• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon you hated at first then came to like

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
    Years
    Have any of you guys/gals had a Pokémon you absolutely hated at first then come to like quite a bit later?

For me, it was Incineroar.
    When I saw it's leaked image, I was like "oh dear God, please let it be fake!" & When it was revealed to be real, I was like "it's going to be Fire/Fighting, isn't it? No wonder that people says that they're running out of ideas..."
    Then I learned it was Fire/Dark, which made me like it a little more, as that type combo hasn't happened yet for starter Pokémon.
    Why I really like it now is a kinda strange reason, as I was listening to one of my favorite songs, "Eye of the tiger" & I realized just how perfect Incineroar is for the song.

While I think I'll still choose Rowlet as my starter, I no longer have any negative feelings towards Incineroar & it's pretty cool in its own way.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Greninja, definitely. I remember when it leaked, I was like "God, that has to be fake!" Then after actually seeing it in the games, I gradually grew on it.

Years
    I'm still a little bit upset over the Litten line, especially since a Fire type line of cats was just introduced in Kalos with Litleo/Pyroar, and they're some of my favorites of the 6th gen. Litten and family are starting to grow on me though, and I might end up using them as my starter at some point.

Another one that I didn't like to begin with was Gardevoir. Never understood all the hype behind it outside of its design, and never thought to use it. Then, I got a hold of this Gardevoir EX card, and my opinion on it changed. Then I decided to give it a chance in the games, and it's slowly become one of my favorite Hoenn Pokemon.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    Tangrowth - Even though I frequently talk about how I find it adorable, I actually didn't really care for it at first. But as the years passed, I began to see a derpy sense of cuteness in it, and slowly grew to love it. Also, I've recently been using it more often in my team in Pokemon hacks.

The Oshawott line - I always thought Oshawott was ugly, and didn't care for its evolutions either. Then Pokemon Blaze Black and Volt White (two hacks by Drayano60) came along, and I was persuaded by Dewott and Samurott being Water/Fighting, so I picked Oshawott as my starter in Pokemon Volt White. And I had no regrets. Additionally, Pokemon Conquest came along, and I've also used the Oshawott line quite a few times there, and they were really good too. Nowadays, I still find Oshawott ugly, but I love Dewott and Samurott.

Chespin - I remember when the Kalos starters were first revealed, and I found Chespin so ugly. But a few years ago, I bought plushies of them, and the Chespin plush was so adorable that it redeemed Chespin as a whole for me. Also, Chesnaught is a pretty good Pokemon.

Years
    Trubbish and Garbodor. I thought at first they were bad Pokémon, but they're actually pretty decent given a chance!

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen today
    I used to hate Kecleon, but now it is definitely one of my favorite Gen 3 mons.

Years
    • Seen today
    Kind of a different "hate" from you guys, but I was really scared of Omastar back in the day as its face just spooked me as a kid.

Now I value it as a strong special-attacker, and it doesn't scare me that much anymore.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    I thought Skrelp was really bad looking! He just looked so sad and ugly. I like him now because of Dragalge

Terumi-kantoku

Cat Lover Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2017
    Mimikyu. I found it ridiculous at first. Like the son of some Gamefreak executive invented it. But little by little I noticed its charms... The finishing blow was its song. There, I like you now, buddy.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    Decidueye. I think the leaked artwork must have not done it justice because I hated it and wanted to find an Everstone at the earliest opportunity in Sun/Moon to ensure Dartrix never evolved. But since it's official reveal, the in-game sprite and battle animations look amazing. It also looks a lot less humanoid than it did in the leaked pictures for some reason.

However, nothing will ever change my stance on the other two. Do. Not. Want.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
    Lucario. "Man, a fighting/steel type? Weak to fighting and fire? Steadfast or Inner Focus abilities? Come on!"

Now he's part of my main X/Y team because he's a hard hitter. Don't be too quick to judge I guess.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    I wasn't feeling the love when I first saw Crabrawler, but he's grown on me.

#CrabrawlerForPokken

Years
    Klefki was one Pokémon where I was like: "are you freaking kidding me?". But then I started using it and it's actually a decent 'Mon so I don't dislike it as much anymore.

PercyX

The darkness has just begin...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2021
    I always hated Zoroark but it looks so cool to me now (and that shiny blue one *-*)

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2017
    Tangela, found it useless but the obsession came when I couldn't find it anywhere on Pokemon Go

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
    Dialga and Reshiram were both my least favorite legendarys but I had to play it when my brother (Who you guys banned and is still banned) had Pearl and Black2 I had to play White2 and Diamond but I came to like them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    The main one that comes to mind is Greninja (and its two pre evolutions too) when they where first revealed, really hated their designs, especially with Greninja (first thing that came to my mind that scarf looking-thing is it's tongue), dislike to hatred grew stronger when half the trainers I battled on online battles used them - not too long ago (about a month) a friend of mine convince it to try it and slowly been liking it. It's now high favorites of mine.

Gardevoir is another, I'm not really a fan of Pokemon that look "too human" (Jynx, Machoke, Hariyama, Magearna to give some examples), once I learned how useful and it's Mega form was, giving it a chance been liking it (the other Pokemon I mentioned earlier exception of Magearna I given a chance still don't like them).

Swirlix, Slurpuff, Spritzee, Aromatisse, Klefki, majoirty of the other Fairies - at first didn't like any of them, after giving the type in general, and playing a Fairy team (same team where I also learned to love Gardevoir) changed my opinion, it's my second favorite type.
    At first when I saw them in my mind 'they look terrible' I didn't imagined I would end up loving them

Years
    I used to hate Garbodor, but thanks to watching Marriland's Black Wedlocke series where he used a Garbodor named Turkey during the Elite Four, I started to appreciate the garbage monster notably. Even to the point I look at it and I'm like "it really wants you to hug it!".

Hard to believe Marriland hated Garbodor before that moment as well, but it's true.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Dhelmise!
    Spoiler:

I saw this Pokémon from the demo datamine as one of the few that hadn't been revealed officially at that stage and I just thought.. oh. It didn't really strike me as a good Pokémon and I wasn't a fan of the design. Fast forward a month to playing Moon and facing off against one changed it for some reason? I think it's a really cool concept for a Pokémon, it has a nice type combination and although it's not my favourite of the new Pokémon, it's definitely gone up in my estimation since first seeing it. I'd probably even use one on my Sun team if I didn't already have a Ghost-type planned for it.

Back