• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Missed yesterday's. Hope everyone is okay with me commenting on Bulbasaur lol:

Bulbasaur:

Ah, my very first starter. It's also one of my Pokemon I used to beat my very first mainline Pokemon game (which is obviously Red) and I loved the evolutionary line especially Venusaur. I loved its appearance in the Pokemon Adventures manga.
  • May's Bulbasaur in the anime had heart-shaped head markings. What sort of head markings would you want your Bulbasaur to have, and why?
    Honestly, I prefer the regular head markings. If I have no choice a star one would do well.
  • Did Bulbasaur's reputation as easy to train for beginners prompt you to choose it for your starter the first time you played Red/Blue or Fire Red/Leaf Green?
    No, i just chose it because I liked it compared with Squirtle and Charmander and it's cute.
  • What sort of plant bulb do you think Bulbasaur has, and what would it taste like?
    Probably bitter in taste. For the plant bulb it would definitely grow into a flower or if not, it can be used for seed attacks like Leech Seed (reference: Pokemon Adventures manga)

Marill
Closest thing I used is a variant of it in a ROM hack. Marill is really cute and I loved Azumarill too.
  • Did you refer to Marill as "Pikablu" before it's official reveal, and did you believe any of the rumours about how to obtain it in Gen I titles?
    No, because at that time I don't even know what Pikablu is. I knew it was Marill due to the Orange Islands anime though.
  • What do you think of Marill's early concept art? Is it better or worse than the final design?
    After seeing it on Google Images, nah, no thanks. I prefer the final design since I grew up with it.
  • What is your opinion of Marill's re-classification to a dual Water/Fairy type? Does the added type suit it?
    I'm actually surprised it got an additional Fairy type, but it kind of suits it since it's cute and I think Azumarill fits the Fairy type, so it makes sense for the Marill line to have the Fairy typing.

pkmin3033

265 - WURMPLE

265Wurmple.png

"It sticks to tree branches and eats leaves. The thread it spits from its mouth, which becomes gooey when it touches air, slows the movement of its foes."

Our third Pokemon of the Day is Wurmple! Sharing Caterpie's classification as a Worm Pokemon, Wurmple performs much the same role in the third generation titles, being a bug-type Pokemon most commonly found at lower levels along the earlier routes. Wurmple is the only Pokemon whose branching evolution is influenced by its personality value, an invisible stat that players can't influence. Wurmple was also used by both Jessie and May in the Hoenn anime, taking separate branching evolutionary pathways for each of them by becoming a Dustox for the former and a Beautifly for the latter. It was also a prominent member of the ominously named Team Tasty in the second Mystery Dungeon spinoff titles, in which it spent most of its time worrying that its Swellow team mate was going to devour it at some point.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Wurmple! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What is your opinion of Wurmple's way of evolving? Is this something you would change if given the opportunity, to allow players to choose instead?
  • If you used Wurmple in the games, did it evolve into the Pokemon you wanted? If it didn't, did you make the most of what you got, or catch another (or its evolved form) and use that instead?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I surprisingly enough am using the Wurmple line in one of my nuzruns. I wanted Dustox because it gets confusion and is more defensive. I got Beautifly insted, but thankfully it gets Gust as it's level 10 move in that game, I've always thought it learns Absorb at that level(if I'm wrong don't judge me.). Thanks to having a +Sp.Attk nature she's pretty much doing better than a normal Beautifly, which is a good thing.

I'm not really a fan of Wurmple's evolving method, while it can be fun sometimes it's a bit random, I feel it could have been split by genders or something like that.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
In my opinion, Wurmple is just a slightly more innovative version of Caterpie and Weedle. What makes this thing unique is that its branched evolutions evolve further, and its evolution can only be determined by its personality value. That's kind of about it.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Ah, Wurmple. I remembered when the first time I tried to evolve it I got a Dustox instead, good times.

• What is your opinion of Wurmple's way of evolving? Is this something you would change if given the opportunity, to allow players to choose instead?
    Considering that it's random, I'm okay with it and it's a pretty interesting different idea.
  • If you used Wurmple in the games, did it evolve into the Pokemon you wanted? If it didn't, did you make the most of what you got, or catch another (or its evolved form) and use that instead?
    I wanted to get Beautifly but I got a Dustox instead. I didn't make the most since I can might as well find a Silcoon instead in order to get Beautifly.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018

1. I like it, but it really sucks for someone who gets a shiny. It'd be cool if there was a way to choose, so you'd be able to get the one you prefer.
2. Never really used, and I never bothered with evolving it anyway. I just went to the forest to capture Silcoon or Cascoon directly, lol.

Anyway the first thing I was reminded of when I saw it was Wurmple today, was the one I received over Wonder Trade some time ago who was named Mr. Cuddles.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
What is your opinion of Wurmple's way of evolving? Is this something you would change if given the opportunity, to allow players to choose instead?
I think it's pretty creative, and I don't think I would change it. I think more Pokemon should have unique ways of evolving and I hope we see that in future games.

If you used Wurmple in the games, did it evolve into the Pokemon you wanted? If it didn't, did you make the most of what you got, or catch another (or its evolved form) and use that instead?
I usually got Beautifly but I would have been content with a Dustox. But, I haven't really used either too significantly.

pkmin3033

I've never actually used Wurmple before...I stopped using the early route bug-type after Butterfree, haha. Although I do like Dustox's design. The problem is the whole personality thing; I never wanted to catch one and use it because I couldn't guarantee I was actually going to get what I wanted. Probably the only way I'd use it would be if I did a monotype or a Nuzlocke run, and since I'm not one for challenges and whatnot...

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
I've never actually used Wurmple before...I stopped using the early route bug-type after Butterfree, haha. Although I do like Dustox's design. The problem is the whole personality thing; I never wanted to catch one and use it because I couldn't guarantee I was actually going to get what I wanted. Probably the only way I'd use it would be if I did a monotype or a Nuzlocke run, and since I'm not one for challenges and whatnot...

I agree, the only early type bug Pokemon i like is Caterpie's line, though Sewaddle is changing that. As for Wurmple, I never tried it because I personally wasn't a fan of the line in general, though if i had to choose I liked Beautifly more. Plus i always have the worst luck when it comes to Pokemon like Wurmple and their evolution. Since I don't recapture Pokemon I already have or search forever for the right one, unless for trades, I usually just choose not to capture said Pokemon in the first place if its a Pokemon like Wurmple, such as Ralts and Snorunt lines

Years
tumblr_mra84olCEd1s5h198o1_400.gif

Partying aside, I was never a big fan of Wurmple, but then again, it took me a long time to warm up to Bug type Pokemon in general.

And I have to agree with you Meloetta- I never wanted to catch a Wurmple and end up getting a Beautifly/Dustox, when I wanted the other one instead. That said, I had a Dustox on my most recent playthrough of Sapphire that was pretty good, but I just caught a Cascoon and levelled it up so I knew what I was getting.

pkmin3033

075 - GRAVELER

9kkD3pH.png

"Rolls down slopes to move. It rolls over any obstacle without slowing or changing its direction."

Our fourth Pokemon of the Day is Graveler! The evolved form of Geodude, Graveler has been in every main title except for Black and White, and is commonly found in caves and on mountains towards the end of the game, and is often used by Hikers. It's favourite things include rolling down slopes, eating rocks, and using Selfdestruct on trainers if they can't defeat it on their first turn. Which, thanks to its Sturdy ability, they usually can't. It can also float somehow. Graveler has never had a major appearance in the anime, usually acting in a minor antagonistic role towards our heroes or being the loyal subjects of a larger, more powerful rock/ground-type Pokemon, typically Onix.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Graveler! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Ever had a Graveler Selfdestruct on you in the wild with disastrous consequences before?
  • As Graveler only evolves via trading, have you ever been stuck with one in your final team due to a lack of trade partners?
  • What sort of rock do you think Graveler's body is made from?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
As Graveler only evolves via trading, have you ever been stuck with one in your final teams due to a lack of trade partners?

Yes. I guess we can all relate to this. Once, in Black, but it didn't really matter for it wasn't in my main run. I did, however, get a Golem in HeartGold, though. I forgot who I traded it with.

What sort of rock do you think Graveler's body is made from?

Gravel...I guess?
A good guess is the same rock Geodude is made of, plus a few more materials.

Also, I'm a little confused about how Graveler, which has four arms, evolves from and to something with two arms.

PageEmp

Years
Surprisingly enough, after nuzzing for like 2 and a half years, I don't think I have ever had a major priblem with an exploding Graveler, I don't think it bothered me much in regular play either. But unless you care I had explosion cases with Geodude. But neither cases were that important.

I beleive when I first used a Graveler I had access to 2 consoles to trade. So yeah, I've always evolved it.

pkmin3033

I actually used one in my last Fire Red file, which was on my Gameboy Micro. My old GBAs have vanished into the ether along with my link cables, so I was stuck with Graveler for the whole game. It wasn't so bad, though...it blew up a few things for me. I relied on my Dragonite for most of that game though, so after a certain point it didn't see much action. xD

I always ran from Gravelers in the fourth gen. Too many blew up in my face and made me trek back to the nearest Pokemon Center, which is very counterproductive when levelling.

I want to know how it can FLOAT, though.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
EDIT: I'm blind

Graveler is a pokemon that I used on my first team until I raged at it and threw it out. I don't use Rock types often. I don't like things blowing up in my face. I don't like gen 5 Sturdy mechanics.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Okay, okay, okay Meloetta. I don't know about this one...

Ever had a Graveler Selfdestruct on you in the wild with disastrous consequences before?
Yes, but not with disastrous consequences. I didn't appreciate it doing that, and it made me feel bad inside.

As Graveler only evolves via trading, have you ever been stuck with one in your final team due to a lack of trade partners?
Nope. I don't think I've ever looked at a Geodude and said "Huh, I could use a Graveler!" That said, given the opportunity, I'd probably just evolve it into a Golem. I do have a Graveler for my living dex, but I'm not at the stage where I'm ready to give it love. I think all this negativity towards it makes me want to rethink that and give it a try.

What sort of rock do you think Graveler's body is made from?
I think it's a composite of gravel, made from granite, basalt, quartz, and limestone.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Oh boy, it's Graveler. I know I pointed this out before but it's my least favorite Pokemon (but I don't hate it) because it is the cause of my only 2 deaths in my Blue Randomizer Nuzlocke run via 2 OHKO moves in Full HP.

However, I did use a Graveler in one ROM hack and surprise surprise, it helped me in one Poison Gym. Sadly though it's still my least favorite and I'll still deposit him in the PC soon.

• Ever had a Graveler Selfdestruct on you in the wild with disastrous consequences before?
    Yes, and this one caused one of my deaths in my aforementioned Blue Randomizer Nuzlocke run. Or is it Explosion?
  • As Graveler only evolves via trading, have you ever been stuck with one in your final team due to a lack of trade partners?
    No.
  • What sort of rock do you think Graveler's body is made from?
    I like to think of it as small rocks combining into a huge one, making Explosion to cause all the small rocks to break out.

pkmin3033

567 - ARCHEOPS

9lD5aBV.png

"It runs better than it flies. It takes off into the sky by running at a speed of 25 mph."

Our fifth Pokemon of the Day is Archeops! One of the two new Fossil Pokemon introduced in Gen V, Archeops is the evolved form of Archen, which is revived from the Plume Fossil. Unfortunately for this feathered dinosaur, it is ill-equipped for life in the Pokemon fandom, and may have been better off extinct. With the sole exception of a single anime appearance - in which it was shown trying (and failing) to adjust to life in the modern world - Archeops has been largely ignored since its introduction. In the games, this is mostly thanks to its rather useless Defeatist ability, which halves its stats when its HP drops below 50%, making it ill-suited for battling.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences (if you have any!) of Archeops! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• When given the choice, did you choose the Plume Fossil?
  • What ability would you give Archeops to make it a more useful Pokemon?
  • Which bird Pokemon do you think is most likely to be the modern counterpart of Archeops?

Slightly earlier today since I'll be out for half the day today and probably won't get another chance to post until late afternoon. Also RNG hates me with this

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Now THIS is an amazing choice!

When given the choice, did you choose the Plume Fossil?
Oh yea, definitely! Archen is a pretty adorable bird Pokemon, so I just had to do it. Tirtouga is great too, buuuut I just had to have Archen first.

What ability would you give Archeops to make it a more useful Pokemon?
I'm always a fan of Moxie or Defiant, but I don't play competitively so there are better choices.

Which bird Pokemon do you think is most likely to be the modern counterpart of Archeops?
I think arguments can be made for Pidgeot, Swellow, Staraptor, Unfezant, Braviary, and Gliscor. It's hard to tell though.

PageEmp

Years
When given the choice, did you choose the Plume Fossil?
I never picked the fossils in regular play, but when I did my Black nuzrun yea I picked it, as I wanted a flyer.

What ability would you give Archeops to make it a more useful Pokemon?
Not sure about that since it already has massive stats to make up for the bad ability and it's probably fast enough to KO things before it can take damage. I dunno, maybe sturdy or something.

The last time I used Archeops was, well, in said Black nuzrun. He did serve me well, KOing stuff he was meant to kill. And...
(Spoiler, I might post this run once in this site)
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back