• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

*A Freshly Scented Garden* Grass-type Club

Rain T.

"You clods!"
Years
  • I feel like a lot of Grass type Pokemon are pretty focused with status moves. And while that makes sense, it's just not my battling style. Which kinda stinks, because I really like Grass types. I'd like to see the Grass type paired with a type that's got a good amount of power. Grass/Dragon (yes, I know, we've got Mega Sceptile, but I'd like some non-Mega Grass/Dragons as well) or Grass/Fire. Grass/Fighting would be neat too.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I guess my partner will be Leo, my Leafeon. :P
    Could you also message me maybe telling me what this place is all about? :)

Please read the rules and regulations: you wouldn't pick Leafeon (or more like yon't be able to pick it) and filling up our official form if you have read it thoroughly. {XD}

I don't mean anything bad, but that's a funny question! {XD} What if this is a criminal group? >:) This is a club where you can discuss about Grass-type in general. You can compare them to other types, but careful not to stray somewhere far or you might get reported for off-topic. :)

I feel like a lot of Grass type Pokemon are pretty focused with status moves. And while that makes sense, it's just not my battling style. Which kinda stinks, because I really like Grass types. I'd like to see the Grass type paired with a type that's got a good amount of power. Grass/Dragon (yes, I know, we've got Mega Sceptile, but I'd like some non-Mega Grass/Dragons as well) or Grass/Fire. Grass/Fighting would be neat too.

I feel you there. The Grass-type can be sort of contradicting, there are a good number of Grass Pokémon with great offensive stats, some are even part of the Overused tier from Smogon. However the Grass-type is often seen as a supporter, cleric. Because of the current type chart matchup, Grass-type is often avoided when considering team building. Sadly we have only less than 10 members at the OU.

Grass/Fire is needed, it's an almost perfect combination of typings. This Pokémon needs to be a speedy one while able to hit hard!

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    lol I'm sorry. I'm new at this. xD Didn't really understand the partner thing. :P
    My partner will be Cottonee. :P

Welcome and you're officially accepted! ^_^ So far you are the most special member we have here, it took you two posts to complete a sign up! xD That also happened at the Water-type Club, you're really totally new about this club thing, eh? xD

So which part you didn't understand? About picking a partner? Or the partner limitations?

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I think it was the partner limitations. He wanted Leafeon but realized Eevee was not a possible partner choice because it isn't a Grass-type itself, but it's all cool. Not everyone can understand a sign-up process for clubs at first hand.

I was thinking about that too. Good news is Leafeon is gonna be offer as an event someday.

For those who thinks the this evolving and limiting partners are not cool. I made that decision to promote the Club -- if one really loves that type a lot, then I'm sure they are willing to participate. That is why the likes of Shaymin and Leafeon should be only awarded to those who've shown they are part of the Club community. :)

Years
  • I think it was the partner limitations. He wanted Leafeon but realized Eevee was not a possible partner choice because it isn't a Grass-type itself, but it's all cool. Not everyone can understand a sign-up process for clubs at first hand.

lol Yeah, it was pretty much this. And partly because I thought those neat gif's were there just for show. xD

I feel like the only way to make grass work is to actually take advantage of the status inducing moves. It's their advantage over other types for the most part.
    They can paralyze, poison, and put others to sleep. They just don't really have burn, but they are still really crippling. My Cooper (whimsicott) agrees.

And I think that turns off a lot of people from the typing. People like fast and damage. And there's few grass types that can actually do that.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    lol Yeah, it was pretty much this. And partly because I thought those neat gif's were there just for show. xD

I feel like the only way to make grass work is to actually take advantage of the status inducing moves. It's their advantage over other types for the most part.
    They can paralyze, poison, and put others to sleep. They just don't really have burn, but they are still really crippling. My Cooper (whimsicott) agrees.

And I think that turns off a lot of people from the typing. People like fast and damage. And there's few grass types that can actually do that.

Lol. Sorry if things are too confusing! xD

If you're talking about why Grass-type Club isn't popular because people are turned off by the typing then uh no. Pokémon Club is relatively quiet compare to other sections. {XD}

As for Grass-type in general, I really agree with your point. We need a lot of fast hitters! I'd like to see a Grass/Fire to be exact, as they sync perfectly. But that Pokémon needs to be speedy and hit hard. :P

New topic:
    Which Grass-type Pokémon deserves a Mega Evolution? Why this Pokémon in particular?

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • Hmm...I kinda want to see a Mega Trevenant. Bet everyone was expecting a Grass type starter. It bet it would look pretty awesome, and I like seeing one of my favorite Pokemon get Megas. Errr...that's kinda of the only reason actually. I like how it already performs in battle, though I guess some power boots wouldn't be bad.

Being predictable now, I think that those poor Grass type starters (except for Veunsaur and Sceptile) deserve their Mega forms too.

Years
  • I agree with the other starters. I think Meganium is in desperate need of one and they have a chance to make her useable again.
    And also hoping that meganium's design improves a little bit with the mega as well. xD

How about a mega Sawsbuck? Changes into grass/fairy typing because it's distantly related to Xerneus? xD

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Hmm...I kinda want to see a Mega Trevenant. Bet everyone was expecting a Grass type starter. It bet it would look pretty awesome, and I like seeing one of my favorite Pokemon get Megas. Errr...that's kinda of the only reason actually. I like how it already performs in battle, though I guess some power boots wouldn't be bad.

Being predictable now, I think that those poor Grass type starters (except for Veunsaur and Sceptile) deserve their Mega forms too.

I agree with the other starters. I think Meganium is in desperate need of one and they have a chance to make her useable again.
    And also hoping that meganium's design improves a little bit with the mega as well. xD

How about a mega Sawsbuck? Changes into grass/fairy typing because it's distantly related to Xerneus? xD

Well, Grass-type Starters receiving Megas are sort of given, the only question is when is it gonna happen? But I'm not further elaborating on the starters.

I would like to see a Mega Roserade, she needs to be speedy and hit hard like a Hydreigon. >:)

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Mega Roserade would be great too. I used a shiny Roserade (I loves him so much!) during my playthrough with X version. I was pretty satisfied with performance in battle, but there's always room for improvement!

The reason why I brought up Roserade, it's not only because it's my favorite Grass (along Vileplume and a few Grasses actually). It's because the Abilities Roserade has, are no longer beneficial to its kind. Grass Pokémon are immune to Powder moves (a natural Overcoat), so that makes Natural Cure less useful. While Leaf Guard, which are Budew and Roselia's Hidden Ability, gets useless than ever.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • The reason why I brought up Roserade, it's not only because it's my favorite Grass (along Vileplume and a few Grasses actually). It's because the Abilities Roserade has, are no longer beneficial to its kind. Grass Pokémon are immune to Powder moves (a natural Overcoat), so that makes Natural Cure less useful. While Leaf Guard, which are Budew and Roselia's Hidden Ability, gets useless than ever.
    I suppose that is true, though mine has Poison Point, so I've never really dealt with a Roserade that has a useless ability.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I suppose that is true, though mine has Poison Point, so I've never really dealt with a Roserade that has a useless ability.

Actually Roserade with Poison Point is the worst. That's why I didn't bother mentioning as I thought you know already! {XD} That said, it really means Roserade is desperate with a Mega Evolution.

Technician Roserade is good, but not great enough as she couldn't make use of the Ability to the fullest. Tragic.

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • Actually, I find Poison Point to be a favored ability of mine. Physical contact has a chance of leaving the opponent Poisoned? I like it, because then I don't have to take up one of the four move slots for an attack that does the same thing. Even though it's only got a chance of activating, it seems to activate pretty often for me.

Years
  • I suppose that is true, though mine has Poison Point, so I've never really dealt with a Roserade that has a useless ability.

Actually Roserade with Poison Point is the worst. That's why I didn't bother mentioning as I thought you know already! {XD} That said, it really means Roserade is desperate with a Mega Evolution.

Technician Roserade is good, but not great enough as she couldn't make use of the Ability to the fullest. Tragic.

I have used Poison Point Roserade but at least it's better than nothing. I never tried the Technician variant myself but with the fact it doesn't learn much to abuse it makes it not as appealing as it first looks. Pretty much all I recall that it can really take advantage of is Hidden Power and Magical Leaf, the latter of which ignores accuracy/evasion modifiers so with a Technician Roserade it'll actually hit as hard as Energy Ball, which is pretty potent.

If I had to call any variant of the Roselia line totally useless as of 6th Gen, it'd be Natural Cure because as you said, Grass-types now having auto-immunity to spore and powder moves mean it's harder to inflict status on it now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've never been good at utilizing Roserade, haha. It could wind up to be deadly with correct strategy, but I don't believe I've been able to figure out what it is nor how it works.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Actually, I find Poison Point to be a favored ability of mine. Physical contact has a chance of leaving the opponent Poisoned? I like it, because then I don't have to take up one of the four move slots for an attack that does the same thing. Even though it's only got a chance of activating, it seems to activate pretty often for me.

I have used Poison Point Roserade but at least it's better than nothing. I never tried the Technician variant myself but with the fact it doesn't learn much to abuse it makes it not as appealing as it first looks. Pretty much all I recall that it can really take advantage of is Hidden Power and Magical Leaf, the latter of which ignores accuracy/evasion modifiers so with a Technician Roserade it'll actually hit as hard as Energy Ball, which is pretty potent.

If I had to call any variant of the Roselia line totally useless as of 6th Gen, it'd be Natural Cure because as you said, Grass-types now having auto-immunity to spore and powder moves mean it's harder to inflict status on it now.

Poison Point is actually a neat Ability, it's Roserade's low Defense made it bad for her. As it's a kind of Ability that is beneficial for those with high Defensive stat, which Roserade lacks on one defensive area. Which further extends to her another Ability, Natural Cure. If she has a high Defense and Special Defense, she can take advantage of the move Rest.

Natural Cure was actually the perfect Ability for the bouquet Pokémon prior the upgrade for Grass-types. As she could act as a sponge for the powder moves and other status inflicting moves. Well the Ability still has use, Thunder Wave and the less common Will-O-Wisp can be seen in the competitive area.

Nichole, pretty much said it about Technician. It's an another classic example of bad ability-match up for her. On the other hand, look how Scizor and even Hitmontop utilizes the said Ability.

I've never been good at utilizing Roserade, haha. It could wind up to be deadly with correct strategy, but I don't believe I've been able to figure out what it is nor how it works.

The perfect offensive Roserade for Gen VI should Timid/Modest with Technician.
    Her moveset should:
    Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/Giga Drain (Life Orb)
    Sleep Powder
    Sludge Bomb/Dazzling Gleam
    Hidden Power Fire/Shadow Ball

Years
  • My Roserade's name is Duke. I also kinda have some trouble using him.
    He's a little fragile. So he doesn't really make my grass team also seeing as he's grass/poison and I have Belle for that.
    She's my Venusaur.

Roserade is a bit fragile, so I would love for it to get a mega as well and maybe get some defense boost to it along with a usable ability.

Back