• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Would you like a FRLG Remake?

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    Just an idea for a 'remake':

Revisiting Kanto (and possibly Johto) but 20 years on from RBY, living in a new area and taking the gyms on differently. Just a suggestion, and I don't expect people to agree exactly but maybe something along the lines of starting in Cerulean city, with Bill now becoming the resident professor after Oak. He gives out the starters (maybe the same, maybe different I don't know), and the player begins their journey.

Some gym leaders will have left, or moved on to the E4. Some gyms might be relocated and have entirely new types - I like how Cinnibar Island got destroyed so maybe the Pokemon League decided to move that gym to Lavender Town, and a new ghost type leader took over (Agatha's granddaughter?) or whatever.

Then the player goes round the cities in a new order - Saffron isn't blocked - chasing after a new villainous team. Maybe the team could be after all of Oak's and Mr Fuji's old research papers after their retirement, I'm just trying to think of a reason to make the player go to Pallet Town. That would mean that the final showdown could occur in the same place as most people's first ever Pokemon battle, as the player takes on the team leader in a fight in (on top of?) Oak's old lab as the legendary birds swarm overhead.

In my head this game would have slightly darker tones than the original (the villainous team actually causing some damage) but that's just how I see it. It would be a new game but with a chance to implement new mechanics into a favoured generation. Anyway, just an idea off the top of my head.

Pinta77

Like others have said, I'm kinda tired of seeing Kanto. I think the only way they should do it is if they do it similar to how they did it in HG/SS. Maybe they can have a brand new region in a game, and then when you beat the game, you can travel to Kanto for post game.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • No. I don't. It would be nice for them to make a 3D version of the world, but I would much rather see it with Johto or not at all. The regions are far too small. I would rather see Sinnoh and Unova get a 3D world before Johto and Kanto.

And I am just tired of seeing Gen 1 stuff. Especially Kanto.

DarumaLuge

Pokemaniac
    Years
  • Honestly, I'm really sick of all these remakes. I think they should stick to developing new ideas. I feel like X and Y ended up being underdeveloped and not fully baked due to focusing too much on ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Honestly, I'm really sick of all these remakes. I think they should stick to developing new ideas. I feel like X and Y ended up being underdeveloped and not fully baked due to focusing too much on ORAS.

Same here. I'm hoping the VC releases mean the end of remakes for good. We now know that its possible to patch the old games to be compatible with the new ones, so why bother with remakes anymore?

Plus, this opens up the opportunity for sequels instead, which have more potential, IMO.

Years
  • Right now, no. First I'd like to see D/P/P remakes first. After that, perhaps. DarumaLuge has a point though, X&Y should've gotten more attention in terms of development..

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Actually, yes. I feel it's too early for a DPPt remake as you can still play the original games on the current generation of handhelds. A RBY/FRLG remake would just be really cool to commemorate the 20th anniversary.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • After seeing how Sun & Moon ended, I'd rather have a game that took place in Kanto but followed the events of those games with Lillie rather than remakes of remakes.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • After seeing how Sun & Moon ended, I'd rather have a game that took place in Kanto but followed the events of those games with Lillie rather than remakes of remakes.

This!!!!! 10000% I think it would be awesome to pick up where the story left off and have a fresher take on Kanto.
    Remakes are nice and all, but to be honest I prefer it when a game isn't remade almost identically. Going back to Kanto with a brand new feeling would be refreshing.

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
  • Like most people said, yes but a fresh story. Something like "20 years later...."
    I'd love that (psst, idea for rom hackers! We need this shiz)

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    Maybe at some time, but not until a remake of diamond and pearl (I could love a remake of platinum instead, but that probably will not happen). There would definitely there would need to be a change to the story. The same story 3 times would get boring.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Like most people said, yes but a fresh story. Something like "20 years later...."
    I'd love that (psst, idea for rom hackers! We need this shiz)

That's a good idea o: A more modern Kanto. Was about to say that I honestly didn't want more Kanto games, but if things were different, the plot was new, the gym leaders had changed and maybe some areas and cities too, then it would be a different story. They should have done that for the 20 year anniversary though (;

redjj1

Old School
    Years
  • Would love a FR/LG remake on 3ds or possibley the 'switch'.
    I own FR back in England but never got around to finishing it- so I would actually buy a VC version.

That said, maybe the story should be left behind and a revisited Kanto would be better... with added towns, and a 2nd region to explore (Johto lol...) or even just more islands. Alola islands worked really well, so if there were a few more islands (both small and large) along with Kanto I could see it working.

I just want familiar terrority with new extra things... if that makes sense.

Probably just because I grew up with gen I-II-III and have just come back to the series.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Eh, I don't really want one. Kanto is really overdone. It seems like everyone likes Kanto more then Johto or Hoenn (The best regions :p)

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Kanto is overdone at this point as well. I would much rather see a Sinnoh remake first.

Shitik

Generic Bio
    Years
  • Heck yeah! FR and LG were the first Pokemon games that I've played and I would love to bring back some amazing memories of Pokemon.

Back