• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What if ORAS were never made?

Years
So, I made a topic like this on B2W2 around half a year ago, and the general reaction to that was that if those games had never existed, most of those people would most likely not have liked Generation V as much as they do now. So today, i'm asking the same thing with ORAS - what if they never came into existence at all? Do you think you would have tried to give RSE more of a chance than you do if you weren't a fan of it then? Or if you're still a fan of these now would you have played them more? Given that XY's reception has changed quite a bit since their launch, I do wonder what people might think.

I don't know if this topic belongs in the ORAS forum, but I post it here so I can try to see what people think and if they would still favor RSE as they do. Anyway, discuss.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
My love for Hoenn does absolutely not come from ORAS, it existed long before those games were even announced. I'm not really able to compare the two, because I haven't played ORAS (yet). But I've seen others playing it and it really looked neat. The only thing I really missed in RSE was the lack of an aftergame, but ORAS set that right with the Delta Episode and the DexNav.
I'm still playing the third gen mostly but switch often between Hoenn and Kanto, and I don't think ORAS has influenced the ratio between the two.

Years
Hoenn was the first region I played in. I still play Sapphire and Emerald. If nothing, I'll probably spend more time in RSE than ORAS.
3rd gen is the best one ^^

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
I'd still play RSE. Shit, I'll still probably play Emerald anyway - there's just too much missing from ORAS (especially the Battle Frontier) to justify never playing it again. Not to mention the more balanced Exp. Share in RSE.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
I didn't like Ruby/Sapphire when they first came out, but over time I learned to love them. If anything, I was really against a remake being made since Ruby/Sapphire were such wonderful games that they didn't really need remakes. It's not like Gen 1 and 2 which even though I grew up with, I can't really defend these days. Those two games needed updates, but Ruby/Sapphire held up extremely well. The only thing I can really say about Ruby/Sapphire that hasn't aged well is they aren't very newcomer friendly. There are a lot of traps in that game that can make the ending parts very difficult, and I get the feeling most people who try it out these days just get frustrated and quit.

I'm glad the remakes exist though, because it's been really nice seeing a sudden increase of fanart for Hoenn Pokemon and characters. Nobody even remembered who Winona was until recently. I also really like all the Sugimori artwork for the Ruby/Sapphire NPCs. It's also nice that a somewhat easier version of R/S exists for kids to play. I think the remakes have overall been a good thing for Hoenn fandom, but I'll still stick to the originals. They're a little more challenging, I like Gen III mechanics, and I prefer the entirely sprite based artwork of them.

Years
I don't think I would have ever given Hoenn a chance again if it wasn't for the existence of OR/AS because I recall Hoenn always having some hard parts, particularly towards the end plus the region would have felt outdated had it not gotten the 6th Gen upgrade so that it was made relevant with the other regions that already had modern mechanics.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
Years
I liked the remakes more than the originals, not too big a fan of RSE. I like XY more than ORAS tho, but Im glad the remakes exist. They made Gen 3 and Gen 6 feel stronger.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I love the Hoenn region since 2002, nostalgia memories and stuff. :')
OrAs didn't affect my love for the Hoenn, more or less.
I see OrAs as a retold Hoenn saga, meaning they are canon on their own without affecting each other; gotta praise how the story writers made Zinna said RS/OrAs are parallel universe.

So yeah, I love Hoenn as a whole. <3

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
I enjoyed both the originals and the remakes! Both were really fun to playthrough and I've played them both a lot. that being said I invested way more time into RSE and have so much nostalgia for it. I don't think ORAS could ever have lived up to my expectations of it honestly, and one thing that really bugged me about it was Mauville, lol.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
After Silver, Emerald is probably my favorite main Pokemon game. The story comes to completion and then there's still the Battle Frontier to conquer...Never managed to get all the gold medals unfortunately. So damn difficult :P
The fact that ORAS exists is a nice bonus, but it didn't change my opinion on Gen 3 or Hoenn.

Back