• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

California teen boycotts Girl scout cookies over inclusion of trans child

Years
I don't usually make these styled threads, but this was as despicable as it was intriguing.

Read about it here.

Huffington Post said:
A California-based teen is hoping to spearhead a national boycott of Girl Scout cookies after the organization's controversial decision to admit a 7-year-old transgender child to a Colorado troop this past fall.

The girl, which World News Daily has identified only as Taylor from Ventura County, Calif., appears in a YouTube video in which she claims her organization is using proceeds from sales of the popular cookies to "[promote] the desires of a small handful of people."

"Right now, Girl Scouts of the U.S.A...is not being honest with us girls, its troops, its leaders, its parents or the American public," Taylor, who claims to have been a Girl Scout for eight years, says in the clip. "Girl Scouts describes itself as an all-girl experience. With that label, families trust that the girls will be in an environment that is not only nurturing and sensitive to girls' needs, but also safe for girls."

She goes on to note, "I am asking you to take action with me and boycott Girl Scout Cookies." The video eventually concludes with a tagline for the Honest Girl Scouts site, which describes itself as a group "concerned with the alarming choices GSUSA has been making," and "advocating for a change back to simply building girls of good character."

Bigoted parents raise bigoted children, sad to say.

**Disclaimer: Behave in this thread or I will end you. Happy posting!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
The initial thought I had was how sad it was about how this article focuses on the negative aspect of the situation.

At the time, the Girl Scouts of Colorado released a statement through the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), noting, "If a child identifies as a girl and the child's family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout."
This should be the focal point of the article, not the closed-minded teen boycotting the idea. Yet another example of the media needing to get it's priorities in order.

I'm really happy and kind of proud how this child has been accepted into the girl scouts, despite being transgender. It's not something I'd usually expect, but seriously, it's adorable.

How people could think a 7 year old child is a danger, is beyond me. I feel bad for these children, they've obviously been brought up to think in this manner. But hopefully when they gain a little maturity, they will realise they are wrong.

Obviously I could understand the concern if it involved young adults, but these are children, they are harmless, regardless of their sexuality or gender. The sooner that we (as a society) start valuing gender (and personality) more than sex, the better.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I saw this on the news and immediately thought that it was extremely counter-productive of equality for transgender youth. To have to experience a boycott over the mere instance of you joining a club? I realize that transgender issues in the media and in politics are even newer than gay equality, but even still. I feel so horrible for the child. "If a child identifies as a girl and the child's family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout." Taylor can boycott her bigoted booty off all she wants, but I'll still be getting my girl scout cookies from the girls who aren't blind. Maybe even from the threateningly new addition!

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
What I don't understand is why she's being given publicity. She wanted attention and she got it. Good going, media lol

I laughed a little bit, like "oh no, you're not gonna buy our cookies? but you're a teenager, teenagers have TONS of money to spare for cookies, this puts a real dent in our profit margin!"

Last edited:

Zet

Years
People are already going to boycott her by buying twice as much girl scout cookies than they usually do.

It makes me wonder how she can even spout crap like that.

Years
Until today I didn't even know that the Girl Scouts accepted trans kids. You don't know how pleased I was to learn this. I'm so pleased I'm going to buy a ton of thin mints the next chance I get. :D

As for the self-righteous scout trying to start a boycott, she worries me. It says she's from Ventura County so I'm totally not surprised (my Republican cousins live there, within spitting distance of the Ronald Reagan library). I wish I could see the video itself, but from the quotes I'm getting the vibe that she doesn't just seem to think that trans girls are a threat to some vague ideal of "proper" girl-ness, but an actual physical danger, which is just completely crazy.

By the way, I've got another article on this right here.

Years
Wow. I really wish this girl good luck in trying to get a boycott going because of her bigotry to thew transgendered. Live_Wire, I don't know about you, but I feel like buying some Girl Scout cookies just to shut her up.

I hope they still have the peanut butter ones. I love those.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
Buying an extra dozen boxes this year...

The girl made the video private now, so I'm disappointed. I kinda wanted to watch it so I could get her points, but whatever I guess. Maybe she'll grow up one day.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
(From the link Scarf provided)

The call for a boycot stems from the case involving a Denver mother who, in Oct. 2011, approached a local chapter of the Girl Scouts of Colorado to have her seven-year-old son, whom she claims is transgender, admitted into the program. After media attention over its refusal to grant the mother's request reportedly because her child had "boy parts," the Colorado chapter relented and said it infact welcomes transgenders.

Truth. The kid isn't saying that he's a girl, its the parent. I think that they shouldn't have accepted him based upon the parents claims. Now, if they asked the child and he said the same thing? Then they should accept him. Right now though, from this story, it just looks to me like a case of a parent using their child to create a media storm.

No comment on the video, but it all stems from this childs acceptance so I'd rather comment on the cause, not the effect.

Years
(From the link Scarf provided)

The call for a boycot stems from the case involving a Denver mother who, in Oct. 2011, approached a local chapter of the Girl Scouts of Colorado to have her seven-year-old son, whom she claims is transgender, admitted into the program. After media attention over its refusal to grant the mother's request reportedly because her child had "boy parts," the Colorado chapter relented and said it infact welcomes transgenders.
Truth. The kid isn't saying that he's a girl, its the parent. I think that they shouldn't have accepted him based upon the parents claims. Now, if they asked the child and he said the same thing? Then they should accept him. Right now though, from this story, it just looks to me like a case of a parent using their child to create a media storm.

No comment on the video, but it all stems from this childs acceptance so I'd rather comment on the cause, not the effect.
I think you might be too focused on the semantics. That article might just be wording it in a skeptical way, using the word "claim" because the person writing it was doubtful of what the mother believed. And it would be the mother doing most of the talking anyway, and she could just be saying what her daughter told her. I would understand kids not wanting to talk to reporters or whatnot and for parents to be doing the talking to most media people.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
They let outright girls become boyscouts here, while I've never heard of the opposite coming to light.
It's not enough to let just transgender males in, I hope someday it's just 'scout'.

Oh, the boycott? I'm not sure that's even worth addressing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
So if I pretend to be a little girl then can I be admitted into the girl scouts as well? Doesn't matter that I'll never have the right parts or the proper chromosomes in my cells, or that I'm too old, as long as I believe it to be true then it is.

I am very proud of this girl for standing up for what she believes in and for what should be common sense. Just because you stick feathers in your butt and call yourself a chicken doesn't make you one.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
Yeah so I had kind of trouble actually comprehending this article because I couldn't understand what the whole point was. They are completely focussing on the wrong thing here. That girl is merely a side-party I don't even understand why it is about her. I don't understand how a trans girl joining the scouts would affect her in anyway, I don't understand why she would care about that at all, it's not even her concern. And what makes her think that her opinion even matters? (well this article actually makes it seem like it does, that's for sure) I'm just so confused about the fact that she thinks it matters at all what she supports or doesn't support lol.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
So if I pretend to be a little girl then can I be admitted into the girl scouts as well? Doesn't matter that I'll never have the right parts or the proper chromosomes in my cells, or that I'm too old, as long as I believe it to be true then it is.

I am very proud of this girl for standing up for what she believes in and for what should be common sense. Just because you stick feathers in your butt and call yourself a chicken doesn't make you one.

S/he can choose to have the right parts at a later age, there's no real reason to assume that a 7 year old not having a surgery to become a girl means that they'll never have one ever. I think for the vast majority of boys at that age, being referred to as a girl is the worst possible insult ever. That's about the age when they don't even want to be around them either. So for a boy to overcome that would generally imply that it's not just some average boy that wants to be in the Girl Scouts for some reason.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2012

Pretend. That little girl isn't pretending, love. That's the difference there. You contradict yourself with "if I pretend" and "as long as I believe." Those two things just can't be really be used together. To answer your question, I suppose, yes, you could get admitted by simply pretending to be a girl, but the question is.. would you want to? I mean go ahead.. no one is stopping you. But really, would you want to?

The girl in this article is ignorant and wicked. It would affect her none that a transgender girl joined the Girl Scouts. It would affect no one. It would change nothing. They believe that they are girls just as much as the person next to them, so what's it going to hurt to let them live how they choose? You can't expect much from such a bigoted society, I suppose...

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
My initial reaction: I can't believe this girl is allowed to do this, and moreover, get support and even media coverage. It's a disgrace to freedom-lovers everywhere, even those who do not yet realize it.

My second reaction: Oh, the Girl Scouts include transgirls? That's awesome. I've never bought their cookies before, but now I'll be sure to get plenty.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
This girl being in Girl Scouts isn't hurting anyone. I don't see why the teenager really gives a riff-raff. She's not the one running Girl Scouts and it wasn't her decision to include or exclude the trans child. She should really just mind her own business and let people live their lives.

You're comparing a psychological and mental type of change (and later physical) with a random thing like feathers and chickens, which is a more whimsical thing to do. Transgenders don't just decide "well, I'm supposed to be (opposite gender) so I'll do that now!" I imagine there's a lot of struggle and conflict with themselves before ever coming to that conclusion in the first place. As for your comparison, it's practically unrelated when you take into account what I just said. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, but to me, you're trying to compare apples to oranges and it's just not working.

Last edited:
Years
It makes me wonder if this girl knew that she would stir up a major hornet's nest when she called for the boycott of Girl Scout cookies just because they accepted a transgendered person into the troupe. I know the video can't be seen now, but there are a lot of people on Youtube voicing their opposition to her views.

Isn't the Girl Scouts about understanding, caring and respect for all? Even if this girl has the right to speak her mind, she'll only end up looking like a self-righteous tart who looks down on those who live their lives differently.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023

S/he can choose to have the right parts at a later age, there's no real reason to assume that a 7 year old not having a surgery to become a girl means that they'll never have one ever. I think for the vast majority of boys at that age, being referred to as a girl is the worst possible insult ever. That's about the age when they don't even want to be around them either. So for a boy to overcome that would generally imply that it's not just some average boy that wants to be in the Girl Scouts for some reason.
It's not just about having "the right parts". He'll always have the Y chromosome in every single cell of his, so he will always be a boy. This is the biological reality of it. Besides, any changes to his physical appearance will always be fake.

It actually seems like the mother wanted him in there more. I wouldn't be surprised if the mother is pushing some of this on him.

Pretend. That little girl isn't pretending, love. That's the difference there. You contradict yourself with "if I pretend" and "as long as I believe." Those two things just can't be really be used together. To answer your question, I suppose, yes, you could get admitted by simply pretending to be a girl, but the question is.. would you want to? I mean go ahead.. no one is stopping you. But really, would you want to?

The girl in this article is ignorant and wicked. It would affect her none that a transgender girl joined the Girl Scouts. It would affect no one. It would change nothing. They believe that they are girls just as much as the person next to them, so what's it going to hurt to let them live how they choose? You can't expect much from such a bigoted society, I suppose...
Are they actually a girl? No, then they are pretending. You all think though that as long he believes, then that makes them a girl (as demonstrated in the latter part of your post). There is no contradiction at all, because what I say is merely pretending, you say is believing. If I pretend/believe I am a girl, then according to you lot, I am.

And that doesn't seem absolutely ridiculous to you?

She opposes where the money from the sales of cookies will be spent, as do many others, judging by the article. Nice use of emotional language though dear.

You're comparing a psychological and mental type of change (and later physical) with a random thing like feathers and chickens, which is a more whimsical thing to do. Transgenders don't just decide "well, I'm supposed to be (opposite gender) so I'll do that now!" I imagine there's a lot of struggle and conflict with themselves before ever coming to that conclusion in the first place. As for your comparison, it's practically unrelated when you take into account what I just said. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from, but to me, you're trying to compare apples to oranges and it's just not working.
I could go through a psychological and mental type of change towards the path of becoming a transpeciest chicken, so it isn't unrelated. It's the same thing: a person pretending to be something they're not. It's still the same thing even if they've convinced themselves and everyone else around them that it's reality.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
It's not just about having "the right parts". He'll always have the Y chromosome in every single cell of his, so he will always be a boy. This is the biological reality of it. Besides, any changes to his physical appearance will always be fake.

It actually seems like the mother wanted him in there more. I wouldn't be surprised if the mother is pushing some of this on him.

Are they actually a girl? No, then they are pretending. You all think though that as long he believes, then that makes them a girl (as demonstrated in the latter part of your post). There is no contradiction at all, because what I say is merely pretending, you say is believing. If I pretend/believe I am a girl, then according to you lot, I am.

And that doesn't seem absolutely ridiculous to you?

She opposes where the money from the sales of cookies will be spent, as do many others, judging by the article. Nice use of emotional language though dear.

I could go through a psychological and mental type of change towards the path of becoming a transpeciest chicken, so it isn't unrelated. It's the same thing: a person pretending to be something they're not. It's still the same thing even if they've convinced themselves and everyone else around them that it's reality.

Article: female-to-male transsexuals have the physical brain of a male

Study: male-to-female transsexuals found to have the size of their BSTc more closely match females than males (Old I know, but these aren't like social statistics in that they change over time)

Another study showing that transsexuals have brains more closely relating to the opposite gender (this is the actual study, so the summary is at the bottom under Discussion where it's easier to understand)

You may not understand transsexualism, but it goes beyond the wish to pretend to be a girl. People who are transsexual honestly are women in men's bodies, or vice versa. It's not something they can control and to force a little boy who claims s/he's transgendered into joining the boy scouts instead of the girl scouts, where s/he wouldn't feel like s/he belonged since s/he feels like a girl, is pretty terrible. To you it may be just 'pretending' and no different from faking being a chicken, but it's not to people that actually understand it.

If the mom is pushing it and the child really doesn't feel that way, it's another matter altogether, something that would certainly be good to investigate because these things happen. But even if this specific case is the case of an overzealous mother (who knows, maybe she assumed transgender because he wore her shoes once, we can't tell from the articles), that doesn't change the point that transgenders should be allowed to join the scout group that they identify with, not be force to align with their biological sex.

Also, feeling fully like you are an animal is called clinical lycanthropy. As of now it has no protections like transgenders, but maybe you should be the ones to fight for them so you can be a chicken whenever you'd like? :P

Back