• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starters!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The Starters!

T H E S T A R T E R S

You've seen these guys from when they were just silhouettes and CoroCoro scans, and we've come a long way! This discussion is all about the starters and their evolutions.

The Starters!
    Which starter did you choose at the beginning? Why this one? Did you obtain all three?

The Starters!
    Which shiny form of the starters/evolutions do you prefer? Have you ever wanted/obtained the shiny form?

The Starters!
    If you had to change anything from the starters and their evolutions (stats, movepool, type, design, etc.) what would you take out or put in?

The Starters!
    Do you think GameFreak went uphill or down when going from the previous starters to our present ones? Why or why not?

The Starters!
    Just for fun, (and this doesn't have to be viewed competitively) in a fight between all three starters (or their evolutions) which do you see winning? Feel free to have your own starter battle between the members in this thread! 8)

Again feel free to use the above topics as a 'starter' discussion, and continue to make new topics discussing the starters in this thread as well!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

d i s c u s s

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I chose Tepig because I felt like I needed the extra bulk its evolutionary line carried and the movepool was quite solid if I do say so myself, that and I liked its design at first but felt like I fell in love after seeing Emboar for the first time lol. I'd still kill for a shiny Tepig though xD

For Oshawott and its evolutionary line I'd give the moves Shell Smash, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and maybe Crunch as well to name a few moves. For Snivy's line I'd give Swords Dance, Earthquake, Sleep Powder, Dragon Pulse, Nasty Plot, Focus Blast, and probably Power Gem, know it's a little much but the current move pool could use a lot of work if you ask me. For Tepig's evolutionary line I'd give it Submission, Fire Punch, and Close Combat as it doesn't need much more to its current move pool IMO as it's already quite large enough haha.

Type wise I'd give Samurott a Water/Ice typing while with Serperior I'd go with Grass/Dragon since I feel like those dual typings would suit those respective Pokes TBH.

Stat wise I wouldn't do all that much except raise Serperior's attack and special attack up a bit to where they're on par with that of Sceptile's offensive spread respectively and perhaps get Emboar's defense and special defense up to that of Swampert's defensive spread as well. Samurott I'm not so sure TBH but it could use a bit more speed but not too much lol.

I think Gamefreak did a rather good job with this trio TBH since I feel like I'm choosing an entirely new playstyle with a different starter for each new game in B/W which I still enjoy quite a bit.

Even though I love Emboar to the core of my heart and beyond, I don't see it faring up against Samurott very well TBH even with Wild Charge at its disposal, if held items were in the equation then I could see Emboar possibly standing a chance but if not then it's not much of a contest there IMO. Serperior would most likely get OHKO'd by Emboar and 2HKO'd by Samurott if it carried Ice Beam or Megahorn but if Dream World abilities were added in then Serperior would most likely OHKO Samurott with a Leaf Storm and possibly 2HKO Emboar with another Leaf Storm due to the Contrary boost but that's just my opinion anyways. All in all though I'm not sure TBH lol.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    When I first started playing White I chose Oshawott and for Black I chose Snivy. It was a hard decision for me because I like all three a lot. I have all of them in shiny form somewhere. xD I think Snivy looks the best as a shiny though. Teal is always a nice color. I think Emboar would win in a fight, honestly. It has the bulk to deal with Samurott. :P

I agree with Xulek that Gamefreak did a pretty good job on the starters. I have no complaints. ^_^

Ashley182

I.MISS.YOU.
    Years

Which starter did you choose at the beginning? Why this one? Did you obtain all three?

I chose snivy as my first starter on white, but I've manged to playthrough with them all, I found snivy to be the more fun to play through with as I could build the team that I wanted in the first place to counter his weaknesses. I chose him to start off with because he looked cool :3

Which shiny form of the starters/evolutions do you prefer? Have you ever wanted/obtained the shiny form?

I've always wanted a shiny snivy!!!

If you had to change anything from the starters and their evolutions (stats, movepool, type, design, etc.) what would you take out or put in?

I'd make snivy more of a dragon/grass pokemon, learning moves like dragon dance etc, would be pretty cool to say at the least.

Do you think GameFreak went uphill or down when going from the previous starters to our present ones? Why or why not?

I think they went up hill with the starters, I hated the sinnoh starters, simply because of there designs, I only liked monferno :3

Just for fun, (and this doesn't have to be viewed competitively) in a fight between all three starters (or their evolutions) which do you see winning?

I see Samurott winning because of its great stats and defense and it has some good moves, that could destroy the other two starters.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I chose Oshawott in Pokemon White version, whilst I chose Snivy in Pokemon Black version. When it came to the time where I needed to choose my Unova Pokemon starter, I hadn't thought about which of the three I'd pick since I always choose the Water starter. :P Water Pokemon are my favourite type and all, so generally I'll always pick the Water type starter- it's just one of my Pokemon traditions, I guess you could say haha~. As for Snivy, I chose him because I needed his completed Pokedex entry on White version. My "less important version" is generally used to capture version exclusives and the leftover starter Pokemon to complete my "main game" Pokedex. So I guess that means soon I'll restart my Pokemon Black so I can capture and trade over a Tepig. :P

Hmmm interesting question; I haven't considered this before. :3 Just scanning over the Black and White Pokemon now and I'd love to own a shiny Dewott. It's green colour scheme looks amazing. <3

Firstly, I would have made Pignite and Emboar a Fire/Dark typing, rather than a Fire/Fighting typing. I'm not too sure about anyone else, though I'm sort starting to get over seeing a Fire/Fighting typing or the final evolution of a Fire starter. The Professor may as well say, "you can choose a Grass type, a Fire/Fighting type or a Water type". XD

I would have given Samurott the opportunity to learn Earthquake, just like the other fully evolved Water starters. Also I would have given Samurott more opportunity to learn some Fighting moves (both naturally and through TM). I could see Brick Break being viable. Perhaps in a "third version" if Superpower is a Move Tutor move, I'd have to give Samurott Superpower.

The Unova Pokemon in general seem to feel "different", compared to previous generations. I can't put my finger on why though. However, with the Unova starter Pokemon, I feel that it remained the same. I liked the starters available for Generation IV, and I eel the same for Generation V too.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I chose Oshawott in Black and Tepig in White. I never bothered with Snivy because of its average offenses and shallow offensive movepool.

What I'd change with the starters: I'd give Serperior slightly higher offenses and more offensive moves (not sure), I'd reduce some of Emboar's base HP and add it to its Speed and switch Samurott's Defense with its Speed.

Competitively, GameFreak went a bit downhill with the starters, but Emboar and Samurott do see some use in the lower tiers. But then again, all 3 have cool designs, which is a plus, especially Samurott.

In a battle against the 3, Samurott would win because its movepool is the most versatile among them.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    I started with Oshawott because it is always in my attention to always start out with a Water type Pokemon. Thanks to the wonders of the GTS, I did get all three starter Pokemon

Honestly, I like Snivy's shiny form because to me Tepig and Oshawott's shiny form is so overused. As for the final evolution for the starters, I'll have to go with Emboar because I am digging the blue flames on it.

I would take those things off of Samurott's legs because with those things on its legs, its like a Unova Swampert. For Serperior, I would make it a Grass/Dragon type Pokemon because it does have a resemblance of a dragon in my opinion.

Some Pokemon do look like copies from previous Pokemon before hand, such as Snivy looking like a Cyndaquil and Samurott looking like Swampert.

Just for fun, (and this doesn't have to be viewed competitively) in a fight between all three starters (or their evolutions) which do you see winning?
    My main starter final evolution, Samurott.

:t354:TG

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    As much as I don't really like bullet points I cba to do otherwise atm XD

I knew from when I saw them that I was gonna pick Tepig. I thought Oshawott was cute at first but then the craze over it and him being pushed down my throat all the time kind of ruined it for me, and I like Tepig's final stage the best of all three. And no I never bothered to get all three of them, though I probably have eggs of them lying around somewhere in my box.

Uhh from what I can remember I think I like Serperior's shiny a lot, but yeah I can't remember all of them. Don't really need one of them either.

SAMUROTT.

Definitely. It went from 9/10 to 4/10 imo. But I'm a major gen 1/2 geek haha.

Just for fun, (and this doesn't have to be viewed competitively) in a fight between all three starters (or their evolutions) which do you see winning? Feel free to have your own starter battle between the members in this thread! 8)
    Yeah judging by looks I'd probably say Emboar, I mean he's a fire type and those are always destructive (looking), and he just has a badass design too so I'll go with him. Competitive wise probably Serperior lol.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Which starter did you choose at the beginning?
    Snivy.

Why this one?
    Only one I really like the appearance of, and I like the grass type most.

Did you obtain all three?
    No.

Which shiny form of the starters/evolutions do you prefer?
    Basic: Snivy
    First evo.: Servine
    Second evo.: Samurott

Have you ever wanted/obtained the shiny form?
    No/no.

I wouldn't have made the Tepig line part fighting. We've had enough of that from fire starters; being part ground would've been more interesting and fitting, alas.
    Design-wise I would've given the Oshawott line a more armoured appearance, the way they officially look is like odd patches are tacked on.
    Serperior and Oshawott should be able to learn Earthquake and whatever else they may be missing that all other fully-evolved starters can use.

Over the course of the series I think fire starters have stagnated with all this part fighting typing as I mentioned above, grass starters have improved, and that water starters have always been ugly Surf-thralls.

Strictly base-stat-wise (EVs = variable ∴ no sure outcome), Serperior would move first and KO Samurott, then be killed by Emboar. Type matchups and speed are the biggest contributors to damage done.

What I'd change with the starters: I'd give Serperior slightly higher offenses and more offensive moves (not sure), I'd reduce some of Emboar's base HP and add it to its Speed and switch Samurott's Defense with its Speed.
    I think (relatively; in starter terms) fast and defensive was the point with Serperior. I like it, there are so few fast defenders...

Last edited:

JakeG

Pokemon Awakening-Coming Soon!
    Years
    Snivy, I really didn't think I'd be playing this game to the full (which I did end up doing) and I like his design the most. Originally I was going to pick Tepig but didn't really like the look of his evolution line. If I could choose now I'd most likely go with Osshawatt. No I only have Snivy.

Not sure, I usually don't like shiny starters.

Not too sure honestly :/

It wasn't the BEST in my eyes, but I did like them.

Snivy, I really didn't think I'd be playing this game to the full (which I did end up doing) and I like his design the most. Originally I was going to pick Tepig but didn't really like the look of his evolution line. If I could choose now I'd most likely go with Osshawatt. No I only have Snivy.

Not sure, I usually don't like shiny starters.

Not too sure honestly :/

It wasn't the BEST in my eyes, but I did like them.

Last edited:

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I started my game with Oshawott because after seeing Ash's in the anime, I couldn't resist. I also generally like Samurott the best out of the final starters. I did get all the starters in the end because I had both games, however I didn't use the other two on my team, because I preferred Lilligant and Chandelure in their place. I always liked Oshawott's shiny form, I have never attempted to get it, but I might in the future. I think their designs fit as starter Pokémon, but their movepools and stats are lacking, especially Serperior's. A Dargon typing would be cool, but I understand why it didn't happen. I think they went uphill, because personally, I really hated Chimchar. I think Tepig would win, because of its better bulk, and the fact that it can hit harder.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
    Years
    The Starters!

Easy! Oshawott. I can't say I'm a huge fan of his first evolution. His second on the other hand. Total badass. Does anyone else pick a starter the later evolutions? Or do they pick based on what they first see.

The Starters!

To be blunt I don't like any of the starter shinys

The Starters!

Oshawotts last evolution into Samurott doesn't suit the line. The tepig and snivy line follows the same characteristics all the way through their lines. Oshawott looks like the developers got stuck for ideas for Samurott.

The Starters!

I don't think there'll ever be a Pokemon Red or Blue again, not in my eyes. But from Gen IV It hasn't gone downhill. Uphill if anything. They've introduced a few great ideas, and also i like alot of the newer natures and stuff. It's an improvement in my eyes. I got bored with Gen IV after a bit. I don't think that'll happen with V. Well it hasn't yet.

Years
    The Starters!

I chose Oshawott cos he's cute, evos are awesome and it's better if you want an easy run. Once my brother gets White I'll do two restarts (have to beat Striaton Gym twice) I'll trade over a Snivy and Tepig eventually.

The Starters!

I think Snivy's line looks interesting as shinies.

The Starters!

I'd make Serperior and Samurott learn Earthquake to continue that pattern of final-evo Starters learning Earthquake. Emboar being the only one able to learn it feels odd.

The Starters!

I think every new starter trio released actually got better when it came to looks.

The Starters!

Emboar cos it can learn Grass Knot/SolarBeam as well as Scald and its usual Fire-type attacks. He has more diversity than Samurott or Serperior.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I chose Oshawott, not because of any affection for it, but because it was the lesser of three evils. Snivy was not good enough to get over my Grass-bias, and Tepig's slow and bulky nature upon evolution was a big turn-off. The biggest thing I'd change about the Oshawott would be to make Samurott a bit faster. Everything else was fine in a bulky-Water sort of way, but it always felt slow in comparison to something like Blastoise or Feraligatr.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    I really love Samurott! after Infernape and Swampert, Samurott comes in next. He is a freaking samurai.

I first chose Tepig for the heck of it. Awesome guy of course, with Heat Crash.

None. I think they are not good enough.

I will give EQ to Samurott and Serperior. Why leave them out?

Well, speaking of it, I think yes. After Infernape and Empoleon, we currently don't have a Gen V OU starter. The design is great but the playablity is just meh.

Oshawott would win of course. :)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I always choose Oshawhatt?! I find it's name to be a perfect pun, it's cute, it's adorable, it's one BAMF in the anime. If I could get away with playing through the game without much trouble with Oshawott not evolving, I would (but in my experience from trying, it's a lot more difficult than one would think). I think the design of the starters are great - but other than Servine, I think the final evos are very poorly designed and they could have been better.

Oshawott would win, because it's just better than Snivy and Pokabu okay!!!

Years
    For Black, I started with Oshawott cos it's cute and I like Samurott's design.

I did trade over a Tepig and Snivy eventually, they both fully evolved as well.

My Emboar (who evolved from my traded Tepig) happens to have good potential with his Speed as well as a Jolly nature, no wonder I'm proud of him. He was actually pretty fast for his species.

My Serperior (who evolved from my traded Snivy) has good Defense potential plus a Bold nature, he can tank hits pretty well.

As for my Samurott, he has a Serious nature and he's got a balanced Physical-Special moveset. He's my all-out attacker and Surf slave as well.

If the Unova Starters ever battled each other, maybe Oshawott might win cos its Water-type attacks are strong against Tepig plus it can use Blizzard and Ice Beam to counter Snivy.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    I chose Oshawott the day the game came out(Black, America) Oshawott is my favorite of the starters, and one of my favorite Pokemon. I got White a few months later and chose Tepig, because he is my 2nt favorite starter from Black White. but i don't have all the starters.
    It'd be nice and all to have a shiny Oshawott line just to have it, but Emboar is a shiny I'd personally love to have and I think looks best. The other's colors aren't too great.
    If you had to change anything from the starters and their evolutions (stats, movepool, type, design, etc.) what would you take out or put in? If I had to change something about the starters, it'd probably be the grass starter being a different species. Besides that, i wouldn't change anything.

Do you think GameFreak went uphill or down when going from the previous starters to our present ones? Why or why not? I don't think they went downhill at all. Dispite some thinking they were strange, and well, a pig being a odd thing to be the supposedly-strong starter, I think Gamefreak actually went for a 'tough' look with the starters. They may seem odd compared to other starters, but Black White is supposed to be different and unique, and to me, i rarely see a pokemon as 'not seeming like a Pokemon'. I think

Just for fun, (and this doesn't have to be viewed competitively) in a fight between all three starters (or their evolutions) which do you see winning? Feel free to have your own starter battle between the members in this thread! 8) I'm not sure, it could go any way really XD

Back