• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stereotypes

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Do you think they're accurate often?
    Give a general opinion on them, if you'd like.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • Hum, I think they can be fitting, just not very often.
    The funny thing about stereotypes is that if you accept them, then you'll see people as the stereotype describes, and not as they are themselves.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I dont believe un stereotypes. People are all different, although you might think people might be like the stereotype describes, they often are not.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I don't think it's right to judge someone or a group of people as a whole considering, every one of us is different. In saying that however, I've never really developed much of an opinion on stereotypes, /shrug.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I think in certain situations they fit, but not in general.
    Maybe people subconsciously act like their stereotype, just because others keep saying the same stuff about a certain group over and over and over again...

Years
  • If you believe in them you're more likely to see them, but they aren't very accurate. You'll learn more about a person in ten seconds of talking with them than you will from any stereotype, even if they also fit every stereotype you've heard of.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • I think they're true enough for people to generalize entire groups of people with them, but not EVERYBODY fits into them. I know plenty of people from South Carolina who aren't total hicks, but I also know quite a few who have gotten farm animals for their birthdays and their trucks lifted to optimal muddin' height as anniversary presents.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Yes, I find them to be fairly accurate- but you have to consider when they were said, and in what situation. I'm Italian.. I love to eat and I love good food- though it's not that others don't.. but being brought up in a food-centered culture helps quite a bit. People in England love their tea. It's true. I've noticed it. Not everyone does, of course, but it's just much more common. Stuff like that.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I don't believe in stereotypes in the sense that every person is unique so the fact that a person belongs to one group does not mean that he or she will fit all of the stereotypes of that particular group.

That said though, stereotypes did come from somewhere. They didn't just appear out of thin air, and though stereotypes morph people into caricatures of their particular minority, that isn't to say that they're completely without merit. I do believe that everybody fits at least some of the stereotypes of their particular group, and if they say don't it's because they're suppressing it out of insecurity.

I, for instance, am gay. I don't fit most of the stereotypes that make up a gay person, but there are some that I definitely do. And I have no doubt that if I were a straight guy, some of those things would be different.

Back