• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which types do you always use?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I always had a water type because of the required water HM's. Even when HM's were removed I still found myself always taking a water type. When I started playing competitively I still tried to always fit a water type on my team out of sheer habit.

Playing Sword for the 2nd type, there's so many Pokemon that I filled my team and for the first time ever and forgot to pick up a water type.

Got to the fire gym, and got rolled over by him. I still ended up winning, because I was carried by my last pokemon, which was a random noctowl I caught 15 minutes earlier. (Didn't even plan on keeping it, but now it's staying in my team).

So which types do you always go back to?

Years
  • water and electric! the former because water types are so diverse and have such varied stats/movesets/type combos across the board, and electric because it's my favorite type <3

Years
  • For some time now 4 Pokemon types I always have on my team are Fire, Grass, Water, and Electric. I'm not sure why... seems nice to have the primary elements I guess? Throw in a Flying type maybe but usually the last 2 slotsin the party can be anything.

Years
  • It seems wrong not to have a Water type Pokemon on my team, so I can't remember the last time that I didn't. I always seem to have a Flying type on my teams as well. We don't really need them for HM purposes any more, but they always seem to be a type I use to round out my teams.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    Well, back when I was younger I had a rule for building my team that was actually pretty strict. I needed to have at least one Water, Fire, Grass, Electric, and Flying type in every team, and I'd fill the remaining slot(s) with whatever I could find that looked cool enough (usually a legendary, since in my very first Platinum run, it was Giratina itself, and for Black 2 it was Terrakion).

Right now I still find myself going back to Water types, since that is the most common type there is. Flying types are also pretty important because of Fly and their decent synergy with Water types, whereas Grass types are also quite common and have tons of moves that make them useful throughout the adventure (Giga Drain can be a blessing for longer routes, for example).
    As for all the other types, though, I don't think I have any specific preference: I just play the game and try to find some interesting Pokémon to add to my team! I'll admit, though, that in certain games it's the developers themselves who make it easier for some types to make it into your team (Electric, Fighting, Bug), and make it harder for others (Ice types, they're often all pushed towards the end of the game...)

Years
  • Flying type in my team at all times, no exceptions. It's been muscle memory to get one from the convenience of HM Fly, and most Flying types I get are fast and hit hard anyway, so they're great additions to a team regardless.

(How do y'all think i discovered Crobat)

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    I always try to stick to being as balanced as I can. So I'm willing to go with any type for my team of six.

Back