• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Terrain Wars

Sirfetch’d

Much like weather wars, terrain wars are a big part of the metagame. Having that extra boost from Electric or Psychic terrain might just net you a crucial KO or having that status immunity from Misty Terrain might just keep your Porygon 2 safe from toxic.

What is your opinion on the presence of the Tapus and terrains in general. Do you enjoy the added element it brings to the meta?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • The Tapu's are amazing. Their abilities are half of that. The exception could probably be Tapu Fini whose Misty Terrain works against Scald but by no means is it a knock off Azumarill.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • i dont think the Tapu's are overpowered, but at the same time, they are definitely threatening. The Tapu's alone force team builders to add at least one check or counter pokemon on their team.

Terrain adds an interesting dynamic. I wish Misty terrain was slightly better, but I dont know how to improve it. Status seems less common nowadays with T-wave being nerfed.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I think they add an interesting touch to the metagame. I've always wanted to see how they will be better utilized back when they were introduced. Although it seems to me that GameFreak/TPC has a thing for making something stupidly overpowered and then in turn nerf it to the ground. I can see this happening for a few terrains. I'm not particularly fond of of the Tapu's, I feel like it's becoming more like last season with Primals. If you don't have at least one, it's gonna be a hard game. The Tapu's also made teambuilding pretty simple. You can toss all the staple ones and add in a few filler and be done.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • It's not entirely necessary to have a tapu, but they certainly do fit onto a number of teams - Tapu Fini is probably the most flexible as it fits as a mid-speed pivot on Trick Room teams and Goodstuffs alike, but obviously the other more offensively motivated Tapu all hit like a truck, and Lele and Koko usually provide more support than they require in return.

That being said, I think a lot of people just jam a Tapu into a slot without considering what might be better for their team.

My favorite usage of a Tapu so far has been Volt Switch Koko. Thing is a monster as a fast mode for Trick Room and has that evasion game on lock.

Back