Ive also been playing Yellow and when i first picked it up i was like "*O*" cos it has been so long since ive played it. It really is fun as things were so different back then with their humble beginnings. =P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I think music is probably the most nostalgic thing for me. If I hear the theme song of a cartoon I used to watch all the time, I definitely get hit with waves of nostalgia. I also have this tendency to listen to one song over and over sometimes and then when I hear the song weeks/months/years later, I find it really easy to go back to the days I listened to it. I have very vivid memories of what I was doing while listening to some songs.

I can't think of anything else that affects me as much as music, which is interesting, because I'm really not much of an audiophile at all.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Video games are a big nostalgia-fest for me. Mainly because I don't play them that much any more, in contrast to a borderline-obsession with them when I was a lot younger. If I see, like, a GameCube game or something even older, it's an instant nostalgia-fest for me. Sometimes I might even try to play it again, only to realise that my old N64 is in a charity shop somewhere, or my old Game Boy Color is probably in landfill. But for those few nostalgic seconds/minutes, it takes me back to being 10-years-old, which I guess is a good thing.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Video games (old Pokemon stuff, as well as more...obscure things), old TV shows (I remember a while back ShiningRaichu mentioned an old one which brought back HUGE waves of nostalgia), old books and even old songs I have not heard in ages do that for me. Smells too, I find; that's one you don't recall until you smell it, think of a moment and then have that 'oooooohhhhh' moment, haha.

Back