• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Official September CoroCoro Discussion Thread -- Mega Evolutions, New Pokémon, More!

How do you feel about the Mega Evolutions?

• Total voters

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I'm slowly appreciating Ampharos and that weave... it reminds me of a flop version of that Electric/Dragon Smogon CAP Pokemon...

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Hmm. Earlier I LOATHED this idea... Now I'm warming up to it more. It's just something new. Huge change. But it could end up being a great new feature that we all love. We'll find out in just 2 months.

What other pokemon should get mega evolutions? Since the designs are just so bad ass, I'd like to see

MegaNinetales (Change to fire/psychic)

MegaMilotic (Change to water/fairy)

MegaGengar (Change to ghost/dark)

MegaZoroark

MegaCrobat

MegaHoundoom

MegaGirafirig (change to Psychic/Electric)

MegaPidgeot (change to Flying/Dragon)

MegaLapras

MegaStarmie

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
These are the questions going through my mind...

1. For pokemon like Absol and Mawile, does getting megas mean they will never get evolutions? Currently only pokemon which cannot evolve further have megas (for instance, Torchic and Combusken do not have megas.)

2. Because of this new heavy emphasis on megas, does this mean no past pokemon will get evolutions? Even-numbered generations had the pattern of introducing evos, but the fact that Mawile got a mega instead of an evolution makes me wonder.

3. Will the 14 past starters besides Blaziken also get megas? Torchic has been given bias in the past, such as being the only starter allowed in Amity Square, having its own wallpapers for the PC system; also, the fact that Blaziken+Latias was originally conceptualized as a single pokemon. The very fact that they're showing off Blaziken but no other starter already shows Gamefreak's bias to this pokemon.

My complaints:

1. Why couldn't Absol's mega be Dark/Psychic?

2. How can you attach a wooly mane onto a sheep/kangaroo and call it a dragon? Sounds like forced typing... al beit reminiscent to Altaria.

3. I wish these megas would start out only be used for pokemon like Ampharos, Pidgeot, Poliwrath... things that aren't that good, yet already reached their max evolutions. Giving it to pokemon that could still evolve (Mawile/Absol) seems unnecessary; and giving it to pokemon that are already top tier (Blaziken and Lucario) just widens the strength gap.

Coincidence:
In the past, I never liked that Ampharos lost its wool when evolving. I used to imagine how there could be wool coat item for it to hold, which would increase it's defenses. I'm really happy to see that Ampharos has a mega that has regained its wool.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Since this mostly concerns Mega Forms I'mma post this update from Serebii.

Serebii said:
Following yesterdays reveal of the new Pokémon, and the Mega Evolutions, some clear images have surfaced which showcase some of these Pokémon in battle. It also provides a few further bits of information. First, Pokémon can only Mega Evolve when they are holding a Mega Stone. It's not yet known whether the Mega Stone is one specific item, or a separate one such as the Blazikenite that the event Torchic holds. It also confirms that Mega Evolutions are temporary in battle.
It confirms that not all Pokémon will have Mega Evolutions. The Master Tower has a connection to Mega Evolutions
Finally, it also confirms that Super Training will increase Pokémon's "Kiso" Points. The translation of it indicates that this may be what we call EVs

Years
A little iffy on the 3 new pokes that were revealed. The new gym leader Koruni has an interesting design, and I can't help but think she may be a dark type user.

I love the designs for all the mega-evolutions, and I just hope enough of the right pokemon get them. The overall idea of mid-battle evo's that aren't permanent seem pretty cool to me.

Last edited:

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
I just thought of something else. I'm hoping for a MegaLuvdisc. Or at least a Luvdisc evolution. It's so pathetic, and it's stayed that way for three generations. They need to do SOMETHING for Luvdisc. Oh, and I'm calling it now, Luvdisc will be Fairy Type.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
These are the questions going through my mind...

1. For pokemon like Absol and Mawile, does getting megas mean they will never get evolutions? Currently only pokemon which cannot evolve further have megas (for instance, Torchic and Combusken do not have megas.)

2. Because of this new heavy emphasis on megas, does this mean no past pokemon will get evolutions? Even-numbered generations had the pattern of introducing evos, but the fact that Mawile got a mega instead of an evolution makes me wonder.

3. Will the 14 past starters besides Blaziken also get megas? Torchic has been given bias in the past, such as being the only starter allowed in Amity Square, having its own wallpapers for the PC system; also, the fact that Blaziken+Latias was originally conceptualized as a single pokemon. The very fact that they're showing off Blaziken but no other starter already shows Gamefreak's bias to this pokemon.

My complaints:

1. Why couldn't Absol's mega be Dark/Psychic?

2. How can you attach a wooly mane onto a sheep/kangaroo and call it a dragon? Sounds like forced typing... al beit reminiscent to Altaria.

3. I wish these megas would start out only be used for pokemon like Ampharos, Pidgeot, Poliwrath... things that aren't that good, yet already reached their max evolutions. Giving it to pokemon that could still evolve (Mawile/Absol) seems unnecessary; and giving it to pokemon that are already top tier (Blaziken and Lucario) just widens the strength gap.

Coincidence:
In the past, I never liked that Ampharos lost its wool when evolving. I used to imagine how there could be wool coat item for it to hold, which would increase it's defenses. I'm really happy to see that Ampharos has a mega that has regained its wool.

Part 1:
1. Probably. With them getting Megalutions, I do not see them evolving anymore.
2. No, because if they were going to throw out old pokemon to get evolutions, they wouldn't have given Eevee another one.
3. I would say that every starter will get one in time. But maybe not all this generation.

Part 2:
1. I do not know this, but I have to agree. They should have given Absol a dual type to go with the rest in my opinion.
2. I honestly think they liked the fan art that someone made forever ago. It looked almost exactly like the fan art.
3. I agree with this. I think Mawile at least should have gotten an Evo before Mega, however at least normal Mawile is Steel/Fairy as well. This is probably being because they did not want to evolve some stand alone pokemon. They probably could change it up a little and actually give Mawile a evo later on, but I doubt it. Right now people are thinking they are truly evolutions and not just forms, though the fan site confirm that it is only a in battle form. We will not know 100% until we get more info.

Also the fan art I am talking about for Ampharos is somewhere in this thread or the Biggest scope thread, but it is near the start I think. If I can find it, I may repost it here.

THANK GOD!!! I was so not wanting those pokemon to be in the dex. I am so so glad they are just forms. Now we don't have to consider those new pokemon and the are just battle forms

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 21, 2014
Since this mostly concerns Mega Forms I'mma post this update from Serebii.

So it is Supposed to be temporary In a battle like 2 to 3 turns and then they change back to normal? Oh God..Im not a genwunner But If this "Mega Evolution" Is as bad as it sounds I may have to change into One

aonshinzo

TheCoolestTentacool
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2014
It's confirmed their only temporary form changes and are battle exclusives and that not all pokemon will receive them. There's also updated screenshots and.....they really look even better in battle. Go to Serebii :)

Years
personally I hope that it turns out they used that enormous cartridge space to put mega evolutions in for every single fully evolved pokemon. that'd be awesome, and it'd bring the effective count above 1000

Infinite Latios

Champion
Years
So it is Supposed to be temporary In a battle like 2 to 3 turns and then they change back to normal? Oh God..Im not a genwunner But If this "Mega Evolution" Is as bad as it sounds I may have to change into One

Nah, I think it'll be a little more like Meloetta's Pirouette Forme. Like, you can change back whenever you want, but you can't have it be mega form out of battle and you have to do something to transform it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Part 1:
1. Probably. With them getting Megalutions, I do not see them evolving anymore.
2. No, because if they were going to throw out old pokemon to get evolutions, they wouldn't have given Eevee another one.
3. I would say that every starter will get one in time. But maybe not all this generation.

Part 2:
1. I do not know this, but I have to agree. They should have given Absol a dual type to go with the rest in my opinion.
2. I honestly think they liked the fan art that someone made forever ago. It looked almost exactly like the fan art.
3. I agree with this. I think Mawile at least should have gotten an Evo before Mega, however at least normal Mawile is Steel/Fairy as well. This is probably being because they did not want to evolve some stand alone pokemon. They probably could change it up a little and actually give Mawile a evo later on, but I doubt it. Right now people are thinking they are truly evolutions and not just forms, though the fan site confirm that it is only a in battle form. We will not know 100% until we get more info.

Also the fan art I am talking about for Ampharos is somewhere in this thread or the Biggest scope thread, but it is near the start I think. If I can find it, I may repost it here.

glorious_by_feniiku-d6h7akz.jpg

I must share the Gloriousness of Fabiphros with the world~

I had posted it so I thought I'd do you a favor and get it for ya.

Years
Nah, I think it'll be a little more like Meloetta's Pirouette Forme. Like, you can change back whenever you want, but you can't have it be mega form out of battle and you have to do something to transform it.

yea you need to give it an item to hold, and then expose it to a sort of mega evolutionary stone. so itll be semi-perminant at the least

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
Years
I had a thought...
there are many pokemon who can only evolve via an elemental stone....
Will there be a different aspect in those cases?
Like will Growlithe get the mega form instead of arcanine or maybe both?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I think we found the Rock type Gym Leader...since she deals with the Mega Stones and Mega Evolution, I think she'll be some kinda Rock type Gym Leader. Seems appropriate as some Rock Gym leaders and even ground types are seen as stone investigators or dealing with a mine/quarry.

Years
I just hope there's more to it than "Give it this stone". If each mon with a mega-evo has its own stone (like Torchic, and the blaziken-knight) I wouldn't mind only if they made the items really hard to obtain, but it just seems too easy.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm gonna ignore the Mega forms in this thread and focus on the new Pokemon.

Dedenne is like Raichu meets Hamtaro, it's so cute! It looks like we have this generation's Pikachu clone.

Horubii is kind of ugly, but it's not bad, but maybe it's a dust bunny. Gogoat's pre- evo is cute though I like it a lot.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I would like to post this here as Xander did in the "Mega Pokemon..." thread.

Following yesterdays reveal of the new Pokémon, and the Mega Evolutions, some clear images have surfaced which showcase some of these Pokémon in battle. It also provides a few further bits of information. First, Pokémon can only Mega Evolve when they are holding a Mega Stone. It's not yet known whether the Mega Stone is one specific item, or a separate one such as the Blazikenite that the event Torchic holds. It also confirms that Mega Evolutions are temporary in battle.
It confirms that not all Pokémon will have Mega Evolutions. The Master Tower has a connection to Mega Evolutions
It also confirms stat increases, stating that MegaLucario's Attack is higher. MegaAbsol has increased Attack & Speed. Finally, it also confirms that Super Training will increase Pokémon's "Kiso" Points. The translation of it indicates that this may be what we call EVs
05:33: Next month's CoroCoro to feature new Pokémon, new Mega Evolutions and type chart featuring the Fairy-type

The Megas are only forms and do not actually count as new pokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I had a thought...
there are many pokemon who can only evolve via an elemental stone....
Will there be a different aspect in those cases?
Like will Growlithe get the mega form instead of arcanine or maybe both?

Its fully evolved Pokemon, so it would be just Arcanine if the Stone evolvers can get one.

Right now I'm only ruling out those with form changes right now as they already have form changes. Giving a form change to a form change is kinda redundant.

I'll go ahead and say some gimmick Pokemon won't get it either like Ditto and maybe Smeargle since their gimmick is more based on their attacks.

I'd be willing to say Zoroark won't get one...but I really want to see it with one -w-;;

Back