• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: The Battle Tree - Where Strong Opponents Await!

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
Years
  • It is the Battle Tower--you pick Singles, Doubles... But instead of having all-new characters as the "bosses" (Subway Masters, Tower Tycoon, Maison... people, etc.), there are older characters filling those roles, like Wally as shown. If you beat them, you can "scout" them, and have them fight alongside you in Multi-Battles, instead of having some generic character fight alongside you.

I don't think the battles with Red and Blue were actually a part of the Battle Tower challenge (which is why they had a team of 6), but you probably unlock the ability to battle them once you reach a certain win streak.

EDIT:
    The options when the Trainer speaks to the reception lady in the Japanese trailer, from top to bottom:
    Challenge/Attempt (the Battle Tree)
    Listen to an explanation
    Change the music
    Stop (exit the menu)

Ah that's a little disappointing, I hope you can unlock more options to battle trainers later though.

I see now that battling Red and Blue is a separate thing from the Battle Tree all together, I really hope they still follow the Battle Tower mechanics though where all Pokemon are level 50 and neither player can use items, otherwise it might be a little disappointing.

I'm lowering my expectiations on this a bit, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised...

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Ah that's a little disappointing, I hope you can unlock more options to battle trainers later though.

I see now that battling Red and Blue is a separate thing from the Battle Tree all together, I really hope they still follow the Battle Tower mechanics though where all Pokemon are level 50 and neither player can use items, otherwise it might be a little disappointing.

I'm lowering my expectiations on this a bit, hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised...
    I feel you. This kind of ruins the chance for past Gym Leaders to return because there doesn't seem to be a Type challenge like in the PWT. But if we actually get a large number of returning major characters to fill in the role of "Tower Tycoon," this could still be the most enjoyable Battle Tower yet. If there are a lot of returning characters, it could really encourage players to keep battling, trying to find the character they want to scout.

Of course, battle conditions presented like in the PWT or Battle Frontier would be the best. As unlikely as it is, we'll just have to wait to see if maybe, just maybe, those can be unlocked after a certain point.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    "Change Music" I really hope this means each trainer has a custom theme. Cynthia's theme remixed with S/M style would just be insane!
    Well this is like the Battle Maison in which there are a predetermined number of tracks to pick from to use for while battling the regular Trainers. They included, in the Maison, "Vs. Wild Pokémon," "Vs. Trainer," "Vs. Rival," and "Vs. Gym Leader." Things like that; you could pick one to have it play.

Each major character could still have their own theme, however, as in each past game the Tower "leaders" had their own themes. Even the PWT, which had a "final battle" theme of its own, used the appropriate theme for each character in the battles leading up to the finale.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I feel you. This kind of ruins the chance for past Gym Leaders to return because there doesn't seem to be a Type challenge like in the PWT. But if we actually get a large number of returning major characters to fill in the role of "Tower Tycoon," this could still be the most enjoyable Battle Tower yet. If there are a lot of returning characters, it could really encourage players to keep battling, trying to find the character they want to scout.

Of course, battle conditions presented like in the PWT or Battle Frontier would be the best. As unlikely as it is, we'll just have to wait to see if maybe, just maybe, those can be unlocked after a certain point.

Yeah, I'm starting to doubt the return of Gym Leaders, but I can see old Champions and maybe even rivals coming back, and Red and Blue might join you in Battle Tree too eventually. Keeping my hype low, but I'm still happy Game Freak is acknowledging older characters and more than just the Gen 1 ones at that. I hope they can cram enough characters in here that it encourages you to keep playing to unlock more of them.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    If we could battle Cynthia/other past chars, then I'm sure we can hear their battle music. So exciting <3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Can't wait for this part; it's most likely a post-game thing. If Cynthia and Red are in this game, I wonder if this means that Lance, Steven, Wallace, Alder, Iris, and Diantha will come back.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Yeah, I'm starting to doubt the return of Gym Leaders, but I can see old Champions and maybe even rivals coming back, and Red and Blue might join you in Battle Tree too eventually. Keeping my hype low, but I'm still happy Game Freak is acknowledging older characters and more than just the Gen 1 ones at that. I hope they can cram enough characters in here that it encourages you to keep playing to unlock more of them.
    I also don't want to get my hopes up but if the Battle Tree really is SM's big "ode to non-gen 1 fans" then I'd say that having each gen's Champion(s), rival(s), and key characters would only be fair.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I also don't want to get my hopes up but if the Battle Tree really is SM's big "ode to non-gen 1 fans" then I'd say that having each gen's Champion(s), rival(s), and key characters would only be fair.

Definitely all the Champions and Rivals for sure, maybe some other characters like N, Zinnia, (AZ? Doubt it) could be neat, especially since they are characters we'll likely never see again until future remakes (BW and HGSS remakes are a long long ways away). Gym Leaders got their love in PWT but if they return too I'd be super happy, maybe even Elite 4's too.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Definitely all the Champions and Rivals for sure, maybe some other characters like N, Zinnia, (AZ? Doubt it) could be neat, especially since they are characters we'll likely never see again until future remakes (BW and HGSS remakes are a long long ways away). Gym Leaders got their love in PWT but if they return too I'd be super happy, maybe even Elite 4's too.
    I was thinking about AZ but I'm not sure if that's really... in-character, I guess? If he were to appear I'd think it would be more like a passing cameo rather than in any battle facility of any sort.

But Zinnia I could totally understand returning. And N is my favorite character in the series so I think it's safe to say I want him back more than any other character.

It's fair to say the Gym Leaders got their time to shine in the PWT so although it would be cool to see them in 3D I think I'll be okay if they don't make a return in the Battle Tree; after all, what I loved about the PWT was not only the Gym Leaders' appearances, but also the way battles were handled by theme. The Battle Tree likely won't have this so more "neutral" characters like Champions and rivals makes sense.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    Seeing Cynthia, Blue, and Red in the trailer was really surprising, I love how both Red and Blue look more older. And Blue!!!! YES!!! So glad he's going to appear in this game, and I love his design. I'm pretty sure will see Steven in the Battle Tree as well, I hope we get to see Alder and Lance as well. Since Wally is also in the game, I wonder if will see other past rivals like Silver and Barry. I doubt he'll be in the game but I would love to see Gold/Ethan as well.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 10, 2023
    This is so exciting.I was surprised to see both Red and Blue and all grown up too!? So cool!
    Just love that Red is silent and Blue's response😂.
    Really looking forward to this.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I was thinking about AZ but I'm not sure if that's really... in-character, I guess? If he were to appear I'd think it would be more like a passing cameo rather than in any battle facility of any sort.

But Zinnia I could totally understand returning. And N is my favorite character in the series so I think it's safe to say I want him back more than any other character.

It's fair to say the Gym Leaders got their time to shine in the PWT so although it would be cool to see them in 3D I think I'll be okay if they don't make a return in the Battle Tree; after all, what I loved about the PWT was not only the Gym Leaders' appearances, but also the way battles were handled by theme. The Battle Tree likely won't have this so more "neutral" characters like Champions and rivals makes sense.

Well if it's like PWT then it's non-canon and they can do whatever they want with it, like how they brought Giovanni in the PWT, then they could put AZ there, but I agree it wouldn't make sense considering he's like 3000 years old, he probably has no desire to batttle anymore.

Zinnia needs more exposure, especially since otherwise it seems unlikely she'll show up in another Pokemon game again and we didn't get nearly enough time with her in ORAS. N would be amazing, I doubt he'd use his legendary but that's okay.

Maybe if you get say... a 50 win streak in the Tree you can unlock a Gym Leader mode? Probably won't happen, it's a shame because Gym Leaders have some of my favorite designs, but oh well. But the rivals definitely need to come back, especially Silver, hopefully all 3 Gen 5 rivals too, but I could easily see all the Champions coming back, which would give Diantha a chance to redeem herself, and see Adler and Lance again.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Well if it's like PWT then it's non-canon and they can do whatever they want with it, like how they brought Giovanni in the PWT, then they could put AZ there, but I agree it wouldn't make sense considering he's like 3000 years old, he probably has no desire to batttle anymore.

Zinnia needs more exposure, especially since otherwise it seems unlikely she'll show up in another Pokemon game again and we didn't get nearly enough time with her in ORAS. N would be amazing, I doubt he'd use his legendary but that's okay.

Maybe if you get say... a 50 win streak in the Tree you can unlock a Gym Leader mode? Probably won't happen, it's a shame because Gym Leaders have some of my favorite designs, but oh well. But the rivals definitely need to come back, especially Silver, hopefully all 3 Gen 5 rivals too, but I could easily see all the Champions coming back, which would give Diantha a chance to redeem herself, and see Adler and Lance again.
    Yeah that's true. I guess with AZ it depends more on if they want to portray him as someone who took up battling more after being reunited with his Floette or not.

The thing that's great about N is that since his whole team idea revolves around catching and releasing Pokémon, he could have whatever team the developers felt was appropriate or necessary. Heck, he could even have a random team each time (using whatever formula it is they have that generates those teams that perfectly check your own).

I'm already prepared for no Gym Leaders, and I'm sure this won't happen either but if they actually made some challenge modes like mono-Type challenge or roulette or other PWT/Frontier-esque battle variations I'd be able to overlook them not bringing Gym Leaders back.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2017
    There was a rumor a long time ago that we have to establish the elite 4 in sun and Moon. So I thought maybe the old champions were coming back for the job. And we'll interview them by battling haha that would've been cool.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • The thing that's great about N is that since his whole team idea revolves around catching and releasing Pokémon, he could have whatever team the developers felt was appropriate or necessary. Heck, he could even have a random team each time (using whatever formula it is they have that generates those teams that perfectly check your own).

I'm already prepared for no Gym Leaders, and I'm sure this won't happen either but if they actually made some challenge modes like mono-Type challenge or roulette or other PWT/Frontier-esque battle variations I'd be able to overlook them not bringing Gym Leaders back.

That would be exciting! If not that I could see him using Zoroark/Darmanitan/Swoobat since they seen to be his most famous Pokemon.

I hope we get a Type Experts thing like PWT had, I have so many competitve Pokemon I'd love to throw a Monotype team together. For all we know, there could still be a Battle Frontier in this game (although I doubt it and I'm already pretty satisfied with this), I just hope there are more options in the Tree, like say you make 100 battles and then you unlock a mode where you just get to fight the main trainers in a row (with maybe better teams).

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2018
    I don't mean to bring up Maison because Maison is awful, but one redeeming part about it is that after like 10 battles or so (I think it's 10?) You unlock the Super modes (Super Singles, Super Doubles, etc) that essentially means you'll be fighting better teams, so I think if even Maison can have something like that, Battle Tree probably would, also.
    It was 20. Also didn't every battle facility have a super mode or was that recent?

Back