• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Official September CoroCoro Discussion Thread -- Mega Evolutions, New Pokémon, More!

How do you feel about the Mega Evolutions?

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • I hope they show some more Mega starters. A Mega Samurrot can be Water/Fighting and be standing fully upright. Megatorterra can have a large vine around it's neck that resembles a snake to up it's genbu like looks...or Maybe make Mega Blastoise like Genbu as Genbu is water (not earth or wood, those are the East and Central dragons (center only appears in china mythology)).

MegaCharzard can be Fire/Dragon. Megavenusaur can be Grass/Dragon, and while they at it Blastoise can be Water/Dragon too.

Oh and Megatyplosion should be Fire/Fighting...it sounds trolly enough for GF considering all the Fire starters with that typing (it's not a bad typing either).

I want to see MegaGardevoir, and MegaGallade too.

Renegade

Time for real life...
    Years
  • This looks like it is aimed strictly at competitive online multiplayer battle, which I am not really into...

But, I do like the new mechanic. It seems like it could add a lot more strategy and planning into competitive battling. We won't know exactly until it is live, eh?~
    Also, they mega forms look pretty cool to me :3

Nakala Pri

This is so great! I love it! I am a little bummed out that they changed the old Pokemon to something more advanced, but at least we can still get normal ones if we want, eh? :D

I feel Meekuru looks the best out of all of them, because one is basically a rabbit and the other is just a fat Raichu. BUT WOWZA! I still think they all rock and I am so psyched for X/Y!

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • Wow, talk about a major buzz kill. If those "Mega" forms weren't temporary then I wouldn't even bother playing the game. Guess I'll still give it a try though.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I'm not liking the look of this... Only a few Pokémon will have Mega forms. This could ruin competitive battling since it'll make some Pokémon incredibly overpowered. Like, Absol doesn't really need any more Attack than it has, the only thing that hinders his sweeping potential is his Speed.

I'm hopeful all the starters will have these forms. Hopefully Charizard stops being at the butt of Stealth Rock jokes. And a Mega Infernape would be pretty boss.

What will receive Mega treatment? We can guess.

I think Sableye is a candidate. He's Mawile's counterpart after all.

We can also be certain at least one 6th gen Pokémon will get a Mega form. Which one, it's unknown. Maybe a Pokémon that has yet to be revealed.

They've given Mega forms to Blaziken and Lucario, but I'm sure they won't give it to a pseudo-legendary. Neither of them need it. All of them are in either OU or Uber tier. Although here I make a statement: do NOT take Smogon tiers as base for what needs or doesn't need a Mega form. GF doesn't work with Smogon tiers, although I'm sure they analyze wifi battles to see what needs a buff. And I'm also sure they work with primarily the Japanese metagame, which may differ from Smogon's rules (Smogonites will hate me for saying this, but who cares).

I also make the prediction that Mawile will jump to OU as a hard Dragon counter. They want it to be a Dragon counter, or else they wouldn't have given it the Fairy treatment, and, considering it already resists Dragon, and might quadruple resist it if Fairy ends up also resisting Dragon, as well as getting a Mega form, it's easy to see where they want the metagame to go.

I hope the localization translates "Mega" into "Elder" or something like that. It would make more sense and sound less tacky IMO.

Finally, boosting Pokémon with items is not unheard of in Pokémon. Pikachu is boosted by Light Ball and Cubone/Marowak, by Thick Club. The difference is that this time the items change appearance as well, hinting that they may need to be activated in battle somehow. There must be a drawback to using these forms or else it's just like booster items.

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Just so people know. Here are clearer pictures:
    Spoiler:

And more info

Not all Pokemon have Mega Evolutions.
    In order to Mega Evolve the eligible Pokemon needs to be holding the Mega Stone.
    As predicted the Mega Pokemon appear in battles only.
    Mega Evolutions have increased stats, with CoroCoro citing two examples: Mega Lucario has higher Attack and Mega Absol has higher Attack and Speed. Mega Mewtwo has higher Speed .
    The Blazikenite item cannot be found through normal gameplay.
    The Super Training area allows you to increase your Pokemon's "Kiso Points." These are probably what we fans have been calling EVs all these years going by what our source said about the facility increasing EVs.
    A new area called the Master Tower is related to Mega Evolutions.
    The next CoroCoro will feature the new type chart reflecting the Fairy-type, new Pokemon, and new Mega Evolutions.

After looking at the clearer art, I'm liking Lucario's more. And the fact that Pokemon Mega Evolve by hold the Mega Stone and that it only appears in battle, make me more okay with Megas. If you don't want to Mega evolve a Pokemon, than you can clearly choose not to and keep their original forms. Alot of the Pokemon known to Mega Evolve so far don't really need a boost , but I've always wanted a Absol and Mawile evolution so I might Mega evolve those two.

I'm curious to see what other Pokemon get Mega evolutions. Sableye is likely but I hope there's still normal evolutions of older Pokemon.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    If this MegaBlaziken is real, then we need a MegaSceptile and a MegaSwampert as well.

I'd also like MegaRaichu, MegaGolem, and MegaSableye, among others. However, I hope the Pokemon who get Mega forms can't use the Eviolite.

There are, however, Megas I don't want to see. Those include all legendaries (except Mew and Mewtwo), Skarmory, Blissey, Jellicent, and Ditto.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • If this MegaBlaziken is real, then we need a MegaSceptile and a MegaSwampert as well.

I'd also like MegaRaichu, MegaGolem, and MegaSableye, among others. However, I hope the Pokemon who get Mega forms can't use the Eviolite.

There are, however, Megas I don't want to see. Those include all legendaries (except Mew and Mewtwo), Skarmory, Blissey, Jellicent, and Ditto.

It's real.

And I'm thinking basically all fully evolved starters from all regions should receive Mega Forms.
    I also wanna see Mega Luxray and Mega Dunsparce, poor lil guy nees it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Those MEGA Pokemon seem... original? I don't really know how to see this feature...
    I wonder if those MEGA Pokemon will be part of Kalos Pokedex or Kalos will have its set of Pokemon and MEGA Pokemon will stay only as Pokemon forms.
    MEGA Lucario looks badass =D

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • If this MegaBlaziken is real, then we need a MegaSceptile and a MegaSwampert as well.

When they do Sceptile
    they better make it less hideous...
    Going from grovyle to that....horrible.
    Grovyle has a much better appearance

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • When they do Sceptile
    they better make it less hideous...
    Going from grovyle to that....horrible.
    Grovyle has a much better appearance

Your the first person I hear call Sceptile ugly...

MegaSceptile should be Grass/Dragon and has longer sword like arms.

MegaSwampert...I actually have no idea how a MegaSwampert may look... maybe taller with larger "fins" and more bulky looking.

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
    Years
  • So basically this is like Super Saiyan. It's still a blaziken but in battle it powers up. It's okay I guess. They could have at least only given mega forms to one or two stage pokemon only. What's with the mini Raichu? Also, where the f@ck is mega charizard? Give me now!

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Ampharos looks more like Super Saiyan than anything else. What will be the next thing if it's not all of the scoop ? Being able to have Trainers fusing with pokemons ? Or why not have like 6 of your pokemons in your party becoming 1 pokemon with parts of all the other pokemons.

rageahollic33

Roserade is the best
    Years
  • I think the Mega Evolutions look really cool. and I'm glad Pokemon is doing something different for once. But Amphros's mega evolution is a electric dragon? that's weird to me it looks more like an electric fairy than electric dragon.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    What ability/new type we want for the mega starters (This list will be updated when you say what you want from them):
    MegaCharizard: Something that helps it against rock-types
    MegaBlastoise: Crunch, Shell Smash, and reliable recovery
    MegaTyphlosion: Different stat spread than MegaCharizard
    MegaFeraligatr: Sheer Force, higher Attack and Speed
    MegaSceptile: Higher Attack
    MegaBlaziken: Speed Boost
    MegaSwampert: Sap sipper
    MegaTorterra: Shell Smash
    MegaInfernape: Iron Fist
    MegaEmpoleon: Better bulk and/or Speed
    MegaSerperior: Contrary, more attacking moves
    MegaSamurott: Higher Attack and Speed, and more physical moves like Earthquake and Sacred Sword

Last edited:

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • I think the Mega Evolutions look really cool. and I'm glad Pokemon is doing something different for once. But Amphros's mega evolution is a electric dragon? that's weird to me it looks more like an electric fairy than electric dragon.

Well ya see, it's all to do with Ampharos' Japanese name, Denryu
    Denryu can have 2 meanings depending on the Kana used.
    It's first meaning is Electric Current.
    And it's second meaning, is Electric Dragon. (the Ryu part)

So yeah, it was a Dragon in name since it was first introduced, and now it's dragon in type.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • Ampharos looks more like Super Saiyan than anything else. What will be the next thing if it's not all of the scoop ? Being able to have Trainers fusing with pokemons ? Or why not have like 6 of your pokemons in your party becoming 1 pokemon with parts of all the other pokemons.

Digimon Tamers and Digimon Xros?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Awesome. With the confirmation of Mega Pokemon being a temporary, in-battle "transformation," some of my concerns have gone away. Not all, of course, but I'm definitely more okay with them now.

But this does raise the question: now that Pokemon like Mawile and Absol have Mega forms, how likely is it that they get actual evolutions in the future? My only disappointment with this would be to see Mawile never have a real evolution just because it has a Mega form!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Reminds me of the Mega items in Monster Hunter. I'm willing to see where the idea goes; I like the designs, anyway. I think it's a concept best applied to weak monsters with no evolutionary relatives like Farfetch'd and Mawile... of course there will be MegaMawile, definitely going to be on my team. If this is indeed an in-battle transformation, then my foremost hope about it is that it doesn't cost a turn, or there goes my HP.

Last edited:
    Back