• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The reading club.

maccrash

foggy notion
Years
  • I'd be more than willing to help facilitate something like this but I posted a thread about possibly creating one a couple months back and it didn't get much response. however, if this does, then I am so in.

also, like a year and a half ago when I first joined we had one of these and I'm not sure it even made it through one book. but we could make it work way better. I Have Faith.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Damn, i didn't knew, we can just revive your thread if you want.

I think i can bring at least one person to this :P I have faith too, it would be nice to have some cultural debate moments.
    don't worry about reviving my thread -- this one works fine. A Fresh Start of sorts. but yeah, I agree that it'd be really cool if we got a large-ish base of members participating in this because there'd be so much to discuss.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I'm willing to read whatever, because I haven't read anything non-academic for a year, though I'm extremely selective about the stuff that I read so my interest in this reading club may wax and wane depending on whatever is being discussed.

Fantasy is a surefire way to grab me though c:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I'd be interested in seeing something like this. I'm always looking for book recommendations!

I'm fine with reading whatever, though I'm not a big fan of horror. Everything else is fine.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'm in if I can stay active enough. Honestly, I read anything as it is so the book choice doesn't matter to me.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Hopefully a free (Library available) book :P.

I'll try to do this, or maybe not. I'm already reading so many books, but I guess that depends on what were reading.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Alright, my skype name is acatfrommars.

Sorry for the lateness. Maybe we could read The Eye of Minds by James Dashner. He wrote The Maze Runner books if you guys like those. If not, I'm totally fine with reading anything else. :)

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • The Eye of Minds looks interesting! I'm fine with that book choice if we do go ahead with it. :)

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Hello! Can't believe I haven't seen this thread yet. I'd be keen to join! I loved 'The Maze Runner' books so would be down with reading 'The Eye of Minds' (:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Question!

How long do we have to read the book? I'm in the middle of three different books right now, and want to finish at least one before starting another. I don't want to be holding the group up while I'm doing that, so I want to make sure what the deadline is for the discussions.

countryemo

Years
  • I'm in the middle of way more, but I can maybe manage, depending on how good the book is to me. And what will be going on with discussions, will there be a date, or just whenever. Like will there be a limit how much you read.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'd say we discuss one book a month. That gives everyone who wants enough time to read the book, and then we can talk about it throughout the month in spoiler tags, and quotes with others who have read it. This would also gives others who would like to join the group enough time to catch up as well. As for the book, I suggest that we suggest titles and put it up to a vote.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    I'd be fine with reading a book a month. I can handle that, and it would give people some time to actually find the book if they don't own it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    So do you guys wanna read like the Literary Works (I don't really know how to put this in a topic) like Tom Sawyer, Dante's Inferno, Shakespeare, etc. or would you be interested in more modern literature like Lorien Legacies, Fault in Our Stars, Ender series, Mzze Runner, etc. ?

I'd prefer a bit of both but feel like it would be best to keep the titles newer to draw more people's attention into discussion. The first book that I vote reading would be Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer or The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

countryemo

Years
  • I would defiantly like modern more, I already own Fault in Our Stars but haven't read it, watched The Maze Runner, Ender 1, and The Book Theif as movie's already, but I guess reading the books too wouldn't hurt.

If we do feel like also doing classic, I'll also be down though hopefully not too long / boring.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    Ender series
    Absolute love right there.
    emot-love.gif

I would like to see some classics chosen for this club, but I lean towards more modern choices. The classics can be difficult to get through because of the change in time periods/subjects/writing style, so modern books will be easier for the club to all read and discuss. Especially for any new members that might join in the middle of a book. There are some classics we could read, though.

I would defiantly like modern more, I already own Fault in Our Stars but haven't read it, watched The Maze Runner, Ender 1, and The Book Theif as movie's already, but I guess reading the books too wouldn't hurt.
    There's a lot more in the book of Ender's Game that was missing from the movie, like an entire subplot (that carries into another series of books) and characterization. So even though you've seen the movie, you can still get a lot out of the book that you would have otherwise missed.

countryemo

Years
  • There's a lot more in the book of Ender's Game that was missing from the movie, like an entire subplot (that carries into another series of books) and characterization. So even though you've seen the movie, you can still get a lot out of the book that you would have otherwise missed.

Yeah I figured, the movie seemed pretty bare bones. So willing to give that a read. What about Percy Jackson, I mean I already read most, but its a fun read, though maybe reading the past books, while still reading the current ones would be confusing (for me personally). :P

Back