• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports The Football Discussion Thread!

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
  • Rumours doing he rounds that Norwich have put a 5 million pound bid in for Ross McCormack. I suppose with Becchio probably off somewhere we'd still have to fill our ex-Leeds player quota. WACCOE went into meltdown when we took Becchio, wonder what would happen this time.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2015
    If there is going to be a re-vote it'll probably go to United States. Australia sounds nice, but timezone difference is a severe hindrance. It's only going to be 20 years since us and Japan have hosted the World Cup, so we won't get it, either.

I'd prefer to see it in the US than Qatar. The US is definitely better prepared for it. I think it was a farce you didn't get it in the first place

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Looking forward to Mexico today, it'll be interesting to see what they can do with so many key players injured during friendlies leading up to the tournament. I was confident they could make it out of the first round, they have a fairly strong record against Brazil, but now I'm not so sure. I really don't want all the work they did turning themselves around to have been for nothing.

Aeroblast said:
    If there is going to be a re-vote it'll probably go to United States. Australia sounds nice, but timezone difference is a severe hindrance. It's only going to be 20 years since us and Japan have hosted the World Cup, so we won't get it, either.

The United States would be the optimal choice to host a World Cup if it's stripped from Qatar. You already have most of the infrastructure in place. Though I don't like the idea of having matches in (American) football stadiums, that definitely needs to change. As long as it's not in Qatar, I'll be happy, that time differential, not to mention the heat, would make for horrible conditions.

I am surprised it's taken so long for anything to happen. It's already known Jack Warner took a very dubious $2 million payment from a source linked with the bidding committee.

Hikamaru said:
    I know how my Australian cohorts will be fearing Brazil should we finish second in our group and they finish first in theirs. No-one loves facing those football-mad Brazilians.

Oh, and I watched a bit of the match between Brazil and Croatia. It was Brazil taking the victory in the end, winning 3-1. I gotta try and tune into SBS tomorrow for when Australia has its first game against Chile, which I think is likely the only I even think we have a chance to scrape through.

That's the nightmare that comes when your nation gets drawn in a group with two major European powerhouses, the two that happened to be the 2010 World Cup finalists nonetheless. When I heard about getting pitted with the Netherlands and Spain I said to myself "face it my Socceroos are gonna exit in the group stage".

I think there's just a lot of pressure on the refs to push things in Brazil's favor. During the game yesterday it seemed any call that could go in their favor did, with that penalty being the biggest offender of them all. Though even with that penalty goal out of the way, there were two very clean goals that ensured Brazil's victory regardless of the situation.

Australia definitely found themselves in an unlucky position, which seems to be the case with a lot of up and coming teams. I'm guessing today's game is the only shot at three decent points either team is going have and I gotta wonder how that's going to reflect on their play style.

Years
  • I'd prefer to see it in the US than Qatar. The US is definitely better prepared for it. I think it was a farce you didn't get it in the first place

Yeah, it was so appalling when I heard about Qatar winning the bid. If they were to be stripped of the hosting rights I'm happy with the US hosting it. It'll look pretty interesting in my opinion, but hey I agree with Ryoutarou - that heat will definitely take toll on the players unless if they held it in winter.

Years
  • Well the fifa plot thickens, beckenbeur refuses to co-operate.

Mexico really deserve this win, I can't believe the decisions going against them so far. Loving Hector Herrera so far.

Also looks like we're going to be seeing no more of kei kamara apparently we've not helped with his malaria situation. I mean he was probably going before this, but now it's certain. Not sure what we can do if he's in Kansas though to be honest. I think he'll be happy back there anyway.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
    Years
  • So 2 goals. That potential pen, would have been soft but there was contact and even that isn't required this summer. Also that Cameroon elbow.

At least we get to see Adrian Chiles hitting on Fabio Cannavaro some more.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    The Mexico-Cameroon match wasn't too bad actually, A lot better than the second half of Brazil-Croatia. Interested to see what Chile-Australia and Spain-Netherlands will turn out.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    At least this ref knows how to call a correct penalty. Enjoying this game so far.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    And Arjen Robben makes it 2-1. This is getting good.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    AND IT'S 4-1 NOW! Iker Casillas what are you doing???

Back