• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
of course, i am my country and my country helped make me.

i mean i may not like how the USA spies on everything, but if we go to war because of it then i only have 2 options:

1. Move to Africa
2. Support

Years
Patriotism seems like a neutral thing, and is positive or negative based on the person. I think of it is wanting the best for your country and wanting to improve it and do right by it.

Nationalism, I would say, is more about thinking your country is better than other countries without really being open to discussing its strengths and faults.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
if we go to war because of it then i only have 2 options:

1. Move to Africa
2. Support

You should know, that many African countries have wars with each other all the time, so if you want to move to a country in Africa to not have war, it'll be useless.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2017
You should know, that many African countries have wars with each other all the time, so if you want to move to a country in Africa to not have war, it'll be useless.

my mom and dad are Nigerian, it's kinda my native place

that's why i would move to African instead of a more "pleasant" Area.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
I didn't say NSA would start a war, I said war will be started, thanks to NSA.
Aka, countries fighting each other, and the 'man in the middle' caused it.

It's like:
Burger King and McDonald's start a war, because KFC spied on them.

I get what you're saying. But in the end, it still isn't a good things. xD America is getting into things that isn't their business...oh wait. We've always done this. lol I swear. I think this country is like obsessed with other peoples business. o_o

I still would move to Canada if a war happened.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
I would like to move to Canada, if I am to move anywhere, if it's just me. If I have a child - or plan to have children - on the other hand, I'm going to Japan. This is because of their increasing focus on Yutori Kyōikueducation. I'm not going to have my child force-fed stupidity. I'll have them prepared for life itself.

--

I would love to be a part of the land of the free and home of the brave.

I would love to live in a society that believed in life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness above all.

I would love to live in a place where innovation, imagination, and personal potential were seen as the agents of opportunity.

I would love to be amongst a populace given full equality regardless of gender, race, nationality, religion, creed, etc...

I would love to be allowed all knowledge in the world for free, and to not need to pay for recognition of this knowledge.

I would love to have my human rights - including the right to speak - allowed, regardless of what I say or do. After all, as long as I don't go against others' rights, I deserve my own...right?

Unfortunately, the statements above do not match the nation I am in right now.

Oh, and the name of my nation...?

United States of America, land of the free...home of the brave... *shakes head*

zakisrage

In the trunk on Highway 10
Years
I'll support Australia when I need to, but the government should stop being so freakin' racist.

Don't think you'll be safe in, let's say, Morocco, you'll actually be even more bullied there, if you're not a Muslim.

Tell that to the millions of European tourists visit Morocco and have a great time. Do you even know any Moroccans? (One of my friends was there, and she said it's very modern. The people wear modern clothing and a lot of them look European - some Moroccans have blond or red hair. The people were very nice to her and didn't care that she wasn't Muslim. Then again, she said she saw some very obnoxious Moroccans on her trip to Amsterdam, and she said the ones in Morocco were nicer. The rudest people I've met were from Europe.)

Last edited:
Years
It's interesting that in Western countries, a lot of you guys felt disillusioned. Even when I brought up the possibility of there being different feelings for politics and values or culture, it seemed that politics overpowered - and it seems to a certain extent that the culture is political.

I'd like to bring up a counterpoint. As Chinese, I find that my cultural aspect of my nationalism to be strangely apolitical. This is the sense in which I could find most common ground with a fellow Chinese who would disagree with me politically, say, they were from Taiwan. I think there is a Chinese nation that comprises one soul and one history that had somehow found its way into at least two methods of political expression. I wonder if South Koreans would feel the same way.

My question now is: do you feel able to separate the idea of a nation of people from the country? For example - perhaps there is not much to be proud of for the American government, and perhaps not in its people for all the obesity and ignorance and so on, but what about American culture and American values? Do you take pride in the very fact that you criticize your country so much? What about your country's unity - is it something that you care about, or would like to see more of? I think it's very easy to see the difference in China's case - you hate the Party but you love the culture.

Poki

Banned
Years
БЪЛГАРИЯ НАД ВСИЧКО!
БЪЛГАРИ ЮНАЦИ!

I wouldn't feel like a patriot if I didn't write that in my own language. I guess my answer's obvious. :P

zakisrage

Years
I still identify more with Lebanon, my birth country, than Australia. I am very proud of my heritage to the point where people think I rub it in their face. However, I'm not afraid to criticise Lebanon's political and social problems.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
No. I am loyal to my fellow countrymen for giving of themselves such that I could live a better life, even if it that giving was something that was mandated. However, loyalty to my countrymen does not mean blind agreement with and capitulation to whatever the larger aggregate of them believe. Loyalty means that I do my part to give back to those who gave to me. Blind agreement is something that I give to no one.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
BlahISuck said:
do you feel able to separate the idea of a nation of people from the country? For example - perhaps there is not much to be proud of for the American government, and perhaps not in its people for all the obesity and ignorance and so on, but what about American culture and American values? Do you take pride in the very fact that you criticize your country so much? What about your country's unity - is it something that you care about, or would like to see more of? I think it's very easy to see the difference in China's case - you hate the Party but you love the culture.

I don't feel pride in any of these things, because like I mentioned before it suggests superiority and I don't think any culture is superior/inferior to another. Beliefs/customs of a region develop naturally over time and it's not something I think anyone should really feel "proud" of like it's their accomplishment.

I believe in global unity. Solidarity with people based on nation of origin/race just results in all the schisms we see today in humanity.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
Nope. Blind patriotism is precisely what Communism is about, as well as Dictatorships. Those who blindly accept their country like that are doomed to lay waste to said country, and allow it to become corrupt and collapse on itself. The entire point of establishing the appearance of a Democracy in the USA was specifically to avoid blind patriotism and encourage people to speak out against mistakes made by the government. Funny how the Parliamentary seems to actually do a better job of that now.

If you do not speak up about the problems in your country, then you will only have more problems to deal with next year.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Blind patriotism is precisely what Communism is about, as well as Dictatorships.

The entire point of establishing the appearance of a Democracy in the USA was specifically to avoid blind patriotism and encourage people to speak out against mistakes made by the government.

Wrong. Communism is an economic system seeking to get rid of the class issue. Dictatorships and Monarchies are necessary for rebuilding nations and people that are at their lowest, since a large group of people making decisions would only bicker, leaving their citizens to rot.

No, the point of establishing Democracy in the U.S. was so that those of great economic potential could rule over others, rather than a hereditary line. The U.S. ALWAYS had blind patriotism; hell, if not for that blind patriotism, the American Revolution wouldn't have happened in the first place.

Years
Perhaps we could be a little more subtle in our analysis of patriotism? Of course nobody would be in favour of blind patriotism, it's a loaded term to begin with.

I don't feel pride in any of these things, because like I mentioned before it suggests superiority and I don't think any culture is superior/inferior to another. Beliefs/customs of a region develop naturally over time and it's not something I think anyone should really feel "proud" of like it's their accomplishment.

I believe in global unity. Solidarity with people based on nation of origin/race just results in all the schisms we see today in humanity.

Must it suggest superiority? I am proud of Canadian and Chinese values and culture but (with the exception of Canada vs. the US hehe) I don't see it as making my culture better than yours. I do think it's unique and valuable, but I do think it's different than saying "we're better than you". And we can be proud of things without assuming an air superiority - if you're proud of your child's accomplishments, you don't necessarily think he's on another level compared to other children, do you? - all the while praising that he's the best kid in the world. I think it's possible to be proud without implying a stratification of nations between those which are worth more and less.

Years
I for one do not support my country over everything. Yes, I respect and love it for me being a part of it, but I can't when it heads into the wrong direction. The government is awful, I mean hilariously awful, especially the governor(We don't have presidents. Just mayors and governors.). I sincerely curl up into hiding every time they make a bad decision. There's two types of candidates: PPD(Democrats) and PNP(Those who want to align themselves more with the USA). Sometimes there are more than two candidates with different parties.

However, what really makes my blood boil is how stupid they can be. For example: A few months ago, the governor was interviewed by this TV news channel of the USA and they asked various questions about the economy and how was the government handling it. We are indebted for over more than 7-18 million of dollars and when they asked him if we still needed financial help. This is how he responded: " Well... All help is welcomed. If they are willing to help us, then we accept it"(He can't even speak English correctly, and he's supposed to be representing us??). He couldn't even give a straight answer about how bad the situation was. Secondly, I almost died when the channel said that we only depend on the tourism because everything else we had was a joke. Everything they said was completely true, and I felt the shame for being here.

Overall it's good to support your country in any way possible, but its always important to keep track of what's primarily important. The people here criticize all the time that they do not want to end up as state 51 because they'd be forced to speak English, and not be able to be lazy while getting economic help from the government. And I could also go on how the educations in the schools are a joke but I best not continue down this path.

Here where I live, when its time to vote, sports, or whatever else, the patriotism is strong. Strong enough to make people cry because their party lost, and the people who were routing for the lost party end up being mocked and looked down upon for being a part of it. I swear, patriotism blinds people from progression.

This is all but my honest opinion of how I view my country.

Last edited:

zakisrage

Years
I think that, ideally, one should be patriotic. I may identify more with Lebanon, but I still am proud to live in Australia. I fly the flag in my room (together with the Lebanese flag) and on Australia Day, and I appreciate the many different aspects of life here. Many immigrants just can't grasp this concept.

Some people don't like that I downplay the British influence on Australia - I still think we Australians should go our own way with things instead of looking to Britain. I realise that, as an immigrant from a non-English-speaking country, I can't have the same experience as someone who's descended from the original British and Irish colonists.

As for patriotism in Australia...there really isn't that much, especially among the younger generations. We have something called a cultural cringe. Australian media is thought of as inferior to American, Canadian, British, and Japanese media. We're exposed to foreign media more than our own. Most younger people also don't use a lot of Australian slang - they prefer American or British slang (I tend more towards the former). Many of the older people who were born in Australia are patriotic, but these people are often out of touch with modernity. The reason why a lot of people don't fly flags is because they've been hijacked by flag-waving bogans who believe that Australia is only for Anglo-Celtic people. There's also a lot of controversy over the whole descent from convicts thing, with some people being ashamed of it and others proud of it to the point where they rub it in your face.

It's true to some extent - our shows are pretty bad, especially our godawful soap operas. Our animation is especially bad - I'd be willing to share one of the worst Australian animated movies with you. Our music tends to be crap too - you can see why our music rarely gets released in the US. Our movies aren't as bad, but a lot of people prefer to watch foreign movies. This is probably why a lot of big-name Australians tend to move to the US or the UK - often permanently - in contrast to regular people who mostly stay in Australia. (Still, it's not as bad as New Zealand, where a lot of regular people move abroad. I highly doubt Lorde is going to stay in New Zealand.) I'm very guilty of favouring foreign media over Australian media.

Last edited:
Years
Australian media is thought of as inferior to American, Canadian, British, and Japanese media.

Huh, that's funny. We have the same thing in Canada as we think of our national media as pretty inferior. Take Justin Bieber for example ;)

It's interesting. Most of the responses to this thread comes from an Anglo perspective. I, on the other hand, identify pretty strongly with my Chinese background, and it's an identity that transcends politics and the whims of modernity. I think it's possible to be proud of your country without supporting it (I guess supporting means the politics of the times). I consider the Communist Party to be just a part of China, which is a much greater concept. As a Canadian, I can be very much opposed to what our Prime Minister is doing with regards to the environment and foreign affairs, but I still consider myself to be a loyal Canadian regardless of whether I agree with him or not.

I'm sure all of us have our flag-waving moments when the Olympics roll around every four (or two!) years :P Here's a question: when do you feel the most patriotic? and how often does it happen?

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
Years
I support the ideas that the United States was founded upon, like the Bill of Rights(which I realize wasn't an 100% American originated idea). I don't support the current government that has a habit of ignoring whichever of our rights get in the way of what they're trying to do.

Nationalism may be a bad thing, but don't be expecting any global human unity anytime soon, if ever. Even before nationalism really came into being, people had disagreements, and they had battles or wars. Humanity will always fight. It is not just human nature, it's just nature. Predators compete with other predators for food and territory. In fact, most animals engage in some degree of competition for resources, territory, and even mating rights. Humans are still animals.

Years
Well, I am nationalist in a sense that I am proud of being Korean, as in being proud of the history, values, and culture of Korea. That's not to say that I support what the Korean government is currently doing - which honestly I have no clue on as I don't follow Korean politics, but usually the news coming out of that hole is not good.

Back