• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The new "How To Cure Writer's Block" thread

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
hiNlSiG.jpg

Share your tips and tricks!

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
Years
When a muscle is cramped, you stretch it! So exercise that writing muscle, flex your fingers and crack your knuckles, and hit that keyboard! Just type something. Write something. A word, at the beginning of the sentence. You'll end up writing something eventually. Whether it's of quality or not, is not important because that was never the concern you set out to address anyways.

Normally, reading or watching something does help stave off writer's block. Consume content to create your own -- don't regurgitate though, plagiarism is like vomit, disgusting.

Last edited:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I'd love to say that just writing works for me, but generally, it's walking away for a while that helps. Granted, you really need to be commited to writing to be able to pick it back up.
I seperate a writer's block into two kinds, the 'where the hell do I go now,' and the 'how do words work what do I put on the page.' Both I solve by not writing, but the first is really just thinking about the situation, and not being afraid of removing words. The second one, for me personally, tends to be burn out. I'll be able to pick it back up at a later time, mostly.

I think writing, or creating in general, is a very personal process, in that most people tend to go about in their own way. For you, walking away might be the best option like it is for me, but for others it really might be to push through and keep writing.

Years
Honestly, when I hit a wall I need to take a break until my brain starts working again. Music and a quiet room can help but ultimately just taking a rest works better than anything else.

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
I force myself to write. Generally the beginning is nonsense but I just heavily proof afterward. It works for me, and causes it to go away most of the time. If not, then time is the best remedy.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
Being left-handed, I suffer from a similar condition known as lefter's block. It has the same symptoms as writer's block except it affects the left-hand.

If I can't think of anything to write, I usually just sit there and scribble nonsensical sketches of whatever comes to my head until something clicks. Alternatively, I'll abandon trying anything creative entirely and attend to something completely unrelated, such as going for a walk, in the hope that some facet of what I am doing triggers a brainwave.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I've found that I can be inspired through glancing at other RPs than the ones I'm currently in. To see something different for a bit can trigger ideas you couldn't come up with by reading the same thing you're used to.

Back