• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Nickelodeon getting any better?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
  • I remember watching Nickeloden a lot before when I was young. I would always watch Spongebob and that movie, Drake and Josh was there. Especially how Invader Zim was the bomb. Nickelodeon was once a show filled with unexpected comedy and twists in them.

But around 2005-2007, it slowly got sucky. I didn't like the Naked Brothers Band, it had no point. Zoey 101 was a lame excuse for teen drama for a Mary Sue, Spongebob lost his taste of comedy and his show. Most of those shows that were sucky around that time were mean spirited, especially that "toenail" and the "baby worms". OMG.

But around now, it's a bit better, but there's some shows that still suck. How to Rock I quickly stopped watching, iCarly is OK now, Marvin Marvin I'm giving a chance, and Victorious is getting annoying. And Spongebob is less irritating now.

But what are your views? Is Nick still away from its creativity now? Is it one of the channels that dropped like Disney?

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    I feel like once you move away from the cartoons, people start to like it less. Because that's primarily what Nick was known for, at least to me. Once they get all these live-action shows it's just not the same. I feel like once these people grow up with cartoons, they could just watch live-action shows on any other channel. I'm not saying Nick is bad these days, they just don't captivate their original audiences like they used to.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I feel like once you move away from the cartoons, people start to like it less. Because that's primarily what Nick was known for, at least to me. Once they get all these live-action shows it's just not the same. I feel like once these people grow up with cartoons, they could just watch live-action shows on any other channel. I'm not saying Nick is bad these days, they just don't captivate their original audiences like they used to.

Keep in mind that the Nostalgia Critic mentioned that Nickelodeon started off with live-action shows along with reruns of older cartoons until they start making Nicktoon shows. It looks like the channel is going back to its original roots (a channel dominated by mostly live action sitcoms), and they're airing their cartoons on a new channel: Nicktoons Network.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • The nostalgia factor have a big role in this.

But for me, I don't really like those live-action comedies myself. I prefer sitcoms. As for child programs, I prefer cartoons instead of live-action comedies.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    @Pinkie-Dawn: Well the shows I remember were like the game show type of shows on Nick Gas, which I don't consider to be like the sitcoms of today. As a 90s kid, my primary association with Nick was cartoons.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    My opinion on this is essentially the same as my post in the Cartoon Network thread, the post itself being here. Really, I'm not as fussed about Nick as much as I am about Cartoon Network. I enjoyed CN's cartoons more than Nickelodeon back in my youth anyway. As far as I am concerned, Nick become dead to me as soon as Jamie Lynn Spears got pregnant, lol.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    Hey, I love the Naked Brothers Band!

I think the only good shows on Nick are iCarly and Spongebob. iCarly was never boring to me, as it always made my day. Spongebob is just filled with my memories, down to the little holes he has on his spongy body. Besides those two, Nick sucks.

Blaze42

The Spirit of Chaos
    Years
  • Well Spongebob's getting better, I'm liking the new Ninja Turtles show... that's about it.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I think change is not only inevitable, but necessary. As our older generation of children that were used to silly cartoons are growing up, the stations they grew up with are starting to gradually mature as to appeal to that loyal audience. Newer stations, such as hub where shows such as My Little Pony are broadcast, are popping up that will appeal to our current generation of kids and this process will most likely repeat for the foreseeable future.

Years
  • Literally every time I turn on Nick, spongebob is on xD

Nick was my life when I was young. Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Rocket Power, Amanda Show, all those oldies I loved. I don't really watch Nick much anymore, but I still think its a good channel. The shows on there now like iCarly aren't that bad from what I've seen.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Nickelodeon's only saving grace these days are Legend of Korra and older SpongeBob episodes (before the release of the movie). I wish Nick would wake up and realize we want the old stuff back. I think it'd help views tremendously.

PS: That new SpongeBob Christmas special was awful and this was the first time in years I didn't get my fix of "Or his favorite underpants! -face slap-" and my childhood is W E E P I N G

Years
  • I don't have a TV with Nick on anymore, but I can still see some shows through Netflix.

A lot of them are painfully bad, and Nick where I am doesn't show any cartoons bar Spongebob, it's all awful life action shows. iCarly isn't too bad, at least it's funny.

In my opinion, Cartoon Network is the only channel(s) that are doing it right. (We don't have the Hub here, MLP was shown on a Cartoon Network channel for a little bit).

Back