• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Full Steam Ahead

pkmin3033

...hey, it's just gone 7am and I worked hard on that awful title.

Anyways, following on from a small discussion in the DCC - because almost everything I do on this forum seems to stem from that thread at the moment - I have decided to give Steam a try. The meteor shower that signifies the end of the world this will trigger is scheduled for next week, when I potentially make a thread asking for smartphone game recommendations. At best you might get a little blood or fire raining from the sky today, but it's nothing serious.

Aaaaaanywho. Steam is a terrifyingly huge store filled with utter crap for the most part and, whilst I know what my tastes are, I am also trying to expand on my horizons a little and I really have no idea where to begin. I know Steam do a whole refund thing now, but I'd prefer to get it right the first time and buy something I'm actually going to enjoy. Because it's such a massive thing a lot has almost certainly slipped under my radar too, so part of the reason I'm making this topic is to put these things on my radar.

So, if anyone has some game recommendations for me, I'd love to hear them! Stuff you've enjoyed and stuff you think I'd enjoy both is fine; as I said, I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit and I'm open to new experiences right now, provided they don't cost a fortune. I'm primarily an RPG gamer; old school stuff in particular is going to resonate with me more on PC I think. I'm rather fond of action/adventure games, and I am extremely interested in experiencing more good visual novels too. FPS I'm indifferent to. I loathe puzzle, fighting, racing and sports games, so don't bother recommending those whether you enjoyed them or not; I'm not THAT open-minded just yet. High-spec games are probably a bad idea too; my PC specs aren't brilliant...I don't think. They're below:

Intel Core i5-210U 1.7GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 4400, up to 1792 MB Dynamic Video Memory
    4GB DDR3 L Memory 1000 GB HDD

Well, that's what the little sticker below my number pad says. Obviously, I have no intention of upgrading or anything. I'm running Windows 8.1 and I won't be going to 10 anytime soon.

I am acutely aware of the existence of Minecraft and Undertale and have no intention of getting either, so please don't recommend those to me. Minecraft doesn't appeal to me and I am sick and bloody tired of hearing about Undertale, so I'm not buying it out of stubborn obstinance. Nobody ever said I had to be entirely ratonal.

I also have no intention whatsoever of buying games you can buy on current generation consoles - I'm not converting or anything; at best this will be a "casual" thing for me, my handhelds will always be my home, and my PS3/PS4 my first port of call for multi-platform titles - as I'm mostly just trying to fill in some gaps. Although if a 360/Xbone exclusive is on the store I'd be interested in hearing of it if you think I should play it...I will almost certainly buy The Last Remnant at some stage, for example.

But otherwise, all is good. Would greatly appreciate any recommendations you all have to offer! Ta~

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • For some reason, RPG games based out of RPG maker are getting so common that it might be a great sign of nice JRPG-ish games to flourish out from brilliant authors, or it may be an epidemic that Lord Gaben needs to shut down. As a former RPGMaker addict back in teh good ole days, I love the growth of the RPGmaker scene. it really depends if one is willing to pay for these kinds of games or not. Then again, most of them are sorta like affordable in a sense that these RPG maker esque indie games are things that we don't get to see on consoles. The beauty of PC.

Aside from the influx of RPGmaker based games, Akiba Dead and Undressed is a rather entertaining game that may be worth checking out. What makes the game is that it is one of those games that truly embraces the accurate portrayal of Akihabara, one of the most famous places in Japan for several, and i mean delicious reasons ;). BTW this game is on a 50% Sale RIGHT now, and for some reason, it often gets a sale discount. Oh and don't worry, there's a JP/EN voice setting option, which i highly recommend to set on JP voices for those who can't bear LELGlish. The gameplay however, is something that's left for anyone to like though.

Also, I highly recommend Tree of Savior once its declared F2P, which i think it already is. it will be in English, and for those who need a lil background check on TOS, this was made by the same guy who made Ragnarok Online.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Could totally list some greats here (which I will- off the bat, you'd probably be into Half Minute Hero (one of my favorite games), Undertale (if you can ignore how loud the internet's been about it- it's still a fantastic game), and Ys since there are a good number of the titles on PC and, if you like 'em, no better place to bite), but instead it's probin' time.

You ever really explored the Rogue-like genre? How about Rogue-lites?

Oh and don't worry, there's a JP/EN voice setting option, which i highly recommend to set on JP voices for those who can't bear LELGlish.
    The situation is thus: you are faced with one blaspheming non-believer who has not been graced with the wonder that is a little sister's English voice. He is undoubtedly a heathen and must be dealt with as such. How do you proceed?

Bay

Years
  • If you're cool with turn based RPGs on Steam, how about Child of Light? It has an interesting feature where you can delay your opponent/monsters' action and also it has nice art and music. The writing your mileage may vary as the dialogue will be the characters talking in poetry. I think it should run fine on your computer.

pkmin3033

For some reason, RPG games based out of RPG maker are getting so common that it might be a great sign of nice JRPG-ish games to flourish out from brilliant authors, or it may be an epidemic that Lord Gaben needs to shut down. As a former RPGMaker addict back in teh good ole days, I love the growth of the RPGmaker scene. it really depends if one is willing to pay for these kinds of games or not. Then again, most of them are sorta like affordable in a sense that these RPG maker esque indie games are things that we don't get to see on consoles. The beauty of PC.

Aside from the influx of RPGmaker based games, Akiba Dead and Undressed is a rather entertaining game that may be worth checking out. What makes the game is that it is one of those games that truly embraces the accurate portrayal of Akihabara, one of the most famous places in Japan for several, and i mean delicious reasons
    11.%20wink.gif
    . BTW this game is on a 50% Sale RIGHT now, and for some reason, it often gets a sale discount. Oh and don't worry, there's a JP/EN voice setting option, which i highly recommend to set on JP voices for those who can't bear LELGlish. The gameplay however, is something that's left for anyone to like though.

Also, I highly recommend Tree of Savior once its declared F2P, which i think it already is. it will be in English, and for those who need a lil background check on TOS, this was made by the same guy who made Ragnarok Online.
    Are the RPGMaker games good quality, by and large? I've seen a fair amount that look quite appealing, but an equal number that make me cringe, especially with the low-budget anime character portraits. Any in particular you'd suggest?

I had Akiba's Trip on Vita a while back...I sold it, haha. I didn't mind it, but I struggled to get into it and I'm kinda indifferent to the whole stripping thing, so I'm guessing it lost a lot of what probably makes it an appealing game to others. Good dub voice cast, though. For the most part.

I'll keep an eye on Tree of Saviour. I've only heard of Ragnarok Online and never played it - I have played Ragnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 though - but if it's free I can always back out of it if I don't care for it. Ta :3

You did mention that you're primarily an RPG gamer, perhaps Skyrim might be a good game to play. It's very open-world, but there's always quests and whatnot to do, and if you're tired of it, there's an entire modding community that basically can overhaul the game in so many different ways (When I say this, I mean like, you can overhaul your bag, you can overhaul graphics, the list goes on and on!). It also has DLC that you can get too. The best time to get it though is during Steam sales, it usually is discounted quite heavily. It's one of the games I never did expect I'd really like, but now that I have it, it's a game that I really do enjoy and need to get back to playing now that I'm out of school.

Also, Skyrim doesn't take too much to run at a decent framerate. I'm not sure how well Integrated Graphics such as yours would go, but if you have roughly 2GB of video memory as you stated when configured, you should be able to get it going rather well.

Also, if I may ask, why are you not upgrading to Windows 10? One benefit of Windows 10 is full DirectX 12 support - All other versions of Windows won't support it, and DX12 is actually very impressive in terms of performance in comparison to previous versions, if the games that you buy (Or games that come out in the near future) support it. As well, if you can afford the upgrade, getting more RAM won't ever hurt. 4GB is passable for low-end gaming, but more games are starting to want 8GB so that you're not running out of memory.
    I've got Skyrim on PS3, and I found it dreadfully boring...sandbox games and I don't get along. However, you've reminded me that I should look into it, because PC Skyrim has something that makes it immediately more appealing: mods. Turning Dragon Shouts into the Thundercats rallying cry, turning dragons into Thomas the Tank Engine, screwing around with game settings in general...this is something highly appealing. I'll check it out when it goes on sale next. Thanks! :3

There are two reasons I'm generally averse to upgrading: first is that I expect it'd crash halfway through and balls up my laptop; I already experience a lot of hassle with Windows Updates and as I haven't got this laptop on insurance, I'd have to pay a small fortune to get it fixed. The other reason is that I torrent a lot and I'm worried about Windows 10 interfering with that...not sure if that's an unfounded worry, but there we go. Better safe than sorry. Upgrading my RAM isn't really an option for me either even if I could probably afford it - I don't really want to screw around with the inner workings of my laptop, and as this one is almost two years old and I get a new laptop every three years or so, it doesn't seem worth it. I'm quite happy with running low-spec games for now; it's only going to be a casual thing for me.

Could totally list some greats here (which I will- off the bat, you'd probably be into Half Minute Hero (one of my favorite games), Undertale (if you can ignore how loud the internet's been about it- it's still a fantastic game), and Ys since there are a good number of the titles on PC and, if you like 'em, no better place to bite), but instead it's probin' time.

You ever really explored the Rogue-like genre? How about Rogue-lites?
    I had Half-Minute Hero on my PSP! Not a bad little title at all. I've been giving half a thought to picking it up for my Vita digitally somewhen, just for the sake of it. I am not getting Undertale. The Ys games are on my eternal to-do list; I keep meaning to pick them up off the PS store, because I quite enjoyed Celceta. I could pick them up on PC instead to save myself the memory card space on my Vita...which, whilst not an issue, I would prefer to hoard for Vita titles. I hate swapping out Vita memory cards, they're so damn tiny. So yeah, I could get those. Will wishlist them for future reference :3

I don't have as much experience with the roguelike genre as I would like, but one of my favourite games of all time - The Guided Fate Paradox - has enamoured me of the genre. I'd definitely be up for checking out others! It's a genre, like DRPG, that I need to experience more of, I think.

If you're cool with turn based RPGs on Steam, how about Child of Light? It has an interesting feature where you can delay your opponent/monsters' action and also it has nice art and music. The writing your mileage may vary as the dialogue will be the characters talking in poetry. I think it should run fine on your computer.
    I keep meaning to buy this, too - I didn't get it for Vita because I was put off by the digital-only release, and at the time I didn't have the memory card space for it. I've long since decided I'd be interested in this and I'll pick it up when it goes on sale. Thanks! :3

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Doom and Destiny (and no its not the title of those two games LEL). This is currently one of the most overwhelmingly praised ones right now. Sadly, I have to play this one myself but given its numerous awards and overwhelmingly positive praise from those who've played it, Its worth a shot. The boxart may not look appealing because of the LELNOTANIMESTYLEARTEWWWW, which doesn't really matter for most people ;).

OH RPG also sounds like a promising title.

I need to get my even more RPG hooked friend to curate some titles for me though. Obviously he's more of the RPG Gawd than I am.

And on soemthing more on my personal level... 5089: The Action RPG. Open World? Check, First Person kinda like Borderlands? Check check. Loads of things to do and items to gather? CHECK KONGO. Sci Fi, Futuristic and GUN CUSTOMIZATION? SSS. I'm going to like save another round of money from my Steam Wallet for this one. and the specs are low enough to not require a LELCRYSISPC to run.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Are the RPGMaker games good quality, by and large? I've seen a fair amount that look quite appealing, but an equal number that make me cringe, especially with the low-budget anime character portraits. Any in particular you'd suggest?
    No, they aren't. The vast majority are standard Turn-Baseds and a surprising number use built in assets like the provided characters, which is...not exactly a sign of quality.

The only 2 I'll recommend are Skyborn, which looks great and's pretty creative gameplay-wise (probably the others by the same Devon- Exhoes of Aetheria looks pretty neat) and Eternal Senia, because it's free and a surprisingly satisfying time sink.

I am not getting Undertale.
    As someone who had zero interest, and was actually quite skeptical prior to playing, I have to ask: any reason why? I mean, one way or another, you will be getting it, because you make dangerous friends, but why won't you play it? Other than the incredibly loud fandom that makes Touhou at its height seem quiet by comparison.

I don't have as much experience with the roguelike genre as I would like, but one of my favourite games of all time - The Guided Fate Paradox - has enamoured me of the genre. I'd definitely be up for checking out others! It's a genre, like DRPG, that I need to experience more of, I think.
    Ah, nice. Well I gave you my favorite, One Way Heroics (though I probably should've bought you +, since it adds so much). As far as Roguelikes go, Crypt of the Necrodancer is a Rhythm take on it. The art's great, there's a lot of content, and you can use your own music (though the existing OST's pretty solid), and I recommend it cheap. Dungeons of Dredmor was one of the better ones way back when, though you don't hear about it too much these days, mainly because Steam's exponentially bigger these days, but it's still probably one of the best Roguelikes on Steam. Also, The Pit, but not having played too much of that I can't say.

Now, for Roguelites. It's more of an unofficial name for games that borrow from Roguelikes (almost always with permadeath and random generation), so less of a genre and more of a descriptor. I won't really rec any of these since I don't know what you're into, but some of the ones I enjoy most are Spelunky and Rogue Legacy, which gets cheap. People seem to like Risk of Rain, and Necrum leads a Binding of Isaac cult. Also, FTL is a thing- pretty fun. But eh, these are all usually cheap or bundled, wait. I'll give me targeted recs some other day.

As for other games, Momodora's cute and fun. Rabi-Ribi, too. Secrets of Grindea's a beautiful Action RPG with questionable portraits. Don't touch the PC ports of Blazblub, they're bad.

200% Mixed Juice if you end up liking 100% Orange Juice's charm. War of the Human Tanks because I /know/ you'll love the charm there. Shadowgate if you're old and played the original. Or not. Great adventure game either way.

Those are...some. There are a lot of games and I usually don't keep recs on hand, but that's it for now. Using my phone for this was a bad idea.

Either way, hope it helps.
    Phone response HENSHIN!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Sorry for being a nitpick on your specs, but some (not all) games really really hate PCs that rely more on Intel HD graphics. My previous computer could not handle most graphic-heavy games because I had a crappy Intel HD graphics card that almost fried my PC. I mean, I'm not saying your computer sucks when it comes to playing games (an i5 is good enough). I'm just saying in general. xD

Games I'd recommend? Please play Transistor. It is really the most amazing game out there. Best story, best graphics, etc. Also Ori and the Blind Forest, and Bastion. Also great games.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Hi!

Well I only have one game on steam, and I only did an account for this game: Stardew Valley.
    I started a thread about it, here.
    It's highly addictive. If you have played Harvest Moon, it's almost like that same game.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • If you haven't already, give Black Mesa a try. It's a remaster of what is considered one of (if not the) best FPS' ever. Do be warned it does have some very basic puzzles to solve once in a while but not the kind you're most likely thinking of.

It currently sits at the top of my best game ever list, and they haven't even finished the final chapters yet (though it does work as a complete game in it's current state)

Welcome to Steam! I hope you enjoy the upcoming summer sale... If you survive of course!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • My recommendations are Don't Starve for a sort of rogue-ish survival experience with a wonderful coat of paint on it. The Tim Burton-esque art style is certainly a very appealing feature, but it is a very deep game that will have you trying desperately to survive over and over again. Worth every minute I say.

Second, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. More of a bullet hell rogue-lite, but again, worth every minute spent. I honestly think that Isaac has some of the best game design out there. All the enemies have unique and recognizable patterns, the floor plan is always different each time you play, the bosses leave you with a feeling of accomplishment when you best them, and defiance when they best you. It currently holds the position of most hours spent on my library if that tells you anything.

If you care at all for simulations and city building, Cities: Skylines is the best city builder of all time. Even better than Sim City.

And I know you said no Undertale, but it's so cheap and as someone who claims to love old school RPGs I feel you would be doing yourself a disservice by not playing it. I was skeptical of it at first myself, but once I got going it really charmed me. I won't go into a gush fest or anything because you've probably heard it all, but I implore you to reconsider your stubborn stance on the game.

That is all. Welcome to Steam.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I know you said not undertale, but I don't think you have a good reason NOT to play it. Best RPG I've played.

Back