• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stephen Hawking passes away at 76

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76.

His family released a statement in the early hours of Wednesday morning confirming his death at his home in Cambridge.

Hawking's children, Lucy, Robert and Tim said in a statement: "We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today.

"He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years.

"His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world.

"He once said, 'It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.' We will miss him for ever."
Being one of the most important people in science, he inspired millions with his wisdom. His passing will be felt through so many different fields of study.

Anyone have anything to say about this? Kinda hard to really explain just how much one person has done for the world.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm gonna honest, I've never read any of his theories or work before. But I know he had one of the most brilliant minds of our lifetime and the impact he's had on science and our world today means a lot. Also apparently his doctor said he wouldn't make it past 30, and he ended up living over 50 years past his life expectancy and outlived the doctor who told him that. I think it's fair to say he lived an amazing life and will be missed by millions. Rest in peace Mr. Hawking.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
honestly incredible to think how immortal this man seemed. having ALS for 55 years and contributing a large amount of knowledge to modern astronomy.

the man outlived his healthy doctors for fuck's sakes

RIP

Last edited:
Years
Just few days ago I was thinking about his party for time travellers. Because of that, I was doing little research on him and started reading some of his work. And now, I found out that he's gone... I will probably continue in my research, because more I found about him in these few days, more am I amazed by his life and work.

Years
I was browsing my phone when his passing broke, and we all know the impact he had on science, to making appearances in popular shows. I even recently watched The Theory Of Everything, the film which had Eddie Redmayne portray Hawking's early life. Definitely recommend you should all watch this movie as a tribute.

Kinda fitting he passed on what was both Pi Day and Einstein's birthday. RIP Stephen Hawking.

Mariposa

Banned
Years
honestly incredible to think how immortal this man seemed. having ALS for 55 years and contributing a large amount of knowledge to modern astronomy.

the man outlived his healthy doctors for fuck's sakes

RIP

I don't mean to undermine his accomplishments but the fact that Stephen Hawking lived more than 27 times longer than the doctors expected is the most interesting part to me. It's extremely rare to have this form of ALS and makes everything that much more impressive when you consider that one of the greatest minds of our time had a disease that should have ended his life early, yet not only did he persevere but he even managed to advance our understanding of the universe while living with a condition that would have put anyone else in long term medical care for the rest of their life. I have so much respect for Stephen Hawking for that.

Years
Stephen Hawking was one of those people that you can never imagine in your head that they'll die so unexpectedly. he inspired many. rip stephen hawking

Years
Stephen Hawking was one of those people that you can never imagine in your head that they'll die so unexpectedly. he inspired many. rip stephen hawking
ALS is terminal (but not necessarily immediate), and the fact that he went on for 55 whole years since being diagnosed with it is a miracle in its own.

Back