• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

129 - MAGIKARP

600px-129Magikarp.png

"In the distant past, it was somewhat stronger than the horribly weak descendants that exist today."

I swear to God, when I evolve, I'm going to kill you all. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Magikarp! Infamously pathetic and useless, Magikarp is best known for its ability to Splash...and little else. Whilst it also learns Tackle and Flail (although WHY you would want a Magikarp to learn Flail when it can evolve ten levels earlier is questionable) Magikarp is one of the weakest Pokemon there is. Available in pretty much every body of water across nearly every region from Kanto all the way through to Kalos – and available for the low, low price of $500 in Unova! - putting a rod in the water guarantees you'll come across one eventually. In the anime, Magikarp is much more useful at times, being powerful enough to take down Ash's Pikachu with minimal effort, and being a literal gold mine. Did you know that one Magikarp lays one hundred golden eggs?

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Magikarp! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Have you ever taken the time to level up a Magikarp to evolve it?
  • How do you think Magikarp grew to be so weak and pathetic today and how much stronger do you imagine it being in the distant past?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Have you ever taken the time to level up a Magikarp to evolve it?

Well, I tried...and I failed. Miserably.

How do you think Magikarp grew to be so weak and pathetic today and how much stronger do you imagine it being in the distant past?

I think it could be almost as strong as Gyarados, or maybe it could've been something like Basculin. But then Arceus was all like "Screw it" and nerfed Magikarp.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
ha, well it's only memorable because of its evolution and how drastic it is from is stat wise and looks wise. it's just one of those iconic pokemon a basic fan should know... i really don't have much of an opinion on it.

and no i never took the time to raise one from level 1 up, i think i took the lazy way out and caught a level 15+ one.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
I tried.....and got to 18 and it was really painful so nope and i dont like gyarados that much anyways

How do you think Magikarp grew to be so weak and pathetic today and how much stronger do you imagine it being in the distant past?
I mean it could have actually been a decent pokemon originally it looked it and it coulda idk maybe actually learned a water type move or atleast learn some tms?!?! But no gf basically made it the useless pokemon that evolves into a powerful giant serpeant thingy that also mega evolves and kills everything

Years
njsM29P.gif

Magikarp used Fly!

Also, this is the best Magikarp image of all-time, though it's got some questionable content in it. Don't say you weren't warned!
Spoiler:

If you consider using an Exp. Share as taking the time to evolve it into Gyarados, then yes I have! And there's also the time I left a Magikarp in the daycare long enough so that it reached level 100, but I didn't evolve it. I kinda felt bad, but then remembered it was just a Magikarp, haha.

I don't think it was much stronger in the past- maybe along the lines of the other fish Pokemon.

Oh, and while I don't have much to say about Cresselia from the day before, Sailor Moon's theme song is now stuck in my head. So thanks for that.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Magikarp's iconic, that's for sure, lmao. I've leveled a Magikarp up through the use of Exp Share or getting a high-leveled one. I never really used Gyarados often anyway, because I prefer to have only one flying Pokemon in my party and that Pokemon must know how to use Fly... and Gyarados doesn't. I don't think Magikarp was that strong in the past, maybe it was just along the likes of other fish Pokemon, as it was said. Or maybe Magikarp was just one powerful Pokemon and Gyarados didn't exist, but something happened and the more powerful Magikarp mutated to Gyarados leaving the weaker ones having to toughen up to evolve. It's a bit silly, I know. :P

pkmin3033

171 - LANTURN

600px-171Lanturn.png

"Lanturn's light can shine up from great depths. It is nicknamed "The Deep-Sea Star.""

In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Lanturn! Based off the far more terrifying football fish, Lanturn inhabits the depths of the ocean, attracting the unwary with its mesmerizing light...and giving them a hug, if the joyful expression on its face is any indicator. With a dual water/electric typing and the Volt Absorb ability, Lanturn offers some interesting possibilities for competitive play...or it would if its stats weren't so diabolical and it lacked a method to recover, anyway. In the anime Lanturn has only ever had minor appearances, appearing under the ownership of Characters of the Day as a part of their team – most notably, one knocked Ash's Buizel out of the running in the Wallace Cup - or in passing in the ocean.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Lanturn! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Given that Lanturn isn't even half as intimidating as its real-life counterpart, would you prefer to see a) an evolution of Lanturn that resembles its real-life counterpart more closely, b) a Mega Evolution of Lanturn that resembles its real-life counterpart more closesly, or c) another football fish-based Pokemon?
  • Despite Lanturn's fantastic typing and ability, it is relegated to the lower competitive tiers. How would you change that if given the opportunity?

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Ah yes, one of the banes of my Pokemon existence. I always thought this Pokemon was pretty awesome but despised having to battle it.

Question 1: I choose C! I don't like the idea of having Lanturn evolve or have a mega since I think it has a nice niche as it is. Having another football-fish Pokemon would be a good counterpart to have to rival Lanturn

Question 2: The biggest and most obvious ways to help Lanturn in the competitive world would be to increase some of its stats, like Sp Def and/or it Sp. Atk or Speed stats and give it some decent recovery moves to help mask some of its defensive deficiencies.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I ignored Lanturn for the longest time because I thought chinchou's design was so much cooler... which I still do, but what can you do? I got around to finally using it and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I'd def use again.

I'd totally love to see a more realistic version of what Lanturn is based on, a separate pokemon entirely.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Nope, every time I used a Gyarados, I got it from fishing one from the wild. :)

I think probably back then it probably must have been like really powerful.

Given that Lanturn isn't even half as intimidating as its real-life counterpart, would you prefer to see a) an evolution of Lanturn that resembles its real-life counterpart more closely, b) a Mega Evolution of Lanturn that resembles its real-life counterpart more closesly, or c) another football fish-based Pokemon?
I choose B. I feel a mega could fit it nicely.

Despite Lanturn's fantastic typing and ability, it is relegated to the lower competitive tiers. How would you change that if given the opportunity?
Probably give it a larger movepool, or like above, a mega.

Adam Levine

Years
What were your first impressions of Lanturn, and has that opinion changed over time? If so, what prompted that change?

Lanturn just looks...cute. It has that look that makes it as adorable as Lapras. Great, everytime aI go to this thread every Pokémon showcased becomes my favorite. But I just love its fantastic typing.

pkmin3033

711 - GOURGEIST

711Gourgeist.png

"Singing in eerie voices, they wander town streets on the night of the new moon. Anyone who hears their song is cursed."

Are you outta your gourd?! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Gourgeist! A grass/ghost Pokemon introduced in Gen VI, Gourgeist, along with its pre-evolution Pumpkaboo, are unique in that they come in four different sizes, which can affect its ability and, in the case of the Super Size form, its cry as well. It also has its own exclusive move, Trick-or-Treat. In the anime, Gourgeist has appeared as Jessie's main Pokemon in the Kalos saga, although its track record for winning battles against te protagonists is no better than any of Team Rocket's other Pokemon. It has, however, been successful in Pokemon Showcases.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Gourgeist! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Gourgeist's different form sizes? Is this a feature you would like to see other Pokemon have in the future?
  • Compared to the other Ghost-types introduced in Gen VI, how spooky do you think Gourgeist's design is?

FireSnow

Years
Question #1: I do think it is an interesting premise and sorta cool to try and hunt for all the different sizes though I do hope it doesn't become a regular thing in the games as I'm not overly in love with it.

Question #2: This line really isn't creepy at all, at least to me. They look more like cute jack-o-lanterns, especially Pumpkaboo XD I find Phantump's line to be far more scary, especially Trevenant.

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
This one's gonna be pretty big, so I'll spoiler some of these. (I really need to work on posting here daily...)

Ho-Oh
5WzKHCF.png

I don't remember seeing an anime episode until the early 2000's, but had I been a 5-9 year old kid who was hyped for Pokémon's launch in America on that day the episode premiered, I'm sure that experience would've been nothing short of incredible. I would say, "What is that mysterious creature?", "When is it ever going to appear next"?, and I would be thinking about it on and off over time. And once Gold and Silver were revealed, had I found out then that the mysterious, beautiful creature is none other than Ho-Oh, I would have gotten Gold in a heartbeat. Ho-Oh has truly become one of my favorites, and I absolutely think that its special appearance in the very first episode, way before the world knew of any Gen II Pokémon, makes up for its lack of major appearances in any movie or other episodes. Just that beautiful little bit of foreshadowing of a new part of the Pokémon world to come, even when we've just started exploring the first; it was also an incredible way to begin the huge, ongoing journey of Ash and Pikachu. It's just...magical. :)

As with pretty much every decision of which version to get, I believe Ho-Oh's design was my reasoning for getting HeartGold over SoulSilver, and as with my other version-preference Legendaries, it's one of my favorite Pokémon. Naturally, I prefer Ho-Oh over Lugia, but don't get me wrong, Lugia's really awesome. I think its design, especially its rainbow wings, are absolutely beautiful. I also find it to look a bit like Kirby's Dyna Blade, one of my favorite characters from that series.

9zYiXO8.png

In terms of minor appearances, it's cool that Ho-Oh got a notable appearance in Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl, but it kinda sucks took it out in SSB4. In competitive, it seems to have amazing stats, decent move coverage, and a fantastic HA in Regenerator to make up for its unfortunate weaknesses.

Oshawott
vAy6yfp.png

Spoiler:

Shedinja
RWyb5uG.png

I really love this guy! His design, his unique traits (typing, ability, HP, method of evolution), everything! Plus, it splits off with one of my favorite Bug types, and Pokémon in general- Ninjask. It's one of the Pokémon I remember most from my early days of playing Pokémon. Word often spread around the school about him and his evolution method. I know I had one myself during Gen 3 at one point, but I'm pretty sure I had already knew of its attainment method by then :P Naturally, on my first playthrough of AS last year, I evolved my Nincada with a spare party slot, although I never really used him though, perhaps I'll go back and level him up someday :P

As for theories about its birth...maybe if a trainer has an unoccupied Poké Ball, a part of the Nincada's spirit transfers to said Poké Ball when evolving into Ninjask? I dunno, but it's a very interesting concept to think about to say the least.

Zubat
NRBLEex.png

Despite its infamy for being so prevalent in caves, I love Zubat! He's an absolute cutie, he's got a nice color scheme and design, two good evolutions with admirable stats, and an iconic cry. I remember this one quite a bit throughout the years, whether it be constantly encountering it in caves, or using one in battle. I caught one early in my AS playthrough, named him Venom, used him quite a lot early on, and he's currently a Crobat.

Luvdisc
Anp2XNA.png

Spoiler:

Frillish
WH2JUfs.png

Spoiler:

Wobbuffet
hMZtu2D.png

Spoiler:

Pyroar
t4cNodo.png

Spoiler:

Kingler
M3CbsqT.png

Spoiler:

Banette
XatjGBf.png

Spoiler:

Lickilicky
GApwya8.png

Spoiler:

Cresselia
7JRHFHP.png

Another one high on the list for me of the most gorgeous, adorable, beautiful Pokémon. I never got to catching her in Platinum, but she was the first Soaring legendary I encountered and caught in AS, so I finally have one. ^^ She seems pretty viable; super bulky and decent Special Attack. What I really want for her to have is a Fairy type. She's got a couple Fairy moves, and she could use a bit more. Plus the typing would really fit her design. She could use Dazzling Gleam, Draining Kiss, Aromatic Mist, etc.

I'm a bit tired, and I don't want to squeeze the last couple onto this one, so I think I'll do the remaining three tomorrow.

Adam Levine

Years
Compared to the other Ghost-types introduced in Gen VI, how spooky do you think Gourgeist's design is?

Not so spooky at all. It looks so adorable and kinda weird at the same time, but not spooky.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I love Gourgeist!! I think it's a great design and such an interesting typing. Everytime I play x or y i really have to hold back from raising one. it's not exactly spooky, but if you think of a ghost as a spirit you should know not all spirits are scary. I think it makes for a nice theme team, like if you wanted to raise a halloween like team or just a darker team in general.

pkmin3033

396 - STARLY

600px-396Starly.png

"They flock around mountains and fields, chasing after bug Pokémon. Their singing is noisy and annoying."

Today's Pokemon of the Day is Starly! Continuing the tradition of having a Normal/Flying type at the beginning of the regional Pokedex, Starly is the first to have three stages since Gen I's Pidgey. Like Pidgey in Kanto, you'll find it (or its second evolutionary stage, Staravia) along just about every route in Sinnoh that has a patch of grass to stand in. Such is their frequency of occurrence that they are the only non-Legendary Pokemon (excluding those you can take with you in Amity Square) to get Gen Overworld sprites in DPPt. Starly can also be chosen for a partner in the second Pokemon Ranger title. Of course, Starly was one of the first Pokemon Ash obtained in Sinnoh in the anime, although it evolved slightly sooner than his Taillow from the previous generation.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Starly! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How do you feel about Starly, compared to other Normal/Flying types from previous generations?
  • In the Gen V games, Starly's hidden ability was the same as its default ability, Keen Eye. What hidden ability would you have given it?

FireSnow

Years
This bird is second only to Taillow and Swellow in my eyes. Major fan of this Pokemon and I will without fail have this bird on every one of my playthroughs in Diamond, beating down all Fighting and Grass types in its way.

Question 1: I think it is the second best Flying/Normal type behind only Taillow's line, not putting Megas into the equation.

Last edited:

Adam Levine

Years
How do you feel about Starly, compared to other Normal/Flying types from previous generations?

Starly was too "the same" compared to other birds. When it evolves, though, it actually is different.

pkmin3033

244 - ENTEI

600px-244Entei.png

"It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe."

You are MAMA. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Entei! One of the three Legendary Beasts said to have been resurrected by Ho-Oh after the burning of the Brass Tower, alongside its brethren, Entei introduced one of the most infuriating concepts to the Pokemon games: roaming Legendaries. After encountering this Pokemon for the first time, it will then take to wandering the region, and will promptly flee or use Roar if you encounter it in the wild. Having recently received access to Sacred Fire, Ho-Oh's signature move, Entei has become considerably more threatening in battle. Entei's most famous anime appearance was as the star of the third movie, Spell of the Unown, although a shiny one also had a minor role in the thirteenth movie.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Entei! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How long did it take you to catch Entei in the second generation games and first generation remakes?
  • If Raikou, Entei and Suicune had a race, who do you think would win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back