• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genderless Genders!

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
  • If Genderless Pokemon (for e.g. Rotom, Klingklang, Dialga, Zekrom etc) had genders, what would they be? Which ones would be better suited to be male/female? Which ones could be either?

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • Did you just assume their gender? Check your privilege.

But seriously, they're not supposed to have genders. They have no reproductive organs to identify what they are. Legendaries don't breed at all so they have no use for Genders.

Years

But seriously, they're not supposed to have genders. They have no reproductive organs to identify what they are. Legendaries don't breed at all so they have no use for Genders.

You do have a point, but the point of this discussion thread is to say what gender a genderless Pokemon could be if they weren't genderless, and that's something based on opinion.

Anyways, I think an obvious genderless Pokemon that would fit a certain gender would be Solgaleo and Lunala being male and female respectively. Even their Pokedex entries notably mention them being "male and female evolutions of Cosmog". Another possible legendary pairing would be Reshiram (who is feminine-looking) and Zekrom (who I think looks very masculine).

Another one I can think of is the version-exclusive UB pair Pheromosa and Buzzwole. They definitely look like female and male respectively from a design perspective.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years

"If"!

You do have a point, but the point of this discussion thread is to say what gender a genderless Pokemon could be if they weren't genderless, and that's something based on opinion.
    This ^

Assuming a Gender is exactly what the Thread is about.

Btw, Manaphy can breed & it is Legendary. All Legendary Pokemon aren't genderless either.

I don't think having a gender / reproductive organs has anything to do with breeding, or else how would u explain some genderless Pokemon being able to breed (even if its only with a Ditto, which again is genderless).

Anyways, I think an obvious genderless Pokemon that would fit a certain gender would be Solgaleo and Lunala being male and female respectively. Even their Pokedex entries notably mention them being "male and female evolutions of Cosmog".
    Totally agree with this. The Pokedex entries of Solgaleo & Lunala clearly state that they are the male & female evolutions respectively of Cosmog, so I wonder why they were not given those genders, I mean they wouldn't have been the first Legendaries to have a Gender.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    zekrom is a strong, independent black woman who don't need no man

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    What's interesting is that the Pokedex refers to Lunala as a female and Solgaleo as a male, despite them both being genderless. So do they both actually have genders? :o
    It is kind of strange how it outright states that they are male/female evolutions of Cosmog yet they appear in-game as genderless. It could be that the Dex entry is based off of old lore, where the people of Alola assumed that Solgaleo and Lunala were of a certain gender despite not actually being it, or it could be that Game Freak for some reason just wanted to keep with tradition in boxart legendaries being genderless in spite of the Dex entries.

The origins of it anyway probably lie in that, iirc, the sun symbolizes in part men, while the moon in part symbolizes women. One could possibly make a case for Zekrom and Reshiram actually being of a gender too, given the whole Yin & Yang theme.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • /googles genderless pokemon

ok, there's way too many so i'll just narrow it down to the ones i think would be best suited:

Articuno - Female
    Diancie - Female
    Golurk - Male
    Tapu Lele & Fini - Female
    Tapu Bulu & Koko - Male

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • And I actually... never thought about it that way as far as the Zekrom and Reshiram having genders. o.o Would you mind explaining that?
    I can try explain that.

In Chinese philosophy, Yin is the passive female principle of the universe, characterized as female & sustaining & associated with earth, dark & cold, while Yang is the active male principle of the universe, characterized as male & creative & associated with heaven, heat, & light.

This is the Yin-Yang symbol:-

Genderless Genders!

As u can see, its divided by an S-shaped line into a black (dark) & a white (light) segment, which represents yin & yang respectively. And the little dots represents each containing a 'seed' of the other.

Zekrom & Reshiram are based on Yin & Yang respectively. Also, Zekrom was designed to have a tougher & more masculine design, while Reshiram's was designed to have a light, airy, feminine design.

Based on that, Zekrom should have been male & Reshiram should have been female.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    And I actually... never thought about it that way as far as the Zekrom and Reshiram having genders. o.o Would you mind explaining that?
    In the English versions of the Gen V games, Zekrom and Reshiram are called the "Deep Black Pokemon" and the "Vast White Pokemon", but in the Japanese versions they're called the "Black Yin Pokemon" and "White Yang Pokemon" respectively.

Yin and Yang symbolize a number of things, but one of them is genders. Yin, the black part, represents female, and Yang, the white part, represents male. Going off of that, one could say that while labeled genderless in the games, Zekrom is female while Reshiram is male. Though from what I've seen, other people tend to call them the opposite, that Zekrom is the masculine one while Reshiram is the feminine one.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    hey guys I think Dhelmise is male because it's based off of a helm and historically only males have been captains of ships

hey guys I think Dhelmise is female because it's green and the favourite colour of one of my friends is green and she's a girl

Years
  • When it comes to Pokemon that don't have genders, I have considered that if Virizion had a gender, it would be a female.

That is definitely what I would think of as well, along with assigning Cobalion, Terrakion and Keldeo as male. I would also make Celebi, Meloetta and Diancie female, considering their designs.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • In the English versions of the Gen V games, Zekrom and Reshiram are called the "Deep Black Pokemon" and the "Vast White Pokemon", but in the Japanese versions they're called the "Black Yin Pokemon" and "White Yang Pokemon" respectively.

Yin and Yang symbolize a number of things, but one of them is genders. Yin, the black part, represents female, and Yang, the white part, represents male. Going off of that, one could say that while labeled genderless in the games, Zekrom is female while Reshiram is male. Though from what I've seen, other people tend to call them the opposite, that Zekrom is the masculine one while Reshiram is the feminine one.
    There's a reason why Zekrom should be male & Reshiram should be female, apart from what I said in my previous post.

Agreed, Zekrom is the Yin Pokemon & Reshiram is the Yang Pokemon, but in the games, Zekrom is the mascot of White & Reshiram of Black.

Let's look at the Game covers & the Yin & Yang design.

Genderless Genders!

Genderless Genders!

Now compare the game covers to the Yin & Yang design, notice the similarity? Zekrom represents the Black dot in the White section, while Reshiram represents the White dot in the Black section, which is why Zekrom should be male & Reshiram should be female.

Trainer 766

Dialga is female because she's always nagging at you for what you did several years ago.
    Giratina is male because...Satan.
    Arceus is male because...God.
    Palkia is male because just look at him!
    Rayquaza is female,that thing is loud AF that both Kyogre and Groudon retreat.
    Kyogre is male because...Jaws.
    Groudon is male because...look at him.
    Rotom can choose whatever gender he wants,how can you say a washing machine,a lawnmower,an oven,a fan,and a Pokedex be one of the genders?
    Golurk is robot,kind of.
    Virizion is male because of that look.
    Terrakion is male because MAN AF.
    Coballion is male because...steady.
    Keldeo is male because look at his Bolt from.
    Reshiram is female,yang.
    Zekrom is male,yin.
    Mewtwo is male,being "Jesus".
    Mew is female for giving birth to Mewtwo(who the hell says legendaries don't have reproductive system).
    Articuno is female.
    Moltres is female.
    Zapdos is female.

Screw it,I'm tired.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • They all could be whatever they wanted. We technically can't know the gender of any Pokemon, unless they can speak to us telepathically, but even then they aren't human so the gender spectrum may not even exist to them or may be something completely different.

Back